Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Some great photos there LR Man. Beautiful drive over

in the Summer. Brought back some good memories.

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

I’ll second that Charlie! Cracking pics.
Wonder who the mystery second driver was?

I’ve mentioned elsewhere that I found a photo of me in much younger days with a fine head of long curly locks.

What a pity there were no boy bands or X Factor back then.
I was an ex choir boy too like TIR Tone and we could have roped in Charlie 1 as well… Perhaps called ourselves Have This or Shove that.
Me on drums , Tone on vocals.

Obviously , Charlie would be on the fiddle.

I’ll now be waiting for a stiff letter from his legal man in Wellow. :unamused: :confused: :blush: :unamused:

Baldrick1953:
I’ve mentioned elsewhere that I found a photo of me in much younger days with a fine head of long curly locks.

What a pity there were no boy bands or X Factor back then.
I was an ex choir boy too like TIR Tone and we could have roped in Charlie 1 as well… Perhaps called ourselves Have This or Shove that.
Me on drums , Tone on vocals.

Obviously , Charlie would be on the fiddle.

I’ll now be waiting for a stiff letter from his legal man in Wellow. :unamused: :confused: :blush: :unamused:

Good afternoon to you Stuart.The only stiff thing about the Wellow Wizard are his letters.

I’ve been thinking about the name of the group…

The Three Stooges.

The Gay Cavaliers

The Choir Boys

Never had much to do on the fiddle. Being a good Catholic boy I never had much to do with that kind of thing!!

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Charlie you old fibber you, well known for playing a fine tune on Richard & Angie’s DKV card so I have been told, Buzzer.

It’s a little known fact that during the drivers strike in '78 and hoping to " put bread on the table " and looking for alternative employment, I had a chance meeting with a like minded soul in an " Eat as much as you can for a quid " establishment in Fareham…
In between mouthfuls of second rate sausages and fried bread , we discovered we had a mutual gift for harmony singing…

Soon after , we started out as a Duo and got engagements at many local pubs and clubs throughout Southampton and Hampshire with gigs at well known nightspots like the Juniper Berry.
We were known as " The Symbolics " .
I was Sym.

To be fair my partner was more popular than me…
It was something about his stylish apparel , sandals and socks and the just a tad too tight denim shorts.
There nothing that excites a club crowd more than a well filled trouser :open_mouth:

When the work returned I turned my back on showbiz and did agency work on the bins.

I often wondered what happened to my nameless friend unti about 3 months ago , searching for something to watch on Channel 4, and came across " Bargain Loving Brits Abroad "
Imagine my surprise… He’s followed his dream and doing a drag act in Torromelinos…
His act is billed as " SANDALS, SOCKS AND SHADES IN THE SUN " …

I just can’t remember his name■■?

Baldrick1953:
It’s a little known fact that during the drivers strike in '78 and hoping to " put bread on the table " and looking for alternative employment, I had a chance meeting with a like minded soul in an " Eat as much as you can for a quid " establishment in Fareham…
In between mouthfuls of second rate sausages and fried bread , we discovered we had a mutual gift for harmony singing…

Soon after , we started out as a Duo and got engagements at many local pubs and clubs throughout Southampton and Hampshire with gigs at well known nightspots like the Juniper Berry.
We were known as " The Symbolics " .
I was Sym.

To be fair my partner was more popular than me…
It was something about his stylish apparel , sandals and socks and the just a tad too tight denim shorts.
There nothing that excites a club crowd more than a well filled trouser :open_mouth:

When the work returned I turned my back on showbiz and did agency work on the bins.

I often wondered what happened to my nameless friend unti about 3 months ago , searching for something to watch on Channel 4, and came across " Bargain Loving Brits Abroad "
Imagine my surprise… He’s followed his dream and doing a drag act in Torromelinos…
His act is billed as " SANDALS, SOCKS AND SHADES IN THE SUN " …

I just can’t remember his name■■?

Stuart,

The gentleman you are referring to happens to be on my books, and as Mr Mapson’s agent can confirm that following his act at both the Juniper Berry and The Grapes in Southampton to a packed house,he will be starting his T.I.R. Tone European tour this month. Here are just a few dates and venues,tickets are available on line,we do NOT accept D.K.V. Or Mothercare cards (Charlieone please note !!)

10th March. Travel Lodge Four Marks
11th March. Fishermans Hut Inverness
12th.March. Back of the old station Droxford
13th March. The Torn Tilt Via Certosa Milan
14th March. The Dodgy Fruit Machine Club on the Viking Venturer Le Havre or Portsmouth (location to be advised)
15th March. The Red Stamp in Cluses.

He will then make a guest appearance at The Boss’s Kitchen Bursledon for a Full English.

If anyone would like to join his fan club,please send 10,000 lira,please make cheques out to :-
“Hunt The Sausage” and send to Valerie The Lay-By Saumur France

More dates will be released soon,including an Irish tour ! If you don’t behave Baldrick !!

