Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

gerbil sb152:
Yes Buzzer, off the boat Monday morning down through France stop before the Swiss border then go through a small border at Vallorbe cross Swiss that day out through the Simplon pass into Italy parkup in Domodossola then tip next morning. If i remember correctly the Simplon pass was kept open all year as it was one of the few routes fuel tanker’s and such like could use in and out of Italy. Happy Day’s. :sunglasses:

Hey Kev and what a lovely picturesqew route that was over the Simplon, remember Marc Delaganna hit a snow bridge and did damage and got caught and fined, Buzzer

Yes my very first trip over the water was to Cherbourg with 3 others we all tipped just outside Cherbourg i went back to the port and shipped home the other’s went off somewhere to load. My next trip was a full load of paint to Marseille for International Paint which was a regular job. Mr & Mrs Evans took me around Paris put me on the A6 and said just keep going you will eventually get to Marseille and they went off in another direction i am pretty sure the were going to Domodossola with the telly’s. Really funny i did 2 or 3 collection’s of wine When i did the last collection i was told by Mr Griffith’s to go to Beaune to get T form’s when i get to the exit Peage phone this number she would come out to meet me with paperwork, so i did, she was not impressed with a stupid English man phoning at midnight but to be fair to her she came out with said paperwork in her dressing gown. Surprising what odd thing’s you remember. :sunglasses:

Hi Kev, hope you are well! Beaune was a great place to clear especially on a Friday afternoon, cleared there many times for both Ron and FTL after the wine groupage! then up for Saturday mornings boat out of Le Havre. Memories!!

Pete

Hi pete yes Beaune or Macon was always good to clear or if we were pushed for time late friday afternoon we would just go up to Le Havre with STS drop trailer and ship in under an unaccompanied then they would do T form and ship it on Monday. :sunglasses:

Buzzer:
Dean when I was at school in Bartley near Cadnam which was hated by me I must say, he ran about five or six he operated out of a old woodyard and parked trailers in that long layby you mentioned near the cafe where they straightened the road out by the old radio mast, he then was in Chandlers Ford and had alot more motors by then, he dabbled in a bit of ME work as well, later the company became Transport Services and was run from a double unit on the Chandlers Ford Ind estate with a mix of motors about 25 at a guess but could be wrong, someone on here will know better. Jim was an accomplished speedway rider and later went into auto cross also his son Barry who was very good at it, cheers Buzzer.

Thanks for the info Buzzer. :wink:

Dean that defo Jim in the picture as he always from memory had a goaty beard and looks like Barry as well with the long hair and he was always a bit portly IIRC, Buzzer.

Hi all, and another one what was the name of the square in Milan where we used to park with the two restaurants one was as always the Dutchman’s, it was also where Italmondo warehouse was where we used to load week in week out for STS. :sunglasses:

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, and another one what was the name of the square in Milan where we used to park with the two restaurants one was as always the Dutchman’s, it was also where Italmondo warehouse was where we used to load week in week out for STS. :sunglasses:

Kev think it was called “The Piatza” , remember being there once when some Dutch drivers caught an Iti breaking into a cab and they had captured him, then they went looking for a rope which Brit drivers often carried to pull up the tilt sheets to load, they were going to take him up on a bridge tie the rope round his neck and chuck him over but the cops turned up and spoiled the fun.
Also John Shaw aka “The M4 fitter” who drove for Pat helped a bloke take out his gearbox to fit a new clutch, now that would not happen today eh, chairs Buzzer.

i John there was lot’s of mechanical and doggy stuff went on in that square.Yes John would and could fix anything on the side of the road,better if it was Scania but he would have a go at anything, he was a god send to me when i drove the 141 for Horace. :sunglasses:

David Wakefield photo
Sister to the joker this was Ian rycrofts when new

Hi all, here is a third question when did the telly’s move to being tipped in Pero , Millan instead of Domodosala. I though Maggie D and his lovely wife or Gazzer would have been all over these questions. :sunglasses:

Alright Kev, don’t get noughty!
I never did Domodossola for STS, it had just finished, so; timing, I would think it was 1983/4.

