LGV/HGV training BROKERS (middlemen)

ROG:
Please remember that this site has rules on making unfounded accusations or deflamatory remarks etc

Shouldn’t that be Diesel Daves territory Rog?

He will deflame the situation :laughing:

I recognise all those names!

Had to rescue a customer on friday that had a quote for 1:1 training, 4 day course inc test fee and vat for £999.99, Our cost is around £1300 so obviously he thought about shifting to, i think it was DirectLGV, but there is no way the course could be good quality, not for that price, take off the test fee and the vat, and the truck is only earning £187 per day, how do they pay for decent instructor, good truck and £60 of diesel and still earn a profit for both the instructor and the agency, it just doesn’t add up. Maybe they say they do 1:1 but shorten the day to 4/5/6 hours, spend lots of time in a layby chatting or have some other method.

Pointed all this out to our customer and they fortunately saw the deal looked a bit iffy, could have lost out on that one easily and i’m sure they do manage to get some work. They ask us to train drivers for them but at £150 per day I would rather have the waggon stood, it costs me less!

1 to 1 over 4 days would be more likely to be half days IMO as it is in most cases.

ROG:
1 to 1 over 4 days would be more likely to be half days IMO as it is in most cases.

That would be correct in our case Rog. AM or PM to suit.

Is Pathway HGV still going or have they finally given up?

They ceased trading on Monday 23rd November.

Pat

Mark28:
Is Pathway HGV still going or have they finally given up?

Is Highway anything to do with them?

Pathway closes one day then Highway opens the next from an office around the corner!!

Is this the same company under a different name?

If it is all the people who are owed money have somewhere to go to air their views!

If it is not then the people behind Highway should distance themselves from Pathway and make it public knowledge of who they are and where they are from

When I was doing my test at Yeading I actually saw a Pathway lorry, I think they must have branched off to having their own lorries before packing up. I was one of the ‘mugs’ who went through them, if i’d have known better i would have gone direct to a school and saved a fair bit. When I turned up to do my Class2 the instructor met me in a lorry park, fair play he was good.

Pathway closes one day then Highway opens the next from an office around the corner!!

Is this the same company under a different name?

If it is all the people who are owed money have somewhere to go to air their views!

I have spoken to Hackney Trading Standards and voiced ‘my concerns’ about this and as it’s only 3.9 miles away they will investigate!

Pat

ROG:
Over the past few months I have had quite a few PMs asking if this or that company are brokers (middlemen) so I thought a list of them might be useful.

It is recommended by those on this site that the potential LGV trainee should visit the school they may wish to train with so that they can meet the instructor(s) and perhaps view the truck(s) and any facilities before parting with any money.

I am delberately not going to make comments as to the credibility, or not, of any broker - I am quite sure members will post their own personal experiences or views if they wish to.
Please remember that this site has rules on making unfounded accusations or deflamatory remarks etc

easyashgv.co.uk
britishschooloftrucking.com
advantagehgv.co.uk
qualitastraining.co.uk
highwaylgv.co.uk
directlgv.co.uk

Any more ?

This site has a list of Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members which can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature below.

There is also hgvlgvtraining.co.uk which contains a list of independant (non broker) LGV training schools.

thelgvtrainingcompany.co.uk/ … 4wodKQiZkQ

Could this be another Rog

chevmac:
http://www.thelgvtrainingcompany.co.uk

IT IS !! - “We have over 40 training schools” was said to me on the phone

ROG:

chevmac:
http://www.thelgvtrainingcompany.co.uk

IT IS !! - “We have over 40 training schools” was said to me on the phone

The distinction between HGV & LGV is interesting, rigid or articulated :laughing:

Seems like there is a driver shortage again :open_mouth:

At least you get time with your families while still being able to earn 30k

Tockwith Training:
I recognise all those names!

