Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Hi folks, rumours of my demise have been greatly exagerated. I have been romping around Spain and France for a few weeks with the caravan but now I’m back and what a treat to see my old motor, that sure was some beast.

I’m available to make the pilgrimage to Alton anytime now before the old codgers pop off.

Regards

GAZ

Gary,
Nice to hear you are ok,hope you had a good trip, Charlie has been collecting for a wreath, we were sure you passed away ! :unamused: :unamused:

Charlie,
Please can you let me have the 10p back I sent towards the wreath. :blush: :blush:
Looks like we will be coming to see you soon, I know Gerbil & Jimski wish to come if anyone else is up for a night our let us know. I can always get a coach !!

Regards
Richard

GAZ IOW:
Hi folks, rumours of my demise have been greatly exagerated. I have been romping around Spain and France for a few weeks with the caravan but now I’m back and what a treat to see my old motor, that sure was some beast.

I’m available to make the pilgrimage to Alton anytime now before the old codgers pop off.

Regards

GAZ

Well I,ll go to foot of our stairs.What a surprise.I,ve been sending you emails for the past three months.That Turbo Star.Was that the one I had from you when you got your new one? Will you be able to find your way up here? Foreign parts.Speak soon. Richard.Sorry I,ve spent it.Any time you like for a night out.I can give you a good discount on parking.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Rich

Trip went well, I’ve kept all the receipts and I’ll send them over, cheers mate!!! :smiley:

Charlie

Try and last out till we get there mate :smiley: That Turbostar was mine till I left

Regards

GAZ

Hello all
On behave of Dashman does anyone recognise this Soton registered Volvo F88 at the time it was owned by Howard Trucking from Waddesdon, Bucks.

En route to Iran.circa 1974

Hi Jacko.Don,t know if that F88 was owned by anyone local but I had an F88 ETR 370L when I was on Rawlings.No help there. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
Hi Jacko.Don,t know if that F88 was owned by anyone local but I had an F88 ETR 370L when I was on Rawlings.No help there. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for that Charlie thats a start.

Cast your minds back to the mid 1970s ( younger members ask your parents or grand parents). Anyone recall the following two firms who worked out of Southampton Docks?

Arthur Kneller Transportation. Yellow and blue rigid flatbeds (general haulage tramping in a Leyland Terrier or Ford D series four-pot day cab anyone?)

BFC. Had a yard at Eastleigh and the Cunard container contract, although also did general. May have owned AKT (see above). Known without much affection as ‘Barney’s Flying Circus.’

Any recollections, observations and especially pictures welcome. I worked briefly for AKT, (who’s transport manger was an ex-Middle East hand,) and where I learned to rope and sheet.

Hi All Hi Gaz I.O.W good trip ■■? Hope your ok.Hows Steveie ■■ will Steve be coming to Alton??

Hi Pat we were queing at your gate but the tea hut didnt open :frowning: were bring our own tea bags mate. Nice fella called Mick Hennessey
turned up we had a good old chat , Pat Scorey was also in the que we all talked about ya then went home :laughing: :laughing: so next week we want cakes :laughing: :laughing:
Hi Richard give me notice about trip to Alton Im polishing the motor now !!or will we need a bus :unamused:
Hey Shady the old Triumph great mate i reckon you should demo one your love it !! keep looking out for that Harley of yours :laughing:

Regards Jimski

Hey does any one remember a driver called Dave Chivers used to have a scania on for Eurohaul ■■?R Jimski.

s

son of a truck driver:

mappo:
Went to spain in this non sleeper ERF ( must have been bonkers )
Pic taken at La Junquera. White transcon was Rodney Redgraves
Also in pic is a Wisharts volvo
The driver of the wisharts volvo could have been my dad his name is wullie nisbet he drove an F88 for wisharts and his one didn,t have anything on the grill and i,m pretty certain the other F88 wisharts had all had things like the scrolls and badges across them.from son of a truck driver

Hi " son of a truck driver ", welcome to the madhouse.
I took that photo in 1976/77 and the Wishart driver was i reckon in his 60,s then. nice bloke i seem to remember.

Richard and Charlie…thank for the reminder about the horse and carts.aye tell young people about that today ( in northern accent ) and they wont believe ya. :laughing: :laughing:

Re Graham Richardson i remember his smart Iveco,was it a Calefornian ? I ran with him a few times doing fridge work in the early Solstor days. good old boy.
As for Graham Wainright i,m still in touch and speak to him most weeks, in fact i,ve got a few photos of Grahams overturned Volvo when he was pulling for Eurohaul.
I,ll put them on here when i get round to getting a new scanner.

Hi to Dave, Gaz IOW (good to have you back mate )and everyone else.

Jimski…good to see you today mate, sorry if i was,nt my usual self, i was a bit knackered.

Gazza… did you get my PM last week ?

Hi Mappo i read in the news of the world that your getting over wooooooorked !! :smiley: was good to see ya bud !! R Jimski

Hi Jako
I dont know about the F88 you ask about but the back one looks very much like a Borden Chemical one.
Regards Rich.

Hi guys, some more early continental Hattons photos. Looks like Italy to me. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile:

Hi, Hattons yard at Eastliegh. Hello TIR Original, do you know the driver by the ERF. :question: :question: :question:

Does anybody know who this driver is. :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

One of Bob Alford’s Artane trucks. :smiley:

swayze1

Much like ainacs and jacko great pictures, got any more?

when did hattons dissapear, or were they bought out by someone? I don’t recall them?

Hi Mikey1964, no good with the years, but it was around about T Reg trucks came out. Hattons became part of the Renwicks group. I suppose they were asset stripped. Their yard was opposite where Lamberts are now. :smiley: :smiley:

Regards, Alan

Here one of Maury Mackness in a popular watering hole.

swayze1:
Here one of Maury Mackness in a popular watering hole.

Great photos swayze1 keep um coming