Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Stroker 156 DOT:

Buzzer:
From our area although Winchester based, Buzzer

Buzzer, your pic of Conder Winchester set the mind wandering, do you remember Douglas Wren haulage from Alresford ? I am pretty sure he done quite a lot out of Winnal in the early sixties.

YES MATE DO REMEMBER THAT NAME THINK THEY DID A BIT OF TRACTION ALSO FOR jAMESONS BACK IN THE DAY. Buzzer.

Hi all yes Nigel Houghton had his yard in the middle of Corhamton village on the A32 sold it a few year’s back it’s now a housing estate. I think the 2 brothers were Barry and Robin Doney that started it but don’t quote me on it. :sunglasses:

Spot on Kev!
Two minds better than one eh…

Hi All

I think it was Brian Wren in Alresford & Doug worked for Norman Offer
but could be wrong.

Cheers

Rich

Wonder who’s this was AA reg so probably supplied by Princes, anyone

robthedog:
Wonder who’s this was AA reg so probably supplied by Princes, anyone

Think it was original Ian Rycroft truck, black with white roof. Buzzer will know.

Could have been rawling’s. :sunglasses:

gerbil sb152:

Kev I did check on the old Interweb and registration detail stated it was Orange so that threw me a tad so could have been any ones, Gazzer may know, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:

gerbil sb152:

Kev I did check on the old Interweb and registration detail stated it was Orange so that threw me a tad so could have been any ones, Gazzer may know, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer, could it have been Framtons.■■

Re: XAA290R; deffo not ECT, nor Rawlings but IF it was recorded as orange, it may have been Roy Muscato (he did have 86’s and an F10) Pint size would remember that mebbe?

Hi all, Gazzer no not Roy Mascato he only had as you said f86 & f10 plus a Leyland Marathon with the big middle east cab but no kitchen pack. Hope your staying ok are you here or there. :sunglasses:

Hi Kev, here not there…if that makes sense but I could just tell you it’s 24 deg and you would get the drift!
No general lock down yet but we are all expecting it, most people stocking up now. I’m trying to get some building materials just in case!
Orange: The only other Orange ones were Southern Van Lines (forerunner to Kingswood) but they only had F7’s and Kawasakawahwah that Robin worked for bur IIRC they were F10’s and nothing previously.
Stumped!
Stay safe out there people, it’s friday night and it’s lads night out in town, saludo!

Hi mate good to hear your ok so you could be there for a while now then. No the 88 was definitely not Kaaaawwwaaassssaaakkkiii own transport as they only came into Eastleigh around 1990 before that it was done by a private company from south London and to start with only had FL7 4 wheel flat’s it is a bit of a mistery as to who had it new. :sunglasses:

One of Richard & Angie’s with ■■■■■■ range rover, Buzzer.

Just to get back up the page

I’ll add this here then:
Ernie Bignall (Ernesto) passed away this week. I have no further details.
Ernesto, who worked for Blackmans, subcontracted to A.S.Rawlings Ltd of Medstead, mainly on “empty cow” work to Italy.
Well known in his yellow Marathon, Boris Johnson hair style and capacious aptitude for alcohol consumption with his running mate Derek Hobie.
A great character on the job.
We deliver into Fordingbridge where he lived and on an opportunist night out there, went to see him a few years back. A great evening and I went back to my truck absolutely “tipsy”. Just how Ernesto did on his days on the road.
Not many of us in Hampshire will have not encountered Ernesto somewhere on our travels. On the morning boat out of Le Havre his main aim was the restaurant for kippers on his breakfast plate.
Ernesto Biganelli, RIP ole chum!

Hi all, well what can you say another legend move’s on, a real gent always polite until he got upset which wasn’t very often RIP Earnesto.

Gazzer this truck has got a a Pompey reg plate iirc but who would have had it first before it long trip to its new home, do you recall, Buzzer.

Hi all, just remembered a quick story about Earny i pulled into a wine place in Asti one afternoon to be told too late we will load you tomorrow, Earny was was just leaving so asked him where me and wife could eat that night he said as it’s winter every where is shut, but go down here ,left ,right,round here and find a restaurant called “what ever” he said they will be closed but knock the door tell them Earnesto sent you and sure enough in we go out the back and eat with the family. With out him it would have been a long hungry night or long drive to find a restaurant. A real friend on the road.

Bakers.

Click on pages twice.