Had to rescue a customer on friday that had a quote for 1:1 training, 4 day course inc test fee and vat for £999.99, Our cost is around £1300 so obviously he thought about shifting to, i think it was DirectLGV, but there is no way the course could be good quality, not for that price, take off the test fee and the vat, and the truck is only earning £187 per day, how do they pay for decent instructor, good truck and £60 of diesel and still earn a profit for both the instructor and the agency, it just doesn’t add up. Maybe they say they do 1:1 but shorten the day to 4/5/6 hours, spend lots of time in a layby chatting or have some other method.

Pointed all this out to our customer and they fortunately saw the deal looked a bit iffy, could have lost out on that one easily and i’m sure they do manage to get some work. They ask us to train drivers for them but at £150 per day I would rather have the waggon stood, it costs me less!

How Dare you suggest that because somebody is charging less than you they wont be delivering good quality training.
I’m based in the North West - Wigan to be precise and charge considerably less than the £999 you’ve quoted and i Do deliver good quality training and can show a very good 1st time pass rate and overall pass rate as well. Just because i’m cheap i’m certainly not nasty(tongue firmly in cheek) :imp:
I make a living on what i charge and just about keep “ticking over”. It would be lovely to charge your rates but unfortunately it just wouldn’t work up here.
Don’t tar us all with the same brush and make stupid remarks about the cost. You’re very welcome to spend a day with me and check out my Poor quality training :imp:
Maybe the punters will pay that in upmarket York but not here in Wigan.

Without trying to take the thread too off topic…

I agree with you Tunny43. I paid £1299 including vat + test fees for a joint C and CE course with a company in Manchester, all I had to do was pay for a couple of nights in a hotel. Top quality training and couldn’t fault the instructors or the set up one bit. Fair enough I failed my first C test but that was my fault, went for the retest and got 2 minors so I’d say my training was of the highest quality. Have yet to go back and do the CE part of the deal but that will be taken care of early next year.

Mark28:
Without trying to take the thread too off topic…

I agree with you Tunny43. I paid £1299 including vat + test fees for a joint C and CE course with a company in Manchester, all I had to do was pay for a couple of nights in a hotel. Top quality training and couldn’t fault the instructors or the set up one bit. Fair enough I failed my first C test but that was my fault, went for the retest and got 2 minors so I’d say my training was of the highest quality. Have yet to go back and do the CE part of the deal but that will be taken care of early next year.

How much did you have to pay for the retest?

Did you pay all the money up front for the C+E course?

Are they still going to be there when you go back for your C+E?

How Dare you suggest that because somebody is charging less than you they wont be delivering good quality training.
I’m based in the North West - Wigan to be precise and charge considerably less than the £999 you’ve quoted and i Do deliver good quality training and can show a very good 1st time pass rate and overall pass rate as well. Just because i’m cheap i’m certainly not nasty(tongue firmly in cheek) :imp:
I make a living on what i charge and just about keep “ticking over”. It would be lovely to charge your rates but unfortunately it just wouldn’t work up here.
Don’t tar us all with the same brush and make stupid remarks about the cost. You’re very welcome to spend a day with me and check out my Poor quality training :imp:
Maybe the punters will pay that in upmarket York but not here in Wigan.

I agree with you. I’ve had to adjust our rates to allow for the recession. We have overheads that have to be met whether we charge £5 or £50. So the rates are simply a matter of commercial judgement and it’s not a good idea IMO to gauge the quality of training provision on price. :laughing: :laughing:

Whilst I am in no way a fan of Sterling/Qualitas as companies, what is your definition of a broker. As the aforementioned company(ies) do have their own vehicles in several different areas, should they be called ‘brokers’?

I would say that the definition of a broker is a company that farms out the training to other schools on a regular basis

ROG:
I would say that the definition of a broker is a company that farms out the training to other schools on a regular basis

Sounds a fair enough definition - I didn’t know they did that on a regular basis.

Smart Mart:

ROG:

Sounds a fair enough definition - I didn’t know they did that on a regular basis.

There is a newish member on here who does know but I’ll let them decide whteher to reveal that info or not :wink: :smiley: