Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

United Molasses tankers were a regular sight in Liverpool. NMP Ray Smyth.

United Molasses.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pic Ray but it was very small so had to try and blow it up a bit. :wink:

liverpool 77.PNG

Hi Dean, I remember James Foley & Co., I think their lorries were painted yellow.
I don’t know if they were a haulage contractor, or a company that were a Fruit
& Vegetable Wholesaler, I saw them many times in the Fruit Market at Edge Lane.
Thank you for the picture. Kind Regards, Ray. :slight_smile:

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dean, I remember James Foley & Co., I think their lorries were painted yellow.

If Buzzer looks on here he will probably know them Ray if they were fruit importers. :wink:

A.Clegg & Son ERF. Click on page twice to view.

Hi Dean, Thank you for the A.Clegg & Son ERF picture. Until I was 22 years old, I lived about 500 yards
from Cleggs factory which was in Gateacre Village, on the south side of Liverpool. The locals pronounce
Gateacre as “Gatticker”. Their factory was originally Walkers Brewery, and I believe Cleggs occupied
the building from the 1930s to produce felt and flock for the furniture and mattress industry.
More recently, the building has been converted into apartments, called “Brewery Gardens”.

Ray Smyth.

Heres one for you Ray. :wink: Sounds like that Clegg one brought some memories back.

liverpool may.PNG

DEANB:
Heres one for you Ray. :wink: Sounds like that Clegg one brought some memories back.

Hi Dean, Thank you for the picture, My brother still lives in the same location. Regards, Ray.

The “Mersey Group” of North Western Gas Board had many Morris “J” vans in the 1950s and 1960s.
The trailer coupled to the van was for carrying spares and equipment for the maintenance and
repair to gas mains. One of the trailer lids, when opened, formed a level work bench. Ray Smyth.

nwgb.png

J & H Transport Services Peckham.Looking at the side of the truck it would appear they had a depot in
Liverpool. From a 1957 magazine.

1957 liverpool J & H Transport services peckham.PNG

DEANB:
J & H Transport Services Peckham.Looking at the side of the truck it would appear they had a depot in
Liverpool. From a 1957 magazine.

Hi Dean, J & H had a depot in Liverpool from about 1952. The first Scania-Vabis artic unit that
I ever saw was in the late 1960s, It belonged to J & H, and was seen quite often in the H.J.Heinz
factory at Kitt Green, Wigan, probably loading for London. Thank you for the picture. Regards, Ray.

Garston Bottle Co Leyland Octopus and drawbar trailer. Flatbed lorries with drawbar trailers
were a regular sight in Liverpool in the 1960s and 1970s. Ray Smyth.

Those pictures made me think. The cab design was better looking than the ‘LAD’ cab that followed. They should just have improved on that design! I travelled many miles in a Leyland Beaver, usually on the engine cover. Older brother Andy, as senior, got the passenger seat, with my Uncle Jack. It was a 1956, registration BJM *** belonging to George C Croasdale, timber merchants, Haverthwaite. They had two. The other was driven by Dennis Lancaster, who later drove for Bowater Scott at Barrow. Uncle Jack’s was just a mile or two faster than Dennis’s.

I remember that you could see through to the road around the foot pedals, which frightened me a bit, but I guess I would have been about 10. Why I thought I could fall through I don’t know, but it makes you think about how warm it would be with a hole in the floor, inches from your feet!

This should probably go on the Guy site, but although I loved the ‘Big J’ in 1969 at the start of my career, the earlier ‘Warrior’ and ‘Invincible’ designs were much prettier and offered more cab space - again, perhaps better to have improved rather than gone for a complete change?

John

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:

If Buzzer looks on here he will probably know them Ray if they were fruit importers. :wink:

A.Clegg & Son ERF. Click on page twice to view.

Leyland artic of H.King & Co., Blackburne Street, Garston, Liverpool.
From memory, I think they were a company that did beer bottling.
Talking of bottles, Garston Bottle Co were close by in Garston. Ray Smyth.

W.M.Rainford Crusader.

A04655p.JPG

DEANB:
W.M.Rainford Crusader.

Thank you to Dean for the Wm. Rainford picture, Regards, Ray.

This Ford Thames Trader was one of many with Liverpool Corporation Cleansing Department.
The signs on the drivers door are, at the top, the coat of arms of The City Of Liverpool,
next is the fleet number, and the 5T indicates its maximum load capacity.
I am grateful to moomooland for the picture, Regards, Ray Smyth.

Thames Trader LCCD.jpg

This Albion of Higsons Brewery dates from about 1956. A pint of Higsons bitter was a favourite of mine
as a young lad, growing up in Liverpool. One of Higsons bottled beers was a pale ale called “Double Top”.
For many years, Higsons ran an advert on roadside hoardings, and on the side of Corporation buses which read,
“When you think its time to stop…Dart in for a Double Top”. Jim Bowen (RIP) of Bullseye would have liked it.

Ray Smyth.

Heres one for you Ray. :wink:

Saddlers of Edinburgh
Had depots in Glasgow Liverpool & Manchester
Ran Night Trunks between Edinburgh to Liverpool and Manchester
and Glasgow to Liverpool and Manchester
Saddlers, Swans & Forth Haulage were taken over and operated under the Morrisons Group