Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

hi all , here are a few pics from this years great dorset steam fair .
bob newmans steam roller

for me this scania 110 was the truck of the show

cheers :slight_smile:

BFC was Bowden Freight wasn’t it?
Bought up lots of firms round the country including J & H at Nottingham hauling for Plasterboard out of East Leake & Gotham.

Salut, David.

PS Or was that BFI? :confused:

Ainacs: Would that traction engine signwritten “Sellwoods” of Bartley (somewhere near you) be the same family that operated out of Chandlers Ford?

Hi Mappo remember that old volvo i asked you about at the round up pulling a log craddle you tube “OVERTAKING A VOLVO F88”
Ive ased Gazzer on the A.S.R site .Jimski.

gazzer:
Ainacs: Would that traction engine signwritten “Sellwoods” of Bartley (somewhere near you) be the same family that operated out of Chandlers Ford?

Hi Gary

No I don’t think it is the same family, it belongs to Andy Selwood who lectures at Southampton University and lives in New Inn Road by the Hay Wain (which used to be the New Inn many years ago).

Next time I see Andy I will ask him.

I am at present in Daventry and will be off to Knockhill Race Circuit near Dunfermline, Fife shortly to collect another RV.

pdw…nice photos mate. Steam rallies not really my cup of tea but some tasty looking old lorries there.

Jimski…That F88 your on about i see on the road every now and then, normally on the A34. ( Should think that,s paid for itself by now aye.) :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I,ve obtained thanks to Graham Wainwright and Ash some old Eurohaul photos. Here,s a couple of them.

Whoops…Grounded near Marseilles Graham tells me.

That rings a bell - although Fergusons now have the plasterboard contract…

TRANSPORT SERVICES

Photos courtesy of Peter and Lesley Clue:
This is Peter:

This is Lesley:

And these are? Answers on a postcard please:

gazzer:
TRANSPORT SERVICES

Photos courtesy of Peter and Lesley Clue:
This is Peter:

Hi gazzer,
Never thought I’d see you in a Scania !!

Pete looks like a young Buckfast driver trying to get through Ventimiglia on a Non Quota permit with Aircraft spares !! :unamused:

Regards
Richard

Here courtesy of Jim Ski is a really rare pic I think the last rare pic of such an occasion was in black and white :laughing: :laughing:

Traniht at the bar!!!

It was today that I heard of the sad passing of a once very well known driver of Southampton, Bill Lovell. I don’t suppose many drivers on here will remember Bill but he certainly was the topic of many a conversation in past years. Bill drove a Thames Trader for Meachers Transport (when it was owned by Des Meacher). We are talking 50’s and 60’s where he spent many years on night trunk, mainly to Birmingham.
Bill was well known for keeping horses and his lorry could always be recognised as on the way home it would acquire a couple of bales of hay purloined from some farmers haystack. Also it had a large groove or dent across the front. This wasn’t due to accidents but the fact that should he come up behind you on on Deddington or Warmington hills and you were struggling, then he would give you a helping hand with a bit of a shove. All well and good until one night he tried it with a BRS motor that was loaded with small bore pipes and had an overhang. Didn’t do his radiator much good !!
Good old days now long gone and so will Bill be.
R.I.P. Billy and thanks for all the memories, pranks and stories that you left for us to pass on to those who were not there to enjoy them.
From (then a very young driver) Nobby.

Hi T.I.R Original thats sad to hear i knew old Bill when i was on Meachers, and still know his son Mick but havant seen him for a long time, he was a laugh, used to see him a lot around Nursling years ago, will be missed. R Jimski

Photos courtesy of Alan White:

Brian White

Brian White

It is thought the trucks were Summefield Transport vehicles but signwritten I.S.R. (International Synthetic Rubber Co.)

A nice pic of Danny Doveys ERF from Marc (Bubblemans) Scrapbook thread.

Hello All
I havan’t posted for a while been busy.
Quiz for today Grandad loaded a speed boat along with another out of Hamble to go to one of the lochs in Scotland where he and the other driver had to wait for the speed boats to be filmed for one of the JAMES BOND films then return them to Hamble can anyone name the film■■?

Regards Jacko

R-JACKO:
Hello All
I havan’t posted for a while been busy.
Todays quiz.Grandad loaded a speed boat along with another out of Hamble to go to one of the lochs in Scotland where he and the other driver had to wait for the speed boats to be filmed for one of the JAMES BOND films then return them to Hamble can anyone name the film■■?

Regards Jacko[/quote

Some great pic’s there Jacko

Hi R Jacko was it 1963 from Russia with love ■■? R Jimski

Hi R Jacko,

If he’d have been in a Leyland 8 wheeler could it have been “■■■■■■■■■” :unamused: :blush: :unamused:

Regards
Richard
ps. Great Pics !

MaggieD:
Hi R Jacko,

If he’d have been in a Leyland 8 wheeler could it have been “■■■■■■■■■” :unamused: :blush: :unamused:

Regards
Richard
ps. Great Pics !

Very good Richard but how about if he was an American Trucker?

Diamond 'T’s Are Forever

MaggieD:

kj1963:
thanks richard, that clears that up.i never put you as a former employer of big bro as i thought you would rather forget…ha ha . hows things with you and the wife, good i hope. kind regards kev.

Hi Kev,
Whilst I was in Hospital, your brother, who scrubs up well ! called round on the chance I’d passed away and I think from the way he’s dressed proposed to Angela and even had the cheek to use one of our old motors to take her to the church ! The bit that upset me was he didn’t use Jimski with his Mercedes,I don’t want him thinking Stuart cut the rate !! :blush:
Regards Richard

nice to be reminded from time to time what big brother looks like under all the ■■■■,last time i saw him like that was at my wedding. 19 years ago…how time drags when you have a rope round your kneck,nice to hear your on the mend,all the best kev.