Atki info required please

i asked on another thread about an atkinson and big al and 240 were looking more info
which i didn’t have at the time. so i went and looked at the truck and the reg is gty 943 n
and has the name k.allen tractors on the headboard and the name norman gibson? cramlington on the doors.
dont know why it has two different names,just looking for any history/info on it.

are all the atkinson lovers/experts stuck in the garage :slight_smile:

glenman:
are all the atkinson lovers/experts stuck in the garage :slight_smile:

Last time we corresponded cannot remember if I suggested trying Jill Honeybun at The Atkinson Society she has
a register of most restored Atkinson. I have been unable to find any info on the vehicle as yet but have it on
my radar screen. You sound like my wife she is always saying you spend more time in the garage with them
blessed lorries then you do with me, cost me a new car for her last weekend :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile: regards Big Al

i could do with a new car ! :slight_smile: thanks al any info will be welcome.
back to the garage then. :slight_smile:

Norman Gibson of Cramlington restored the motor. When I saw it before it was finished it was based at Dungait Transport of Cramlington. He later sold it to someone who uses it to move tractors. There was an article on it in one of the magazines, Heritage Commercials I think.

classicman it is now in belfast owned by a friend of mine.
not sure how long he has had exactly,it just came up in conversation a
few weeks ago. i know he has had it on a few runs and will be taking it
to a show this week.i told him about the experts on here and told him i
would try and get more info for him. although he’s not an old man :slight_smile: he is a
bit of an atkinson lover going back to when he went with his old man.
any more wee titbits are welcome,thanks.

classicman:
Norman Gibson of Cramlington restored the motor. When I saw it before it was finished it was based at Dungait Transport of Cramlington. He later sold it to someone who uses it to move tractors. There was an article on it in one of the magazines, Heritage Commercials I think.

I think it was new to Renner’s - HC did feature it a couple of years ago, I recall. It has a 250 ■■■■■■■ in front of an 8-speed David Brown range change box.

thanks for that, if i go to the show tomorrow i will get a few pics. a friend owns it and would be interested in any info.
if you have any old pics or info please keep it coming and i will pass it on. i drove past it a few days ago and thought
what an old pile of scrap and then realised how blasphemous that was. :smiley: funny that it has one name on the headboard
and another on the doors,is the man that restored it well known ?

Pics are a good idea as it may ring bells with someone if they see it.

Ken.

glenman:
thanks for that, if i go to the show tomorrow i will get a few pics. a friend owns it and would be interested in any info.
if you have any old pics or info please keep it coming and i will pass it on. i drove past it a few days ago and thought
what an old pile of scrap and then realised how blasphemous that was. :smiley: funny that it has one name on the headboard
and another on the doors,is the man that restored it well known ?

It’s a lot cheaper just to re-letter the headboard than to re-paint the cab!!

June 5th 1994 Cramlington Northumbria

thanks classicman,thats a good photo. it seems to have a plain diesel tank on it now ,and a black grill with a silver knight and ■■■■■■■ badge. ok if i can print this photo and show the owner ? oh, and the bumpers are the blue same as the cab.

very poor photo taken a few days ago.

240 Gardner might be able to help me ? Chris I had an email from a guy in Australia, do you know which Scottish Haulier he refers to and is the lorry in preservation ?

Hi Big Al , Found this picture of the second day drivng my old road knight north back up to Queensland, found this tralier with the right logo on it to make a good back drop. One of these cabs was sent to the earls court motor show in 1968 and sold to a Scottish haulier but no more where shipped and nor made in the UK. This attitude is one of factors in the death of English Lorry production. This would be one rare road Knight to find, a picture from inside is on your site listed as “That special cab” so where is it now has it survived the test of time Done truckin
Ray Jay

Big Al:
240 Gardner might be able to help me ? Chris I had an email from a guy in Australia, do you know which Scottish Haulier he refers to and is the lorry in preservation ?

Hi Big Al , Found this picture of the second day drivng my old road knight north back up to Queensland, found this tralier with the right logo on it to make a good back drop. One of these cabs was sent to the earls court motor show in 1968 and sold to a Scottish haulier but no more where shipped and nor made in the UK. This attitude is one of factors in the death of English Lorry production. This would be one rare road Knight to find, a picture from inside is on your site listed as “That special cab” so where is it now has it survived the test of time Done truckin
Ray Jay

Ah yes, Ray Jay’s GM-powered Atki, as featured in BLB and on You Tube!

Now about the Skippy cab in the U.K. - unfortunately he has only half of the story right.

A Reinforced Plastics cab was shipped over to Walton-le-Dale:

and it was mounted on a U.K.-spec 8-wheel tipper chassis (a 24-ton gross ‘Gold Knight’ with a 150 Gardner) and exhibited in the demonstration park at the 1968 Earls Court Show (not on the main stand in the hall):

The chassis was also fitted with an experimental rear suspension, called the Holset ‘Velvet Ride’.

It then went into service with R Hanson of Wakefield, and was registered AWW 926G:

I understand that it was later destroyed in an accident whilst still in service with Hanson.

Some of you may not have seen these before,especially with the Taylor Hull NZ made cab.

These old girls would have worked bloody hard for their money pulling six decks of sheep,it’s steep country where they were based.

Note the four piece windscreen,most probably a 250 ■■■■■■■ and a six speed DB box.
Cheers Jamie

NZ JAMIE:
Some of you may not have seen these before,especially with the Taylor Hull NZ made cab.

Note the four piece windscreen,most probably a 250 ■■■■■■■ and a six speed DB box.
Cheers Jamie

Nice pics Jamie, thanks for those. That Taylor Hull cab was a strange-looking thing, wasn’t it?

The ones in the photos with the 4-piece screen look like the centre screens are fixed - often, they could be opened for ventilation. All the Mk.1 front wings were made with the base of the extra screen pillar, and you would just trim it off for most applications.

I think it would be a ZF box behind a 250 ■■■■■■■■ by the way - a DB couldn’t really manage a 220 ■■■■■■■ properly. You’d have been glad of a Fuller on those hills though! Atkinson down there did have Fullers behind both Gardner and ■■■■■■■ during the 1960s, well before they had them in the U.K.

Good info mate,yeah I reckon your onto it with the ZF box behind the ■■■■■■■■ Interesting to know that about the windscreen pillars,I guessing that the were left as four piece to prevent the screens from poping out. which the wrapounds had a habbit of doing on unmade roads.
I’ll try and find some more pics.
Cheers Jamie

NZ JAMIE:
Good info mate,yeah I reckon your onto it with the ZF box behind the ■■■■■■■■ Interesting to know that about the windscreen pillars,I guessing that the were left as four piece to prevent the screens from poping out. which the wrapounds had a habbit of doing on unmade roads.
I’ll try and find some more pics.
Cheers Jamie

This is how the untrimmed wing looks when it comes out of the jig:

The cab was also available with a steel frame too.

Grant’s 1958 Atkinson 6.LW,Gardner 112,HP. 6SPEED D/B.box. kirkstall back axel with underslung springs.
was £4100. with Harkness livestock body… trailor carrymore was extra…

1971 Atkinson 205 ■■■■■■■■ 10,speed fuller,