Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Another pic from the old days this time Pitter Bros (I presume) the oldest haulage company in Southampton

Regards Pat

Fergie47:
Altitude

Another couple with simular set up, popular in Italy in the late '60’s, '70’s, Some axles on the truck and trailer steered. They were mostly RHD trucks as well.

That’s even stranger Fergie the RHD :confused: what sort of weight did they carry mate, do you know?

The lorry and drag’s ran at 40 tons, not sure about the artics, possibly 38 or 40, I don’t remember seeing many 6X4 tractors, but do remember a lot of 3 axle trailers, and this was in the late '60’s, early '70’s, What year was it that the the UK got 40 GVW ?
They were mostly RHD because of the mountain roads and passes, easier to see the kerb ( and the drop !! :laughing: )

I can remember going up to 40 ton but sorry can’t remember the year mate. See what your saying about the RHD, not sure I would want to see the drop!!! :open_mouth: maybe better not to see it. :laughing: :laughing:

Hi I think that the 8 wheelers with 8 wheel trailers that used to run between Turin and somewhere near Milan used to run at 70 tons at a steady speed of 65/70kph. Even worse when you came up behind one in thick fog doing about 30/40 k’s you didn’t know whether to stay behind him and get rammed by an Italian with ‘radar’ :imp: or pass and risk running into something yourself.
For those that don’t know Italy- the Ities work on the principle that if you can’t see it- its not there :open_mouth: Therefore the thicker the fog the faster you can drive :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I think that principle has now been adopted on the A1 - A1M in the UK
Gavin

That’s scarey Gavin glad I never had to be there.

Yet another of Bubblemans gems from his “Scrapbook” thread this time Eurohaul Ltd, Mr Robin Calenso’s company in Southampton for quite a few years

Regards Pat

Yet another one from Bubbleman’s “Scrapbook” thread with a Southampton link this time Kingswood Transport

Regards Pat

Found this one of a Meachers six wheeler loaded with a MacPac box??

Regards Pat

Nice pics Pat…do you or any of the lads remember this one…Intercontinental Trucking Services Southampton. :laughing:

Apologies for the pic being cropped but its not one of my photos.

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

Sorry Mark cant recall that company

Regards Pat

bubbleman:
Nice pics Pat…do you or any of the lads remember this one…Intercontinental Trucking Services Southampton. :laughing:

Thanks for the reminder Mark. Yes I remember this outfit but only with your help. The Krupp cabbed Atki photo was taken in the old lorry park behind the swimming baths,opposite Meachers,Southampton. If I remember correctly they only had 2 trucks of which the other was a long nosed Mercedes. These were owned by an Ian McLean whom I believe moved down from London. Although I have met him I couldn’t really tell you anything about him. Perhaps now that I have given you this much some other old timer will have more information. I do know some who would but am no longer in touch with them.

Hi found another Meachers pic this time a Scamell with a Dart box

Regards Pat

bubbleman:

Nice one Marc!

I’ve not seen that particular Atki before - judging by the reg., it must be one of the ones sold off by Comberhill Commercials in Wakefield. Somewhere, in an old Comical Motor that I have, there is a Comberhill advert in the classified section, offering a choice of these motors (10 available, I think), for sale contract hire… anything to get them off the forecourt! That would be around 1970, I think, although this one has a later plate.

I remeber that Krupp cabbed Atkinson, It was parked up outside the Queens one night, just before I took the the ferry crossing to Le Harve, Think I laught, as it was so ugly, and then cried ,because I was driving a F86 at the time, and it at least had a decent sized sleeper on it. Don’t remember the driver though.
Wonder if any are on the classic scene.

Fergie47:
I remeber that Krupp cabbed Atkinson, It was parked up outside the Queens one night, just before I took the the ferry crossing to Le Harve, Think I laught, as it was so ugly, and then cried ,because I was driving a F86 at the time, and it at least had a decent sized sleeper on it. Don’t remember the driver though.

As far as I know, there are no survivors, but very, very few were ever built. Strangely, there was a Krupp-cabbed 6w rigid in Jamaica, which at least shouldn’t have rusted away! I’ve actually got the original factory build cards for most of the tractors.

Fergie47:

That would be right Fergie,parked outside the “Queens” in Albert Rd. As I said earlier,that motor belonged to Ian MacLean. I can’t be dogmatic but I believe at the time it may have been driven by ‘big’ Jim Cokely before he went on to work for Jameson Europa.That certainly would explain the fact that it could regularly been seen outside that particular watering hole. Also on reflection, the long nosed Mercedes that I mentioned I think was driven at one time by a Pete Hamilton. They were both painted in that pale metalic blue and looked quite impressive.
I must disagree with your comment that it looked ugly though,especially with its nice metalic paint job (which was quite unusual back then). I remember thinking how similar the cab looked to a Scania LB 76 except for the big old Atki grille stuck on the front. In fact if you think about it,at that time it was far superior to what most of us were tackling the job with. AEC,Seddon,Foden,Ford D 800 or 1000,ERF,Scammel and Guy Big “J” etc. The French and Italians must have thought us bl**dy hero’s back in those days (I know I did)!

I was going over in a “Atki Viewline” and would have loved a Krupp cab at that time as it did have a bed and we stopped in hotels or guest house’s then also it would have been a bit warmer in the winter than the viewline.

sammyopisite:
I was going over in a “Atki Viewline” and would have loved a Krupp cab at that time as it did have a bed and we stopped in hotels or guest house’s then also it would have been a bit warmer in the winter than the viewline.

And cooler in summer!! :sunglasses:

Phil Waters (Water Bros)very kindly took my Scania 143 to the Haydock Truckfest this weekend

Regards Pat