Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Winchester based 8 wheeler that someone will have info. on.
Modified with go faster wheels.

Heres the test.

Click on pages twice.

Hi Dean,

Many thanks for all your searching,I knew you would be able to come up trumps.

Regards
Richard

Buzzer:
Ironic that as we had RMU 920Y a globetrotter also, had to ring Horry to make sure of the number, but I think it was RMU 970Y but cant find a picture, cheers Buzzer.

Hi John,

Here’s a pic of RMU 970 Y did you sell it to John (Ocean Clipper) ?

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

Buzzer:
Ironic that as we had RMU 920Y a globetrotter also, had to ring Horry to make sure of the number, but I think it was RMU 970Y but cant find a picture, cheers Buzzer.

Hi John,

Here’s a pic of RMU 970 Y did you sell it to John (Ocean Clipper) ?

Regards
Richard

Spot on Richard yes I did sell it to John Heaton RIP we once heard him on the CB radio when we were at Macon and he was in Ventigmelia, well we thought he was on the CB but may have just been shouting out the window bless him, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Harvey a page or two ago you were on about Michelin men ( Barbenium ) or summit like that to give it its real name, anyways we had our own real life model Michy man one day in the form of Les Slater of LS Commercials who looked after my trucks for a good while, this was in a lighter moment don’t know if it was before the pub or after he got on top of my F89 but H&S would have a fit today, cheers Buzzer.

Great shot John. The name Les Slater rings so many bells with me.
Wont go into the location of the bulb to light him up at night. Q: did he work with Dave Coombs at one time ■■? Harvey

gazzer:
Winchester based 8 wheeler that someone will have info. on.
Modified with go faster wheels.

Morning Gary, looks in your neck of the woods with the barns and rat catcher arround, but a site vehicle is odd to say the least.
Loader looks unused as well. Like you, I also would like to know. Harvey

A bit of info on the Sudden Accident:
It was a dual purpose vehicle, as shown a bulk carrier, fold the sides down and it was able to carry pallets so I am told. One of the lads here remembers it on the road in '85.

Hi all, surprised its not been mentioned yet, but as the ’ August bash ’ at Tims place is looming, just a gentle reminder.
Hope to see you all there.

i all, Tony how are you mate, i did ask about Tim’s 6 week’s ago but did not get a lot of response spoke with jimsky on Friday he has heard from a few that are going. :sunglasses: .will pm you. gerbil :stuck_out_tongue:

Heard it was cancelled as Charlie 1 never bought any one a drink last year so every one is boycotting it this year in protest, he says it was because the DKV card he held onto that belonged to R&A was out of date or Richard put a stop on it not sure which but I could be wrong, cheers Buzzer.

roolechat:
!972 Scammell Handyman

A slightly earlier Handyman

Meschers2.jpg

Pictured inside Dock Gate 4 Eastern Docks, Le Havre (Seine - Maritime) registered Volvo F89 7891 HT 76 c/w Trlr EH 50-48

What is it with you lot? Are you that insecure that you need confirmation that the “informal” gathering at Tim’s pub will go ahead?
Those that go, go, those that don’t will just have to hear about it from others as to what a great day and opportunity was missed.
PLUS! As some of us are approaching twilight years, me for one would hate to have not gone to a bash and missed my last opportunity to have a laugh with an old friend who sadly passed away subsequently before the next bash.

Think about it!

Which brings to mind John Compton…I hope he is well enough to attend. See what I mean all you ditherers? There is not always next year, for them…OR YOU!

Anyone remember Lorraines Lorry Park? Great times calling in each week and having a meal before heading up to Kidderminster. Sadly we lost 3 great guys who we met up with at the park. :frowning:

gazzer:
What is it with you lot? Are you that insecure that you need confirmation that the “informal” gathering at Tim’s pub will go ahead?
Those that go, go, those that don’t will just have to hear about it from others as to what a great day and opportunity was missed.
PLUS! As some of us are approaching twilight years, me for one would hate to have not gone to a bash and missed my last opportunity to have a laugh with an old friend who sadly passed away subsequently before the next bash.

Think about it!

Which brings to mind John Compton…I hope he is well enough to attend. See what I mean all you ditherers? There is not always next year, for them…OR YOU!

Gary, these are your friends, you dont need to be shy, or reserved, just tell um like it is, they will understand, all this ■■■■■ footing about trying not to upset people, go for it mate… Harvey

Heard that Harris Transport went into administration on Friday any one got the lowdown on this, Buzzer

charlie one:
Bulldog eh. Johnny Ward. Last I heard was running tippers. If I am wrong please correct me.What about A S Rawlings.I did a few days and nights for him. Lovely man. Lousy payer. I remember I had had an accident in Pisa.The car driver topped himself under the trailer.The local police banged me up for the night.I managed to phone Jim in the morning.I told him of the prob.He said “Will you get loaded today/” When I told him no he threw a wobbley. All heart that man!

we (where i used to work) subbed out work to a s rawling, from what i remember it was cowhides (i think) from barnstaple to osterwijk, i think they used a s lister from dover to do the jobs as they had flats so it would not make a tilt trailer stink to high heaven

last time i was that way lorraines is now a car park for some flats,and the pub on the corner is no longer ,the matt le tissier inn.

any one remember roy and dale gray,went on to form graylink,doing boxes out of soton,and felix.

great to work for, all be it away all week.

Southampton Road Transport Ltd was set up in 1960 by 4 Southampton hauliers
H Cornick & Sons (est 1925) Habin Haulage (est 1955) Meachers Transport(est 1932) & Pitter Bros.
Habin’s interests were acquired in 1963,Cornick’s in 1966 . Meacher/Pitter shared 50/50 untill 1980 when Pitter acquired the Meacher interests.

This 1970 Seddon 32-Four is pictured in SRT’s Anderson Road depot,with Pitter’s depot in the background