LGV Academy

Having picked up the name from another post, I thought I’d have a look at this broker. I’ve come up with a number of issues that may be of interest to readers:

They say they use only DSA Registered Schools. That’s clever - seeing as though DSA don’t register schools. There is no such register so what are they talking about?? The DSA have a Accredition for LGV driving schools - we’re proud to be on that list. But there is no such thing as a DSA registered school.

All the way through the website there is no mention of driver cpc. Any candidate who passed their car test after Jan 1st 1997 will have to complete the initial driver cpc. The typical cost of this is anywhere from £250 - £400. Maybe that’s why it’s not mentioned.

They state clearly that a “back to back” course is on offer where it is possible to complete the CAT C and CE in 10 days. Nonsense. The licence has to go to DVLA once the CAT C has been passed and then the CE has to be arranged. So this clearly can’t happen as the website suggests.

To qualify for training with LGV Academy, you have to be aged 21 - 65. Odd, as most other trainers will be happy from 18yrs to whatever provided the candidate has passed the medical.

The old chestnut - 80,000 vacancies. I’m saying nothing.

According to the price list, all the courses are approved. Approved by whom? The DSA don’t have any approval system for courses. So where does this statement come from?

If we look at the contact page we’re offered a free retest and £100 for sending a friend. Fantastic. Pity the offer ended 31st October!!

I am a trainer - and very proud of the fact. I deeply resent playing on the same playing field as people who wont tell the truth. I’m perfectly happy to compete with decent, honest trainers and we’ll all win some and lose some. But why anyone would waste their hard earned dealing with people who are telling downright lies is, frankly, beyond me.

I plead with anyone thinking of booking training. Unless you’ve got recommendation from a reliable source, PLEASE visit the trainer. You should meet the instructors, the admin staff, have a look around the training centre. See the facilities. Sit in a truck or two. No broker can offer you this level of service. Any reputable trainer will be happy to show you around. PLEASE do your homework before you spend your money. I don’t expect everyone to come to me (but feel free!!) but please go to a “real” bona fide trainer.

I’m knackered now!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I’m knackered now!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well done Peter, have you got Rog as a new scriptwriter?

Good informative post though and the truth hurts, we hope!

Re phone conversation I had with Peter other day he did give me a lot of helpful advice ( although not going to him for my CE due to a number of reasons ) but his advice was free & help make my mind up

I totally agree with what you say there & as we said it grieves me when people get caught out by brokers

I know we have a difference of opinion on this but if you visit a trainer & sit in 1 of there trucks even ask for a free “drive” most will accommodate to this ( some may charge a small fee but will take off if you book with them )

know we have a difference of opinion on this

■■?

Peter Smythe:

know we have a difference of opinion on this

■■?

Assessment drives if you read it all in its context

I’m happy to give anyone a free assessment drive - - - - - but my main point is that I wan’t to point out the glaring differences between a bona fida trainer and LGV Academy.

(Sorry if I misunderstood - been a long day!) :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I understand where peters coming from, joe public does not understand the difference between a qualified instructor and a “driver”, being the best driver in the world does not qualify you to teach.

I’m a grade 5 car driving instructor that is a fact not some show off credential, I currently want to “learn” to “drive” a truck yes I understand I will struggle with phase 1 because I have no experience of the “vehicle” but on phase 2 (can work the vehicle) I should now be able to put in a “part 2” or near drive.

I did a little assessment drive with company recently, the company knew my background and advertised they had DSA approved instructors. The guy who took me out was not a “fellow” instructor it takes one to know one, nice guy all the same said he had “done it all” even examiner, when I asked if a DSA examiner he replied yes.

I’m around DSA examiners every week and have been an instructor in my local area for 10 years was trained by a grade 6 ex driving examiner. When I go for my test I think I would have more in common with the examiner than I feel I did with my “instructor”.

Being nice and congenial does not a driving instructor make, it’s easy to spot errors but can you teach your pupil a technique/strategy to overcome their weakness.

Personally I felt I would be hiring a truck for a week, I think I’m going to struggle to get an “instructor”.

I think I’m going to struggle to get an “instructor”.

Maybe you should carry on looking. If you follow this link dsa.gov.uk/category.asp?cat=324 you will find every DSA accredited LGV centre in the UK. By definition, these schools should only employ fully qualified and registered DSA instructors.

A little bit tongue in cheek, but some (not all) ADI’s seem to think they’ll crack this easily. They have been known to find out differently. But approach it with an open mind and you should be fine.

There’s no reason to declare your history to your trainer; it might put his back up. Can’t defend it - it’s fact.

Best of luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

I think I’m going to struggle to get an “instructor”.

