Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Hi R Jacko Isnt SLO 707R the marathon in " Destination Doha" ■■? Jimski

R-JACKO:
Hello Mappo
Tony did you drive a leyland Marathon (SLO 707R) im sure you posted a photo of the Marathon on here somewhere but im dammed if i can find■■?
Regards Jacko

Yes Jacko

Tony drove a Marathon for Mick Hayes out of Fareham the reg was LMJ133P I think from what I can make out from these pics!

Jimski:
Hi R Jacko Isnt SLO 707R the marathon in " Destination Doha" ■■? Jimski

Hello Jimski & Pat
Thanks for finding the photo Pat.Jimski your dead right about the Marathon SLO 707R being in Destination Doha.This is a quote from Trucker Ash from the Astran site" The Marathon (SLO 707R) was loaned by British Leyland for the film but was very unreliable. Afterwards it went back to BL and later was sold onto a transport company in Fareham Hants".I just wondered if it was the Marathon that Tony drove■■?
Regards Jacko

ainacs:

R-JACKO:
Hello Mappo
Tony did you drive a leyland Marathon (SLO 707R) im sure you posted a photo of the Marathon on here somewhere but im dammed if i can find■■?
Regards Jacko

Yes Jacko

Tony drove a Marathon for Mick Hayes out of Fareham the reg was LMJ133P I think from what I can make out from these pics!

Thanks for that Pat i think you may of answered my question.
Regards Jacko

Hi R Jacko i can see what you were thinking now ! there is a likeness in the two motors. have you seen Trucker Ash’s new book just out ??The Long Haul Pioneers ? I ve Just orderd a copy from Amazon( a tenner cheaper than other distributers.) R Jimski.

[.

PS Or was that BFI? :confused:
[/quote]

BFI used to do the plasterboard out of East Leake and Gotham (usually handball :cry: Fergusons now have the contract.
Ted, your mention of the Juniper Berry brought back some happy memories, and some embarrasing ones too, (dont ask, cos Im not telling.) Do you remember the landlord who fancied himself as a comedian, and Dockyard Doris? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I beleive it`s now a restaurant.
Merry Christmas
Trev
PS. I meant the Juniper Berry is a restaurant, not Dockyard Doris :laughing:

Jimski:
Hi R Jacko i can see what you were thinking now ! there is a likeness in the two motors. have you seen Trucker Ash’s new book just out ??The Long Haul Pioneers ? I ve Just orderd a copy from Amazon( a tenner cheaper than other distributers.) R Jimski.

Hello Jimski
Going to order it this month along with destination doha.Jimski the other reason for asking about the Marathon im sure Tony said that the one he drove was an ex middle east motor.By the way did you see the Eddie Stobart program on channel 5 last night :unamused:
Regards Jacko

Hi R Jacko yes i did see it quite an impressive organisation didnt know they did so much !! although some wouldnt mutter the words
E.Stobbart :unamused: Any how as i cant drive HGV any more i like to watch anything to do with Transport.
I had a look around Mappos new MAN last week Blimey how things have Changed in 25 years wot a lovely truck ! (still would like me F89 though :smiley: or 141 scannie !!! R Jimski.

Pat…ta for digging those pics out mate, saved me the trouble. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

R-Jacko…As Pat stated the Marathon i drove belonged to Mick Hayes and was originally run by
BRS Overland on Middle East work. The Reg. was LNU133P.
The other Marathon you mentioned SLO707R was also owned by Hayes of Fareham.

Jimski…good to see you the other day mate, sorry could,nt stop long but you know i,m a bit busy these days.
5 nights out this week and 3000 plus k,s again. Just as well be over the water again aye. :laughing: :laughing:

Here,s a couple more of Graham Wainwrights Eurohaul photos.

Jimski:
Hi R Jacko yes i did see it quite an impressive organisation didnt know they did so much !! although some wouldnt mutter the words
E.Stobbart :unamused: Any how as i cant drive HGV any more i like to watch anything to do with Transport.
I had a look around Mappos new MAN last week Blimey how things have Changed in 25 years wot a lovely truck ! (still would like me F89 though :smiley: or 141 scannie !!! R Jimski.