Regards
Richard
Fleeceham & Scarper Theatrical Agents. Strada di Mille Culli Salerno Italy.

Buzzer, Charlie, Baldrick and MaggieD you lot chose the wrong profession all those years ago…
Dunno about me being on the stage, it should’ve been you lot…as comedians.
My sides are hurting with laughing so much… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi All,
Can anyone remember the Southampton company, Dimplex.
If so who has a picture of one of there fantastic trucks, The Scammel Scarob, with its one eye.
Not ever forgeting the auto coupling, now there was a proper truck, eh ■■? Milano twice a week no prob". Harvey

HRS:
Hi All,
If so who has a picture of one of there fantastic trucks, The Scammel Scarob, with its one eye.
Not ever forgeting the auto coupling, now there was a proper truck, eh ■■? Milano twice a week no prob". Harvey

Think a company called Reeves from down Lyndhurst way, with a Seddon had the contract, at least in the seventies till Dimplex finished…

Just returned from my Alcohol Scrutineering duties in Spain.
Not much to report,other than some goon in a bar in Turre
served to me a glass of “Heineken”,despite me asking for
“Una Cervasa Cruzcampo Grande, Por Favor”.

You can lead a horse to water, But a pencil must be lead.

Regards, Ray smyth.

Picture%20010.jpg
Picture%20011.jpg

Fergie47:

HRS:
Hi All,

Think a company called Reeves from down Lyndhurst way, with a Seddon had the contract, at least in the seventies till Dimplex finished…

Hi Fergie,
A company called Daltons used to run the Dimplex contract in the 90’s, white and red 1844 Merc’s, I was on for Exel Logistics on Unidaire (Berry Magicoal) contract and had to put up with a 1834, gutless pile of crap till a German doctored the limiter for me!

pete smith:

Fergie47:

HRS:
Hi All,

Hi Fergie,
…had to put up with a 1834, gutless pile of crap till a German doctored the limiter for me

Pete…it never ceased to amaze me how the UK haulier bought the smallest most under powered motor to just about do the job…if you had an F86 in the early seventies you had a decent wagon, until you took it to France, where they used them as milk floats or for delivering coca cola to local shops… hardly saw a 86 as an artic unit…but then the UK was always behind in anything related to transport, thanks to the UK governments legislation, the weights were always far less than our European counterparts for years, and the UK lorry technology way behind as well…getting an F89 was being on another planet, 330 hp when the norm was still 220…guess that’s why the UK no longer manufactures “trucks”…

Fergie47:

pete smith:

Fergie47:

HRS:
Hi All,

Hi Fergie,
…had to put up with a 1834, gutless pile of crap till a German doctored the limiter for me

Pete…it never ceased to amaze me how the UK haulier bought the smallest most under powered motor to just about do the job…if you had an F86 in the early seventies you had a decent wagon, until you took it to France, where they used them as milk floats or for delivering coca cola to local shops… hardly saw a 86 as an artic unit…but then the UK was always behind in anything related to transport, thanks to the UK governments legislation, the weights were always far less than our European counterparts for years, and the UK lorry technology way behind as well…getting an F89 was being on another planet, 330 hp when the norm was still 220…guess that’s why the UK no longer manufactures “trucks”…

Hi Fergie47,
Uk problem was and in many ways still is “AGE” mainly bridges, all legislation, ie; manufacturers axle design weight reduced to UK design weight is down to the old bridges , thousands of em! distance from first axle on trailer to drive axle on unit, bridges etc etc.
All Uk truck and trailer manufacturers lived with this in the uk and built acordingly. Bridge height gave the cab hight requirements etc.
The M1 started the big change with engines, The 8 LXB 240 was a good engine untill motorways killed them so the old man stuck a turbo on and the 8 LXTD killed the company, motorways and very old bridges held us back.
Volvo UK wanted an 8x4 to work at 30 ton, Volvo said why!!! you have a 6x4 that is plated for 30 ton, after explaining UK legislation, ie downrating thier axles they said we will send you long wheelbase 6x4’es you stick a drag link and axle on so “IRVINE” Scotland came about.
Sorry mus’nt rant on, maybe this will give you a little insight into why the UK was behind, I am like the bridges,OLD, cheers Harvey

Hi Fergie 47

HRS:
Hi Fergie47,
Uk problem was and in many ways still is “AGE” mainly bridges, all legislation, ie; manufacturers axle design weight reduced to UK design weight is down to the old bridges , thousands of em! distance from first axle on trailer to drive axle on unit, bridges etc etc.
All Uk truck and trailer manufacturers lived with this in the uk and built acordingly. Bridge height gave the cab hight requirements etc.
The M1 started the big change with engines, The 8 LXB 240 was a good engine untill motorways killed them so the old man stuck a turbo on and the 8 LXTD killed the company, motorways and very old bridges held us back.
Volvo UK wanted an 8x4 to work at 30 ton, Volvo said why!!! you have a 6x4 that is plated for 30 ton, after explaining UK legislation, ie downrating thier axles they said we will send you long wheelbase 6x4’es you stick a drag link and axle on so “IRVINE” Scotland came about.
Sorry mus’nt rant on, maybe this will give you a little insight into why the UK was behind, I am like the bridges,OLD, cheers Harvey

Hi Fergie 47

HRS…yes I agree to an extent, and did mention the government legislation regarding weights, but you made some valid points.

