LHD Krupp-cabbed Atkinson CLT

Mackem:

robert1952:
[attachment=1]continental_18066.jpg

This one belonged to Dixons Pork of Ashton u Lyne, I remember it being a regular visistor to Sunderland when I was somewhat younger.

Cheers Mackem. One wonders where they all ended up! Robert

Hey, Robert were there more sold outside England as the one in Belgium, like France or Holland ■■?
I don’t think that the one in Belgium has been restored or went back too England, but you never know ■■?

Eric,

tiptop495:
Hey, Robert were there more sold outside England as the one in Belgium, like France or Holland ■■?
I don’t think that the one in Belgium has been restored or went back too England, but you never know ■■?

Eric,

I don’t know Eric, but I doubt it. I think only 10 or so were made in the end. Cheers! Robert

I visited theVALOR chocolate Museum yesterday and found this photograph om the wall. Whilst it reminds me of a Pegaso it had an ‘A’ on the front. Not being a Krupp cab I thought that this was the only thread in which it might get some attention and some answers as to whether it was another unknown attempt to try another market.

Sorry about the quality but it was the only way I could get a

picture

Peter

Probably an Atkinson with a locally built body. I put pictures of similar wagons with locally built Portuguese cabs, taken in Lisbon, somewhere on these threads. Cheers! Robert

Just to cross-reference this thread with an older one that’s just cropped up:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55024&p=2084851#p2084851

Robert

Bumped up for ‘Johnny C’. Robert

Quite a…er…remarkable cab, especially the front of it, reminds a bit of a boxer’s face for some reason…

Cheers, Patrick

A new pic! Robert

Now that the June issue of Classic Truck magazine is on the shelves, I thought this thread might benefit greatly from an excellent article by Peter Davies in last month’s issue, about the LHD Krupp-cabbed Atkinson CLT. Enjoy!

Found this in an old Atkinson book by Nick Baldwin. Robert

I have always been puzzled by this. When Atkinson took it up, the Krupp cab was already very old-fashioned looking and associated with a company which just stopped making lorries altogether, not something you’d really want if you are trying to break into a new market. I always thought a better option would have been a cleaned-up version of the Australian GRP cab (no rust - ever) which proved itself to be as tough as nails downunder. I wonder whether anyone at Preston ever considered this or simply ignored the potential - I know Leyland was very “good” at ignoring the useful suggestions of its Aussie branch (as it did with those coming from Leyland Ashdod in Israel) so maybe we have another example of that kind of an approach.

Leyland Ash:
I have always been puzzled by this. When Atkinson took it up, the Krupp cab was already very old-fashioned looking and associated with a company which just stopped making lorries altogether, not something you’d really want if you are trying to break into a new market. I always thought a better option would have been a cleaned-up version of the Australian GRP cab (no rust - ever) which proved itself to be as tough as nails downunder. I wonder whether anyone at Preston ever considered this or simply ignored the potential - I know Leyland was very “good” at ignoring the useful suggestions of its Aussie branch (as it did with those coming from Leyland Ashdod in Israel) so maybe we have another example of that kind of an approach.

A thought-provoking and interesting post - thank you! I agree that the Australian cab was almost certainly more suitable, more durable and more desirable (by drivers), but I suspect that in 1968/9 Atkinson was probably looking to adopt a LHD cab that was already Euro-friendly and was already cheap (because Krupp was closing).

On the Leyland front, I’m not entirely convinced that Leyland ignored its overseas experience - leastways, Pat Kennett who did trouble-shooting for Leyland in the '60s and '70s was in a position to report back any needs for change. Whether Leyland ever responded is, of course, a different matter!

Cheers, Robert

Robert,

I don’t know about Atkinson but there’s a very long (and sometimes heated) discussion about Leyland here…

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=77860&hilit=LEYLAND

ERF-NGC-European:

Leyland Ash:

A thought-provoking and interesting post - thank you! I agree that the Australian cab was almost certainly more suitable, more durable and more desirable (by drivers), but I suspect that in 1968/9 Atkinson was probably looking to adopt a LHD cab that was already Euro-friendly and was already cheap (because Krupp was closing).

On the Leyland front, I’m not entirely convinced that Leyland ignored its overseas experience - leastways, Pat Kennett who did trouble-shooting for Leyland in the '60s and '70s was in a position to report back any needs for change. Whether Leyland ever responded is, of course, a different matter!

Cheers, Robert

Certainly the Australian cab was considered for use over here, and one was imported, mounted on a UK chassis and exhibited at the outside display at the 1968 Earls Court Show. That one entered service with R Hanson
Atkinson A’Asia Mk.1 cab by Chris Gardner, on Flickr
Skippy! by Chris Gardner, on Flickr
AWW 926G Atkinson ‘Gold Knight’ by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

However, Krupp did offer the option of finished, trimmed, LHD cabs, familiar already to the European market, and with the further option of acquiring the tooling shoudl the project succeed.

Concerning the Aussie Atkis, I have long wondered how they might have fared as a M/E motor, given the heavy duty spec of many of them, and the work they undertook at home. Picture this one on the Tahir Pass in the late 70s!
Untitled by Jason Lennon, on Flickr

A better version of the pic :wink: Robert

An excellent thread, great to see this unusual and extremely rare Truck looked at in more detail :slight_smile: The Aussie cab on Middle East work a good plan :sunglasses:

380streamline:
An excellent thread, great to see this unusual and extremely rare Truck looked at in more detail :slight_smile: The Aussie cab on Middle East work a good plan :sunglasses:

Oh yes! And I’ve just noticed ‘240Garnder’s’ comments on the same theme. I’ll start a new thread today on the Oz-Atki and invite our resident pontificator to preside over the proceedings! Robert

Just noticed this one’s on a K-plate (1971/2). It must have sat around for a while (3 years?) before being registered then! Probably a bargain at the time. Robert