Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

DEANB:

Buzzer:

DEANB:
I remember going to Botley Mills as a kid. Not sure if they are still going ■■

Dean Botley Mills are still there but nowadays only operate as a retail outlet for horsey, cattle and pet foods and products, the old mill is split up into different retail outlets, baker gunshop etc, Buzzer.

Its a shame how many of these old companies have gone.Thanks for the update Buzzer. :wink:

And Dukes Mill at Bishops Waltham…long gone…

Please, I dont want to offend anyone but who is this chap with the cigarette holder, posing and having a “huff” with the snow ball on the ground behind him. :wink: Harvey

poser.jpg

Hi all, just found out that John Compton that many / most of you will remember from the heyday of
International work, has just received some sad news.
John has an aggressive tumour on his brain and has been given only 3/6 months to live.
I,m trying to organise a get together at Johns local club, The Whitehead Centre, Wick lane, Downton. SP5 3NF.
for Sunday lunchtime on the 3rd June.
Snacks will be laid on, and a few quid behind the bar.
Please spread the word, it would mean a lot to John to see his old mates before he pops his clogs.

Any that can definitely make it, please let me know…thanks , Tony.

My old Scammell Handyman that I drove on Meachers many moons ago has been restored by someone so I thought I’d do a model of it !!

IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

image.jpeg

Jimmer another fine model but cant believe you drove summit like that but there again we all did back in the day, was it Mary Hopkin’s that give you the start, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Jimmer another fine model but cant believe you drove summit like that but there again we all did back in the day, was it Mary Hopkin’s that give you the start, Buzzer

In them days Buzzer I thought the Scammell was a better looking thing than an Atkinson as most of their fleet was Aki’s so I was proud as punch with it, nights away with me board and bit of sponge were an adventure !! Only the long termers had the sleeper ERF’s good days !!!

mappo:
Hi all, just found out that John Compton that many / most of you will remember from the heyday of
International work, has just received some sad news.
John has an aggressive tumour on his brain and has been given only 3/6 months to live.
I,m trying to organise a get together at Johns local club, The Whitehead Centre, Wick lane, Downton. SP5 3NF.
for Sunday lunchtime on the 3rd June.
Snacks will be laid on, and a few quid behind the bar.
Please spread the word, it would mean a lot to John to see his old mates before he pops his clogs.

Any that can definitely make it, please let me know…thanks , Tony.

Hi Tony, What some dreadfull news, John would only remember me by site but please pass on all my best wishes.
I lived in Downton from 1973 untill 2007, Squarey close, end of Moot lane. As an International driver he would have been very poor and unable to use the local pubs when home but I am sure that if you pop a picture of him on the site it will jog the minds of the 5 landlords who hardly ever saw him. Harvey Scorey

Hi mappo just sent you a p m . Sorry to hear the sad news about Mr Compton.

Hi Tony, What some dreadfull news, John would only remember me by site but please pass on all my best wishes.
I lived in Downton from 1973 untill 2007, Squarey close, end of Moot lane. As an International driver he would have been very poor and unable to use the local pubs when home but I am sure that if you pop a picture of him on the site it will jog the minds of the 5 landlords who hardly ever saw him. Harvey Scorey
[/quote]
Hi Harvey, i’ll certainly pass on your best wishes mate…no photo i’m afraid though.

Gerbil.

Hi Kev, have not received your PM mate.

Jimski:
My old Scammell Handyman that I drove on Meachers many moons ago has been restored by someone so I thought I’d do a model of it !!

Fantastic! :sunglasses: Robert

mappo:

Hi Harvey, i’ll certainly pass on your best wishes mate…no photo i’m afraid though.
[/quote]
Hi Harvey,

Here’s a pic of “Compo” at the August bash last year,looking through Kevin’s photo’s with Angie, and Mont.

Regards
Richard

Thanks Richard, A lot of people, like me, remember " a face " rather than the name. Trust you and yours are all well. Harvey

Bakers.

Click on page twice.

DEANB:
Bakers.

Click on page twice.

I meet Mark Kempsey at Gaydon last year when he collected the model I did for him of Bakers F89 that his uncle Phil drove .

Morning Jimski,
What a great model that is, fantastic detail.
I remember the truck well as Eric Baker remembered me from my first driving job, which unfortunatley was with him, ha !! it did not last long but dealing with him later was a pleasure.
He had a place out at woodlands, Ashurst with some ponies of course. Harvey

Jimski:

DEANB:
Bakers.

Click on page twice.

I meet Mark Kempsey at Gaydon last year when he collected the model I did for him of Bakers F89 that his uncle Phil drove .

What a fantastic model Jimski. Very impressive

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thats very nice Jimski !

Heres another Bakers one.

bakers1 sotonpsoton.jpg

Hi All
Tony We should be there.
Jim Spot on mate as always give me a ring when you have a minute.
I also have a Bakers sign written door if anyone wants it from memory it is a KV one like in the photo.

Cheers
Rich

Tribsa.
well done mate. John would appreciate seeing you, and of course anyone else that can make it… :sunglasses: