LHD Krupp-cabbed Atkinson CLT

A new TN member called ‘Crashbox’ has just reported on the Best UK Long-haul Truck thread that he used to drive a CLT and that it was comfortable and reliable. I hope he posts on this thread :wink:

Here’s the link to read the rest of his experiences with it:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=108189&p=2428803#p2428803

Robert

Hello Robert,
Yes I will endeavour to get somebody to scan the photos that I have of the Krupp cab Atkinson that I use to drive. I will then try to load them on to the site.

Regards John

CrashBox:
Hello Robert,
Yes I will endeavour to get somebody to scan the photos that I have of the Krupp cab Atkinson that I use to drive. I will then try to load them on to the site.

Regards John

That would be wonderful John. Also, I have just realised that I quoted you from another thread right at the start of this one! Clearly you have something to offer here as we are discussing a lorry that was produced 50 years and only about a dozen or less were made, so we are very lucky to find someone who actually drove a CLT. Cheers, Robert

Hello Robert,

I have taken some photos of the old photos that I have using a digital camera. In turn I have loaded these on to my computer so I will now see if I can post them on the site. I havn’t attempted this before so it may be that I might require some guidance.

regards, John.

CrashBox:

No pics for me Crashbox. Tap reply then upload attach then choose file, it should give you a choice. Tap the one you want then add file then place inline, preview to see what you’re posting if OK submit. Cheers Paul

Just follow the instructions in this link from another forum on the TruckNet site:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=62414&hilit=an+easy+way+to+upload+pictures

It shows you how to upload pics. Robert

Reference LHD Krupp Cab Atkinson.

I will attempt to load the photos that I have on my PC.
The one at the services near Milan was 1972 when I was on my way to load peaches at Ferrara near Bologna.
This was when the vehicle was hauling for Mat / Brittania Express. The delivery was to Munro Floral Street in
the old Covent Garden market. I can even remember the exporter it was Luigi Mantanari.
The other photos were taken after the repaint to blue and yellow. The ones in the snow were taken in Chamonix one night when the approach to the Mont Blanc was closed. It is me standing on the front bumper
with Bernie Stone ( the owner of the vehicle ).

Well some of the images are a bit hazy but the one near Milan looks ok. By the way the picture in Chamonix
where I am standing on the bumper. The coat that I am wearing (the same as the one Bernie Stone has on)
were both purchased by Bernie in a small Boutique in Chamonix. Happy days.

John Blewitt.

CrashBox:
Well some of the images are a bit hazy but the one near Milan looks ok. By the way the picture in Chamonix
where I am standing on the bumper. The coat that I am wearing (the same as the one Bernie Stone has on)
were both purchased by Bernie in a small Boutique in Chamonix. Happy days.

John Blewitt.

John, these pictures are fantastic mate :sunglasses: ! Well worth waiting for. Many of the pics on this thread are of CLTs in factory condition so it’s really great to see photos of one hard at work on long-haul duties. Cheers :smiley: , Robert

For a late '60s Brit long-hauler, this ‘CLT’ LHD Silver Knight with a Krupp cab that tilted should have done better, if only among UK hauliers on international work. The new EEC was looming on the horizon. By any standards it appears to have been a good truck. ‘Crashbox’ reports that it was comfortable and drove well. Of the 12 or so built, we know some did regular trips to Greece, Italy and Malta. Look at the spec:

12.17 litre naturally-aspirated RR Eagle 220 (with a 260 as an option)
6-sp constant-mesh ZF AK6-80 'box (with ZF AKS-90 synchro version as an option)
power steering
spring brakes
tilt cab

I don’t think I’d have turned my nose up that. Robert

A bit of idle speculation here: reading Peter Davies’s article again (which I posted earlier in the thread) I notice that Atkinson put the idea of buying up the tooling for the Krupp cabs as well as buying up existing stocks, on the back burner in case the project didn’t take off. Had they done so, and the project had been more successful one wonders if we might have seen those cabs adapted for a LHD Borderer when it came out shortly afterwards. Thus we might have had Krupp cabbed left-■■■■■■ Borderers with either 250 ■■■■■■■■ 280 Rollers or 240 Gardners coupled to the ubiquitous 9-speed Fuller. Not an entirely unpleasant thought. Robert

Scan_20170404 (2)detail.jpg
Scan_20170404 (3)detail2.jpg
Scan_20170404 (7)detail.jpg

Quite a nice cab and well designed,A pillars set back to reduce blind spots,bonnet hump like F88 though.Manufactures were undecided to set the cabs high up in the 60,s/70,s for sure.

railstaff:
Quite a nice cab and well designed,A pillars set back to reduce blind spots,bonnet hump like F88 though.Manufactures were undecided to set the cabs high up in the 60,s/70,s for sure.

Yes, I quite liked the position of the A-pillars. I’ve just noticed that several of the CLTs pictured on this thread sport triple windscreen wipers, so the development process must have started within the scope of the mere dozen produced! Robert

Compare:

with:

continental_18066.jpg

My eyes are really bad but is there a difference of left and right hand drive?

The cab looks almost attractive in its original Krupp guise, but the Atki radiator spoils it completely. The front end of he original Viewline had an arrangement not dissimilar to the Krupp, so Atkinson were not averse to losing the exposed radiator. Why did they not just leave the cab as it was? OK, so it was a bit old-fashioned by the end of the 1960s, but that’s what Atkinson customers wanted! Terrible decision not to buy the tools, IMO- they would have cost buttons, and that cab was perfect for Atkinson. I bet it was more corrosion-resistant than the 400 cab.

railstaff:
My eyes are really bad but is there a difference of left and right hand drive?

They’re all left-hookers :wink: Robert

[zb]
anorak:
The cab looks almost attractive in its original Krupp guise, but the Atki radiator spoils it completely. The front end of he original Viewline had an arrangement not dissimilar to the Krupp, so Atkinson were not averse to losing the exposed radiator. Why did they not just leave the cab as it was? OK, so it was a bit old-fashioned by the end of the 1960s, but that’s what Atkinson customers wanted! Terrible decision not to buy the tools, IMO- they would have cost buttons, and that cab was perfect for Atkinson. I bet it was more corrosion-resistant than the 400 cab.

Yes, I liked this cab back in the '60s (as Krupps) as it was pleasing to the eye. And I agree that Atkinson appears to have made little attempt to harmonise the angular exposed radiator with the curvilinear cab design. It looks like a dummy radiator to me, similar to the ones Atkinson put on their later Viewlines and Borderers. Apparently, customers kicked up a fuss about the tin-front cabs (ie the Guardsman and original Viewline) not looking like proper lorries so Atkinson actually reintroduced the radiators in dummy form. One wonders if, perversely, a less pugnacious looking front end might have attracted more customers! Robert

Scan_20170404 (5)detail3.jpg

Another unsuccess British story.It must have been a British management syndrome.A full steel cab or a wooden with no heating cab.Erm I think we will take the SHED if its all the same says the Atkinson top brass.Notice it had a nice low bunk and good size sleeper too instead of 3 x 2 and shed felt.

Maybe that was a bit harsh,sorry guys.

railstaff:
Maybe that was a bit harsh,sorry guys.

Not at all: fair comment I’d say. One good thing came out of it all; Atkinson’s talented engineer, Jack Cooke, jumped ship when they merged with Seddon, to become chief engineer at ERF where he designed the fantastic NGC ‘European’ :sunglasses: :smiley: . Robert