Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

Ray Smyth:
I think that I may have posted these pictures of Atlas Express lorries on Trucknet pages before,
but I cant recall which thread I may have put them on. The Liverpool depot of Atlas Express
was on the site of J.B.Caulfield, a large parcel carrier at Window Lane, Garston, not far from
Liverpool Airport. I would like to find some pictures of J.B.Caulfields vans. NMPs

Ray Smyth.

Spotted the BDC Bedford Drivers Club badge adjacent to the headlight.

David

Pictures of Bootle Fire Brigade vehicles from the early 1960s, found on Bootle Times Forum.
A mixture of vehicles, Bedford, Dennis, Austin/Morris. The turntable ladder in the centre of
the last picture looks like it could be a Foden or ERF, not sure. The motor scooter is a Puch.

Ray Smyth.

Bootle Fire Brigade....jpg

Bootle Fire Brigade..png

The turntable is an ERF, they were quite common in the 70’s.

Pete.

windrush:

Pete.

Thanks Dave. Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:
I think that I may have posted these pictures of Atlas Express lorries on Trucknet pages before,
but I cant recall which thread I may have put them on. The Liverpool depot of Atlas Express
was on the site of J.B.Caulfield, a large parcel carrier at Window Lane, Garston, not far from
Liverpool Airport. I would like to find some pictures of J.B.Caulfields vans. NMPs

Ray Smyth.

There is an Atlas express thread on here maybe they are on there

windrush:

Pete.

Hiya,
The Bootle Fire Station is on the Junction of Strand Rd and
Irlam Rd and was on my route to school during WW 2 and
was always busy in those far off days, the family lived up
Strand Rd nearer to where the new shopping centre stands
and Asda stands on the site of our old house. Happy days.

windrush:

Pete.

A Sentinel steam wagon from Rainford, near St Helens, parked outside the
Sentinel service depot on Vauxhall Road in Liverpool. NMP.

Vauxhall Road.jpg

Ray Smyth:
A Sentinel steam wagon from Rainford, near St Helens, parked outside the
Sentinel service depot on Vauxhall Road in Liverpool. NMP.

What’s amazing is how much vehicles have changed but the drainage pipes look exactly the same today as they did then.

Ray Smyth:
A Leyland FG bread van of Sunblest Bakery, seen in Seaforth, Merseyside in 1979.
Picture by Ged Fagan/ Bootle History Forum.

Deans pie shop in Seaforth; As an apprentice at Dutton-Forshaws Leyland truck dealership in 1979, this was the Saturday morning brekkie run shop ! Its long gone now and nearly 40 years later I met the woman who used to serve us our order, she even remembered the particular garage and the hand-written pies/pastie lists we handed in.

Santa Claus at the front of The Liver Building at the Pier Head in Liverpool
at the weekend. I assume that the BLUE Santa,s were Everton FC supporters.

Cheers, Ray.

Alright gang,
First post for me, I have enjoyed reading your posts about the old firms.
Can anyone help me with this request please.
Can anyone remember the names of firms in and around Liverpool in the 1960s.
Also the make of vehicles ,colours of the cabs etc and the loads the firms carried.
My dad used to work in the African Oil Mill bottom of Parliament Street, but I cannot remember the firms that used it, any help ?
I want to try and build up a list if possible for a little modelling diorama set in this period.
Thank you in anticipation.

my grandad and dad has been in the haulage in the south end of liverpool since the horse and cart days our yards have been in rathbone st / grafton st and parliament st my dad retired now my brother took over but he packed up the haulage a few years ago .i have posted a couple of pics on other subject (r j larkin) there the only pics i can get . others were stolen from yard years ago i have ask a couple of l/pool lads for some old l/pool operater pics there does,nt seem to be a lot of old l/pool stuff out there considering the amount of firms that run out of liverpool p/s hope this makes sense i am fairly new to this site like yourself and a one finger typist keyboards are new to me :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :question: :question:

Thanks Truckspark,
For taking the time to reply to my post.
Was your family Company called Larkin or went by another name.
Its amazing that there is so little in the way of pics or memories of the Liverpool hauliers.
Cheers

yeh my dad operated under R J LARKIN Liverpool ltd here are some pics

these pics are from when we had the yard on parliament st .if i can get any pics from anyone else i will put them on

Truckspark
Great pics, where abouts on Parly was your dads yard.
What lorries did your dad have in the 1960s and has he always had this colour livery.
Pity you dont have pics of them aswell.
Cheers
Dave

the yard was part of the old wright & crossely warehouse that had been demolished after a fire. Its where cains brewery is now. In the late 50s, early 60s, the wagons were brown and cream, My dad used to do the coal around the bull ring and scotty road. And he also used to do the markets of a night with fruit with walter hales.
We also did a mix of general haulage, when we went onto the artics, we used to do more containers for ACE, used to also work as subbies for george davies’ and union cartaged company, and union distribution.
I have just got pictures of other liverpool hauliers, i will put them on the site soon.

Be nice to see some more pics of Liverpool firms.
I suppose there must be some pics in books if anyone has them ?

hers a few more pics of liverpool wagons hopefully more to follow

Photobucket