Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

DEANB:
Heres another oldie,from 1961.

Click on page once to view.

Is it an optical illusion, or does that Marshall have a ‘pouty’ mouth for some reason? :confused:

Spardo:

DEANB:

Is it an optical illusion, or does that Marshall have a ‘pouty’ mouth for some reason? :confused:

Spardo IIRC back then the drive for the mixer drum or water was driven of the front end of the motor hence the nose, i may be wrong but some one will confirm for sure Buzzer.

Buzzer:

Spardo:

DEANB:

Spardo IIRC back then the drive for the mixer drum or water was driven of the front end of the motor hence the nose, i may be wrong but some one will confirm for sure Buzzer.

Thanks Buzzer, now you mention it I do have a vague memory of a protruberance down there ( :blush: ) but don’t remember it looking like that, extending across the full width of the cab.

Buzzer:
Just done a little research into the Winchester bypass which was opened on the 1st of February 1940 and it was one of the first duel carriageway bypasses in the country, also do you remember the Spitfire bridge so called as it was said some fine chap flew under it in a spitfire but not sure if that is true, Buzzer.

Morning Buzzer,
A pic of the Spitfire bridge and those Hockley lights in 1976,

Hockley_Lights_1976.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Morning Spardo,
AEC & later Leyland liked the front end crankshaft mounted PTO to drive the drum ( had to be turning all the time)
later they settled for just the big bump not the whole bumper job as in the picture.
Foreigners liked the gearbox driven PTO’s quicker, cheaper and no need to have a radiator with a hole in it etc.
Bet you wished you never asked :open_mouth: Harvey

HRS:
Morning Spardo,
AEC & later Leyland liked the front end crankshaft mounted PTO to drive the drum ( had to be turning all the time)
later they settled for just the big bump not the whole bumper job as in the picture.
Foreigners liked the gearbox driven PTO’s quicker, cheaper and no need to have a radiator with a hole in it etc.
Bet you wished you never asked :open_mouth: Harvey

Not at all mate, very interesting, I had never seen that version and at first thought it was a distortion or optical illusion in the picture. One of the few things I have not driven (others are car transport and liquid tankers), mixers, too much paddling in and out of the cab in muddy boots for my liking. :laughing:

Just had another look, were those vents on the top of it or something to take weight, such as a driver cleaning the top of the screen for instance?

Not at all mate, very interesting, I had never seen that version and at first thought it was a distortion or optical illusion in the picture. One of the few things I have not driven (others are car transport and liquid tankers), mixers, too much paddling in and out of the cab in muddy boots for my liking. :laughing:

Just had another look, were those vents on the top of it or something to take weight, such as a driver cleaning the top of the screen for instance?
[/quote]
Good morning mate,
I would guess as the radiator has been somewhat covered up it would be to get a little air back into the fan, but as i said, only guessing.
The pump and pipes took up about 2 feet so the full width posh bumper soon disappeared which left a big box type of arrangement.
It must have been strong enough to take a few size 10’s, cant imagin a mixer driver going for a step ladder, eh !!! :laughing:
I like your import mate, Harvey

Limmer Lake Mercury.jpg

roolechat:

It’s likely that Lake Trinidad’s local supply of ashphalt blocks came from Esso Fawley’s Bituman plant which produced large quantities both in liquid (rail transport) & solid bituman blocks. Both Lambert’s & Baker’s 4 wheeelers were often to be seen carrying unsheeted loads of these blocks .Fawley’s Bituman plant shut down about 10 years ago

IMG_0096.JPG

roolechat:

roolechat:

It’s likely that Lake Trinidad’s local supply of ashphalt blocks came from Esso Fawley’s Bituman plant which produced large quantities both in liquid (rail transport) & solid bituman blocks. Both Lambert’s & Baker’s 4 wheeelers were often to be seen carrying unsheeted loads of these blocks .Fawley’s Bituman plant shut down about 10 years ago

During the late 1950’s I remember loading bitumen blocks from Esso Fawley to Permalite, Old Ford Road, Bow.(correct me if wrong). And also to Glasgow.

A couple of local ERF’s off FB, Buzzer.

roolechat:

roolechat:

The Lamberts tippers on for Limmers had the “L.B.” in a twin shield design on the doors if I remember?
Lamberts did blocks of bitumen from Fawley in the 70s and 80s. They used a set of old sheets on them. At some point, mid 1980s the bitumen was poured into cardboard tubes with a metal bottom. Much cleaner to handle.
The blocks would flow in the summer heat, and if loaded on a Friday would have settled considerably by Mon morning. There was also a greasy release agent used to enable the blocks to separate from the “moulds”. The bitumen in blocks or tubes was used mostly for flat roofers. Lots of site tips so lots of handball and mud. The pallets had a solid deck and were good quality made of oak. kin heavy getting them stacked on the head board. At some point, 1980s again I think, a lot of bitumen was taken from the the Isle of Grain. Proper week`s work: tip London-ish, reload bitumen in Grain, tip Blantyre, reload crazy paving near Rochdale for the south coast.

Franglais:

roolechat:

roolechat:

The Lamberts tippers on for Limmers had the “L.B.” in a twin shield design on the doors if I remember?
Lamberts did blocks of bitumen from Fawley in the 70s and 80s. They used a set of old sheets on them. At some point, mid 1980s the bitumen was poured into cardboard tubes with a metal bottom. Much cleaner to handle.
The blocks would flow in the summer heat, and if loaded on a Friday would have settled considerably by Mon morning. There was also a greasy release agent used to enable the blocks to separate from the “moulds”. The bitumen in blocks or tubes was used mostly for flat roofers. Lots of site tips so lots of handball and mud. The pallets had a solid deck and were good quality made of oak. kin heavy getting them stacked on the head board. At some point, 1980s again I think, a lot of bitumen was taken from the the Isle of Grain. Proper week`s work: tip London-ish, reload bitumen in Grain, tip Blantyre, reload crazy paving near Rochdale for the south coast.

Just an unrelated subject to the one being discussed back then Paling Stride used to paint my trucks, they were on Sundays Hill, Hedge End anyways Lamberts used to have there chassis freshened up with red paint every now and then but they were tight and only ever did the outside chassis rails and tanks basically the bits you could see, Buzzer

Buzzer:

Franglais:

roolechat:

roolechat:

Just an unrelated subject to the one being discussed back then Paling Stride used to paint my trucks, they were on Sundays Hill, Hedge End anyways Lamberts used to have there chassis freshened up with red paint every now and then but they were tight and only ever did the outside chassis rails and tanks basically the bits you could see, Buzzer

Yep, I seem to remember the name Paling Stride.
Tight? The inside of the chassis never needed painting anyway as the Atkis ERFs etc always had a layer of protective oil coating the undersides!

A good picture off FB today of the Spitfire bridge on the Winchester by pass as discussed on the page before this last week, cheers Buzzer

Hi All
Don’t forget John on Sunday
Cheers
Rich

tribsa:
Hi All
Don’t forget John on Sunday
Cheers
Rich

Good morning Richard,
For those who cant make it, How is he ■■? Harvey

NMP