Aha mention of STS well all I know is that Griffo must have had prior knowledge of the weights going up in 1983 as we did regular loads of wine from Vicenza net weight 22ton on a tandem axle tilt IN 1982, made my F88 grunt going over Cenis thats for sure :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:, Chairs Buzzer

Hi all, Gazzer i think you are about right mate with 83/4 that’s about what i thought. What about the name of the square in Milan where the restaurant’s and Italmondo was you must remember that. I hope. :sunglasses:

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, Gazzer i think you are about right mate with 83/4 that’s about what i thought. What about the name of the square in Milan where the restaurant’s and Italmondo was you must remember that. I hope. :sunglasses:

gerbil sb152:

Hi Kev,

Hope you and Jan are keeping well ?

We only ever did one trip for STS with TV’s but Via Valtellina in Milan seems to ring a bell,I remember Steve Cherett when he worked for us parked up there with a load of copper on and they moved 2 trucks to get to his, and had the steering lock drilled out but luckily a couple of lads came out of The Dutchmans and caught them.

The trouble with Italy was once you went through the border at Aosta the customs always knew where you were going and what you had on !!

I remember one day Angie went off to load industrial fridge cabinets in Padova,and I loaded Capodimante Porcelain for Harrods in Milan,both of us in identical trucks with Kangaroo trailers on, after I had loaded it was late afternoon and the chap who did the customs paperwork at the factory looked at his watch and said “You won’t make the train at Novara tonight”. We had a some good friends at Novatrans and I got there as they were loading the train straight in and under the crane pulled the pin undid the lines and lifted straight on to the train. In the meantime I managed to get Angie on the CB and met her at the restaurant we used in the town, we came out later to find her truck and trailer gone, they thought they had the Capodimante,realised their mistake and abandoned it on the old road to Milan.Good old days !!

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:
The trouble with Italy was once you went through the border at Aosta the customs always knew where you were going and what you had on !!

Ha ha, I loaded back a few times from a large magazine/catalogue printer in Milan when on for either Cheverall’s or WhiteTrux, can’t remember. They used to let us use the showers in their sanitation block and we saw those awful ■■■■■/torture comics the Eyeties loved lying around.

When I cleared Aosta the dogana cut the seal and stole a box of the magazines before re-sealing and sending me on my way. I ■■■■■■ myself laughing all the way to the Blanc. We were carrying DIY catalogues for Wickes, not a lot of excitement in those. :laughing: :laughing:

Spardo:

MaggieD:

Ha ha, I loaded back a few times from a large magazine/catalogue printer in Milan when on for either Cheverall’s or WhiteTrux, can’t remember. They used to let us use the showers in their sanitation block and we saw those awful ■■■■■/torture comics the Eyeties loved lying around.

When I cleared Aosta the dogana cut the seal and stole a box of the magazines before re-sealing and sending me on my way. I ■■■■■■ myself laughing all the way to the Blanc. We were carrying DIY catalogues for Wickes, not a lot of excitement in those. :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Spardo,

We used to load wastepaper out of West Bromwich and tip it in Rozzano just outside Milan,their yard was always covered in old ■■■■ magazines,I remember both Jan Pawinski and Gordon Smith Mammoth drivers tipping there and trying to get a job !

The boss there loved the English wastepaper and would come out and rub it between his fingers, and sniff it.I always waited for him to say something like “Ah 1974 Radio Times” like a wine connoisseur.

Regards
Richard

Hi all, Richard thank’s for that, i can remember going down the Via Certossa just before a set of lights turn left under a metal flyover up a small road up beside the Via Certossa then turn right then end of road was the square with the restaurants and Italmondo warehouse. I strange what you remember. Yes we are fine thank’s hope you Angie and the rest of the family are staying safe and well. :sunglasses:

Nick Carter’s Carriers from Romsey

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Was that the guy by the station Jez?