What I was really getting at was the power, always the smallest engines, maybe based on the idea that the smaller the engine, a 200 or 220 for example, the better on fuel, but that didn’t really happen as they struggled with the 32 tons, where a 290 or 330 would cruise all day at that weight, and the fuel consumption was probably getting close to the same or even better…
Today the hauler has no choice but to buy a reasonable large engine as that’s whats supplied via our foreign friends, and at 44t the UK is now competitive with Europe…I ran an F88 then an 89, there was nothing fuel wise in it…

An inretesting point you made was old bridges, hopefully they have all been beefed up over years to allow for the weight changes, as it can’t all be down to axle configuration.

It will be interesting to hear from the likes of Buzzer and MaggieD who both ran large fleets of mixed wagons and power configurations, and what effect it had on fuel economy… :wink:

Hi Dave

never had to much trouble with axle weights sometimes 20+ pr axle did get a few caution, crawl speed, was one bridge
in north wales where trailer had to be winch over to reduce gross.

Fergie47:

HRS:
Hi Fergie47,

Hi Fergie 47

HRS…yes I agree to an extent, and did mention the government legislation regarding weights, but you made some valid points.

What I was really getting at was the power, always the smallest engines, maybe based on the idea that the smaller the engine, a 200 or 220 for example, the better on fuel, but that didn’t really happen as they struggled with the 32 tons, where a 290 or 330 would cruise all day at that weight, and the fuel consumption was probably getting close to the same or even better…
Today the hauler has no choice but to buy a reasonable large engine as that’s whats supplied via our foreign friends, and at 44t the UK is now competitive with Europe…I ran an F88 then an 89, there was nothing fuel wise in it…

An inretesting point you made was old bridges, hopefully they have all been beefed up over years to allow for the weight changes, as it can’t all be down to axle configuration.

It will be interesting to hear from the likes of Buzzer and MaggieD who both ran large fleets of mixed wagons and power configurations, and what effect it had on fuel economy… :wink:

Hi Mate,
Re engines, I think it is all down to the governments desire to save the world.
Eruo 1…2…3…4…5…6 etc at each stage the criteria gete tighter, KL Commercials, ERF dealer in Southampton had an old B series erf 6 wheeler as a wrecker and I have driven that pulling a 38 ton outfit with no problems at all…180 Gardener.
We then had the “no substitute for litreage” …14 litre ■■■■■■■ 290…and up, then the euro started ticking off.
We now get a quart out of a pint pot, all slowly heading to, in my humble oppinion, to non fossil fuel.
Yes you are right, we were left behind with the continent, but ,hey, they never got wood worm in there cabs, cheers, Harvey.

DISPATCHER:
Hi Dave

never had to much trouble with axle weights sometimes 20+ pr axle did get a few caution, crawl speed, was one bridge
in north wales where trailer had to be winch over to reduce gross.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: … wouldn’t get away with that today Chris… :wink:

HRS:
Hi Mate,
Re engines, I think it is all down to the governments desire to save the world.
Eruo 1…2…3…4…5…6 etc at each stage the criteria gete tighter, KL Commercials, ERF dealer in Southampton had an old B series erf 6 wheeler as a wrecker and I have driven that pulling a 38 ton outfit with no problems at all…180 Gardener.
We then had the “no substitute for litreage” …14 litre ■■■■■■■ 290…and up, then the euro started ticking off.
We now get a quart out of a pint pot, all slowly heading to, in my humble oppinion, to non fossil fuel.
Yes you are right, we were left behind with the continent, but ,hey, they never got wood worm in there cabs, cheers, Harvey.

Harvey

That’s what is so fascinating today, 44 ton, 450 - 500 hp and getting 9mpg…years back a 250 14 litre ■■■■■■■ in a transcontinental at 32 ton, even with a light foot you’d be lucky to get 6mpg, in that respect the savings today are more efficient per fuel / weight…however, that gain is at the loss of simplicity, today wagons are so complicated ( like cars) that few will ever survive in 30 or 40 years time to become classics on the show scene…and biggest disappointment is, they all look the same, de-badge them all and you couldn’t tell one from 'tother… :wink:

Hills of Botley Scammell S24 at Southampton docks.