Did you have to take off your shoes and wash your hands before he would let you in the cab? I,m sure you noticed the difference since the last lorry you drove.(nearly said truck then.Must wash my mouth out with Swarfega!).Things have changed so much eh? Did Tony have little net curtains up and a furry dice hanging up? Just jealousy on my part.Do we miss the driving? Bloody sure we do! Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Hi All, coming to think of it Charlie no i kept my boots on !! but i had to duck under the net curtains to see out and i kicked his cloggs
and Pot Noddle cups out the way !! :laughing: :laughing: only kidding Mappo !! Lovely clean truck… I mean Lorry ! Yeah your right Charlie I miss
the driving too mate !

Blimey Tony ease up mate your getting on a bit to be doing all them miles you know ! :smiley: :smiley: your putting to many miles on that new motor Tony ! R Jimski

Another of Paddy Keoghan’s pics given to me at the reunion

Ken Lane’s Springroad Transport Marathon with a Jameson trailer

Hi All, Hi R Jacko i was looking in a magazine today( think it was classic commercial) in a service area and this scammell was in there they are doing a feature on it in the Nov issue MOR891L my old motor from Meachers :smiley: R Jimski.

[/quote]

Jimski:
Hi All, Hi R Jacko i was looking in a magazine today( think it was classic commercial) in a service area and this scammell was in there they are doing a feature on it in the Nov issue MOR891L my old motor from Meachers :smiley: R Jimski.

[/quote]
…Hello Jimski
I think you’re right about the magazine.I took some photos of it at the Great Dorset Steam Fair when i get time i will put them on.Im sure it was powered by 180 Gardener when me and my friend read the placard on the lorry im sure it read that it done alot of China Clay work :open_mouth:.If i remember it said that the lorry was brought off a showman and restored in its orginal livery and that the guy came from Sussex?He was asking if anyone had any photos of it in Meachers colours?Im sure he wrote that he put a new cab on it■■?
Regards Jacko.

Hi R Jacko yes thats right they had 180 Gardeners in them Meachers had two or three of them they used to be a horrible puke greeny yellow with red chassis being new on the company thats what you got to drive ! I used to do waste papper to Rochester area, corona drinks out of Millbrook, but hell that about 30 years ago now, one of them the engine let go on the M4 was dragged back to Meachers yard in West Quay Rd. Dont know where they went from Meachers.From one of them you got up graded to an Atkinson :unamused: R Jimski.

Photos courtesy of Peter and Lesley Clue:

" Ere Dad, there’s a Boy driving that truck!"

for Fergie47 In reply to your post yes it was Rick Carlton I believe from Bulwark, he bought his experience to Southern Van Lines in bulk transport, I heard he had a heart attack after SVL went over to Les Flack. Rick was doing a lot of small van transport, I guess it got to much for him. Very nice bloke tho. I worked with them both from the start. Nobby Clarke and myself left BFC in Eastleigh to help startup SVL. all went well until, after Rick left I was in the office one day and talking about the company and (silly me) mentioned it was our company, I guess it was that loyalty thing, Les turned red and said its my company not ours!!!
OK …so looked for another job…Went contract for a while. I think if he hadnt said that I would have been there till the end.It sems strange that just after I left the driver who took over the White smashed the right hand side in and poor old Mike Winterbourne had to go repairing. That poor old White had a lot of trouble afterwards, while I drove it I must admit I nursed it and only had down time when the timing went near Windsor, and White trucks at Windsor kept it for a weekend.

Might be the wrong place but I thought I would just post a ‘hello’ from a new member. Have been working my way through the 110 pages on this thread (not there yet!) and being a now ex driver, due to retirement, from Southampton area I thought better to post than to lurk. Am now currently living in Bulgaria so the ability to meet and have a ‘ratchet jaw’ with ex workmates is a bit limited so this is the virtual alternative. :sunglasses:

Hello, After I had sold out to Tuffnels when I was at near Winchester, RICK CARLTON used to do a lot of small van work for me. After that did he do the work to Channel Isles (Comerdore) My spelling aint so good.■■
richardg

gazzer:
Photos courtesy of Peter and Lesley Clue:

" Ere Dad, there’s a Boy driving that truck!"

Hello gazzer
Did Jim Squibb park his lorries at Greenwoods Transport?I remember seeing the Merc there in the 80s.
Regards Jacko