Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Hi all, just had some bad new’s from Alan Swarzy ( not correct spelling i know) that his dad known to most people on here as polie Joe has sadly passed away. Another well known legend gone. RIP Joe.

Hi Kev
Thanks for the info do you know how old he was must have been a great age.
Our sympathy with his family & friends.

Cheers

Rich

AFS Haulage is no more as Meachers have brought them
t.co/r3FASUMJNb?amp=1

Congratulations on reaching 500…the thread was started in December 2003, so just over 7 years ago, I couldn’t help thinking of all the good old lads that have passed on since the thread started, perhaps this 500 page landmark could be dedicated to all those that have left us, but we’ve not forgotten.?..

Fergie47:
Congratulations on reaching 500…the thread was started in December 2003, so just over 7 years ago, I couldn’t help thinking of all the good old lads that have passed on since the thread started, perhaps this 500 page landmark could be dedicated to all those that have left us, but we’ve not forgotten.?..

Dave trust you & yours are keeping well but I note this thread was started just over 17 years ago not 7 (typo error I suspect) wonder where TKdave is still around does any one know. As you say lots of GOB’s have passed in that time several who have worked for DIT to boot and the truth is the job is not what it was back in the day but that’s life I suppose, you stay safe mate chairs Buzzer.

Buzzer:

Fergie47:

Dave trust you & yours are keeping well but I note this thread was started just over 17 years ago not 7 (typo error I suspect) wonder where TKdave is still around does any one know. As you say lots of GOB’s have passed in that time several who have worked for DIT to boot and the truth is the job is not what it was back in the day but that’s life I suppose, you stay safe mate chairs Buzzer.

Hi John, we’re both well thank you, and you and all the family also I hope…

Yes typo error mate, need to get that other cataract done so I can see the screen properly. :unamused:

You’re right John, we’ve lost a few eh…last night I watch the series about Shap on utube, that brought back a few memories, Southampton to Scotland with a Guy Invincible 4 day trip if it all went well, i guess your lads can now do Glasgow in a day, how times have changed, and the motors… …still think we had the best days though…take care, keep safe…

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, yes I believe RK Crisp was something to do with a crane company from au the midlands there was a guy from Wickham can only remember his name was Ray drove for them. :sunglasses:

Hi Kev Dickie Hamilton from Southampton drove for them, known to some as ‘tricky Dickie’ and others
as ‘Juanita’ due to his unfortunate dental condition. As far as I know he ended his working days stacking
containers at Pentalvers down the docks

Regards Gaz

Gaz: Couldn’t have been a bad job stacking those containers…someone else we know drove a Fantuzzi down there!

Hi all, Gazzer i think there was a few in the dock’s we all new Danny Moss, Wee Jock, Big Scotty who i think is still in there and i do believe Mr Eddie Huntly i got in trouble one day heard him speaking on a dock two way radio and borrowed the man’s radio to give him a lot of abuse when the man said do you realise the whole dock has just herd what you called him. Happy day’s. :sunglasses:

gazzer:
Gaz: Couldn’t have been a bad job stacking those containers…someone else we know drove a Fantuzzi down there!

Well it wasn’t cluey he couldn’t reach the pedals

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, yes I believe RK Crisp was something to do with a crane company from au the midlands there was a guy from Wickham can only remember his name was Ray drove for them. :sunglasses:

Hi Gerbil and yes you are quite correct that R.K. Crisp were from the midlands. Back in the early days nearly all the work they did was for British Crane Hire and when then they started to export it was via Normandy Ferries out of Southampton. Their yard was at Birmingham and then because of the rise in business opened a depot in Southampton.
One thing I always remember being told by several of the ‘Brummy’ drivers is that the boss in Birmingham would not let any of the drivers or any visitors enter the yard in a Japanese car. Anyone who did would be told in no uncertain terms to remove it immediately. Think it was something to do with the war and prisoners I believe. Regards, Nobby.

TIR Original:
One thing I always remember being told by several of the ‘Brummy’ drivers is that the boss in Birmingham would not let any of the drivers or any visitors enter the yard in a Japanese car. Anyone who did would be told in no uncertain terms to remove it immediately. Think it was something to do with the war and prisoners I believe. Regards, Nobby.

My late Mum hated the Japanese for precisely that reason, she would allow nothing Japanese into the house, not even a tin of mandarin oranges!

But she softened over the years and then when my Dad was transferred to Japan for a couple of years, she went with him.

When she came back she was insufferable, how wonderful and polite everyone was, how clean the streets were, how wonderful the police were, how there was absolutely no crime. :unamused: Unfortunately this coincided with the downturn in relations with my new masters at Toray and I wasn’t going to have any of this crap. For a time the situation was very strained between us and, with the help of my Southampton born Dad and Brother, a truce was arranged. She wouldn’t bang on about Japan and I wouldn’t moan about work. :laughing: :laughing:

Close to Southampton

Just to move back up the page, So’ton Docks late 50’s or early 60’s not sure

DISPATCHER:
Just to move back up the page, So’ton Docks late 50’s or early 60’s not sure

Hello Chris, hope you’re well…

Are those the Euclids from the States ? I do remember them parked in the yard in the early '60’s at one point…

Hello Dave ,Fine thanks hope alls well your side
Probably im not sure where they came when we unloaded a whole ship full of Euclids and Cats also loads of car press equipment cant remember who for.
I think the Car press equpiment went down to the west country somewhere

CFAT

robthedog:
CFAT

National petrol station in background. I’d almost forgotten them. Ended in early 90’s.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Edit…
35 pence litre for 4* !

gerbil sb152:

Moving plant to France & Italy was regular traffic for R.K.Crisp

Crisp ERF.PNG
Parked at The Bakehouse en route to Italy is a Crisp ERF 6x4 loaded with a D8.
Centrale Routiere’s Saviem van is on Convoi Exceptionnel duty.
Pages 473/474 have more concerning R.K.Crisp/Richards & Wallington/BCHC/Centrale Routiere

Bordens had a works at North Baddesley, near Romsey IIRC, Buzzer