Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Ha ha no mate, i’d given them up by then… :laughing: :laughing:

gazzap:

Dr Hook:

Hi all this was a skillbeech motor can’t remember the drivers name it was about 1995/6
Regards gazzap

Yes it was, I did loads of those 20ft boxes but usually at the other end of the 271 at Redbridge, most were low-speed rollovers due to badly loaded boxes.
a couple more pics with Tenchy (Fred)

on the Daf winches

robthedog:
CFAT (Trying to keep us page1)

No flags in Mappo`s Scania windscreen, But I imagine he had shorts, black socks, and sandals on !!!

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Hi Ray, afraid you’re wrong there mate, that photo would have been taken in the UK somewhere,i only
ever wore my babe magnet attire ’ over the water '. :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

roolechat:

trunker08:
Re victory transport, I think it was black lower half,orange top half and black sign writing,
Hope I am right!!!

That’s correct, This was one of many Thames Traders operated by Victory Transport in the early 1960’s 8259 TR was a 1961 10 ton Scammell artic here seen on a South London building site delivering a load of British Gypsum plasterboard loaded from Erith

Thanks to both of you, not sure if I like it or not

Dr Hook:

gazzap:

Dr Hook:

Hi all this was a skillbeech motor can’t remember the drivers name it was about 1995/6
Regards gazzap

Yes it was, I did loads of those 20ft boxes but usually at the other end of the 271 at Redbridge, most were low-speed rollovers due to badly loaded boxes.
a couple more pics with Tenchy (Fred) on the Daf winches

Hi Dr Hook,

I think this is one of Oakmounts, I saw it in Romsey a couple of weeks ago.

Regards
Richard

Hi Richard
The Atkinson is ex McCormicks they brought it as a breakdown I don’t now who had it first as a breakdown guess it was a gritter/snowplough originally.
Cheers
Rich

Hi Richard
The Atkinson is ex McCormicks they didn’t convert it.
It arrived like that I guess it was a gritter/snowplough originally
Regards
Rich

roolechat:
Another view of the AEC,this time on the back of Trant’s Foden en route to show at Beaulieu

Arguably travelling in greater style, 1999, en route from Fawley to the BCVM at Leyland:

ABV 317M Atkinson Borderer T3446C by 240 Gardner, on Flickr

Harvey: I have it on good authority that Mr. John Cooper is very well. Monty is in weekly contact with him. Monty drove for Armstrongs.

gazzer:
Harvey: I have it on good authority that Mr. John Cooper is very well. Monty is in weekly contact with him. Monty drove for Armstrongs.

Thanks Mate, good to hear, could you pass on my regards through Monty if you get the chance.
I remember john giving me a milk bottle full of Moon-shine one Christmas, fron one of the draw bars, cant remember Boxing day, happy times eh !! cheers Harvey

Steve Matthews asks if anyone has any contact with Mick Collier or family. He’s heard he’s none to well and may be in QA Hospital Pompey.

Don’t know if any of you on here knew Dave Waters from Waters Bros the timber hauliers from Cadnam but I read in the Echo he had passed at the age of 81. Remember there first truck a GUY Warrior (feather in your cap) type motif of an Indian warrior on the front and they fitted an Atlas crane and ran many loads into R.F.Gidding’s sawmill in Bartley then went on to run a small fleet of artics, RIP and condolences to the family John Davies.

Went to the funeral today , known the family for a long time , been helping out on this old girl this week to make sure she could show her face in a fitting tribute to a great man , davids son phil drove the aec matador to the service today , condolences to viv , phil , mandy , and michael , davids twin brother and the other half of water bros , a whos who of local hauilers turned out at the service today .

For Trunker08

a bit delayed mick but eventualy found photo PXV84

Dispatcher, many thanks for PXV84!! That go’s back a few year, 1st trip to shell mex over Wandsworth bridge,load and home.
Second ,yes I have that and a few more when we did the boiler from Essex, we was waiting for ■■■■■■…I think.

MaggieD:

Dr Hook:

gazzap:

Dr Hook:

Regards gazzap

a couple more pics with Tenchy (Fred) on the Daf winches

Hi Dr Hook,

I think this is one of Oakmounts, I saw it in Romsey a couple of weeks ago.

Regards
Richard

I cant remember Mcormicks having that but could well of been.
its the same Chassis as Tom Andrews built his on ,apart from he had a concept with an underlift.

HRS:
Hi all, some years ago i called in to a company ( in the old brewery, Romsey) and bumped into a chap called John Cooper.
Who remembers him from Robert Armstrong days and is he still about ■■? Harvey

I remember John Cooper from even further back. 1962 ■■■■ Hampton. John was a fitter

and got to the dizzy heights of foreman. Not a bad lad. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: Hi Everybody.

Yes I have loads of names from the 70’s
I was in truck sales but never succeeded with Barry Jellis @ Barrys Flying Circus, because he had Volvo sickness.
I did know Arthur Kneller and went on a trip to Germany with him once.
I sold Norman Offer a truck.
Here are a few more names…
Jim & Barry Squibb, Transport Services
Ken Lane , Springroad
Ian Wilson , Fareham
Bill Haythorne , Nuttalls
Roy Nicholson, Oakley Self Drive
Tony & Les Gattrell ( lady) from Hythe.
and loads more in Hampshire and surrounding counties.
Thee was not many people in that area with trucks that I did not meet between 77-82, and I even sold some of them trucks.
Yes you probably think I am a sad old ■■■■, but these were good days.

I still have some diesel in my veins.

and another i bet most of you dont remember…a bloke called rolar bear. worked pulling brit link trailers later gbe trailers.