Maybe you should carry on looking. If you follow this link dsa.gov.uk/category.asp?cat=324 you will find every DSA accredited LGV centre in the UK. By definition, these schools should only employ fully qualified and registered DSA instructors.

A little bit tongue in cheek, but some (not all) ADI’s seem to think they’ll crack this easily. They have been known to find out differently. But approach it with an open mind and you should be fine.

There’s no reason to declare your history to your trainer; it might put his back up. Can’t defend it - it’s fact.

Best of luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I really don’t want too declare my “background” it’s not my fault I know instructional technique and the plank next to me might not be capable of giving the “fix”. Don’t just tell me I made a mistake when we both know I did, fill in the knowledge gap.

The whole crux of the thread is about not all instructors being the same at least the DSA have standards for instructional technique and in that sense a truck instructor and a car instructor are no different. Instructional technique is to do with the level of instruction and has nothing to do with driving or vehicle class.

I am a good instructor how am going to work with a “bad” instructor, trucks and cars have nothing to do with this, I could work with a guy like you we speak the same language.

If it’s imperative for me a qualified instructor to find a good professional instructor it’s even more so for those outside of the “training” profession, it’s just they could not spot the pretenders. :wink:

P.S I’ve read the ROG stuff and it’s very good for those with little or no background like me, too much knowledge is “assumed” by those in the “know” which is also a bad trait in some “instructors”.

You have reinforced and age-old problem with LGV tuition. i.e the fact that formal qualification isn’t compulsory. You teach a pupil on a Focus or similar and you have to be qualified. But anyone holding a licence for 3 years can go out and get a rusty old truck, stick L plates on it and call themselves an LGV driving school. It amazes many people to find this is the case.

The register for LGV instructors has been in place for over 10 years so plenty of time for anyone to qualify to be on it. The fact is that it’s a vicious circle. Unqualified intructors - candidates assuming everyone’s qualified - no reason to get qualified 'cos candidates think we’re qualified anyway. And so on, and so on.

The fact is that there are some trainers who have set themselves apart and gone through the mill to achieve the DSA qualification. Sadly, this is a relatively small number. Then there are some schools that have gone to the next stage and had their school accredited. They can only employ qualified instructors as well as satisfy many other quality standards. So the quality control system IS in place; it’s up to the candidate where they spend their money. The fact is that the first question often asked is “how much” rather than something relating to quality of training provision.

Usefull link dsa.gov.uk/category.asp?cat=324

Good luck all. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
You have reinforced and age-old problem with LGV tuition. i.e the fact that formal qualification isn’t compulsory. You teach a pupil on a Focus or similar and you have to be qualified. But anyone holding a licence for 3 years can go out and get a rusty old truck, stick L plates on it and call themselves an LGV driving school. It amazes many people to find this is the case.

Have I misread this? You have to be qualified to teach to in a car, but anyone who has held an hgv licence for 3 years can teach? I was sure it was the other way round or have I missed something that’s going make me wish I hadn’t replied to this post? :laughing:

Squiddy:

Peter Smythe:

Have I misread this? You have to be qualified to teach to in a car, but anyone who has held an hgv licence for 3 years can teach? I was sure it was the other way round or have I missed something that’s going make me wish I hadn’t replied to this post? :laughing:

Stranger than fiction :wink:

Squiddy:

Peter Smythe:

You have to be qualified to be a car driving instructor the most difficult test is the instructional ability test (i.e teaching) there is about a 10% final qualification pass rate to be a driving instructor over the three ADI tests.

Some very dodgy firms set up to part joe public from his cash with the promise of ADI qualifications countless shell out good redundancy money and were never going to make it.

The LGV “register” is voluntary so your instructor could be a “driver” but as said before this an instructor does not make. The reason most LGV trainers are not DSA instructor qualified is that it is hard and they don’t need to be. The instructional test would be the same as a car instructional test “core competency” it is not a DRIVING TEST it would be graded 1 to 6, 6 being the best grade.

There are 40000 ADI’s (car instructors) 1500 are grade 5, 200 are grade 6 the rest are grade 4, grades 1,2,3 have to take more training to keep their ADI badge.

You local car instructor is very well qualified it’s just that the “become a driving instructor” adverts are set up to con the stupid, much the same as the LGV “brokers” and some of the bigger companies are the worst offenders.

Sorry Squiddy you did ask. :laughing: and I am very bothered about getting a “real” instructor it’s 2 grand I can i’ll afford the car L market is very depressed mostly because insurance premiums for new drivers has rocketed,(£1500 +) since the financial (insurance) industry cannot make money on the “markets”. Younger people are finding it too expensive to drive at the moment.

I work 6 days a week and this is the only night I can safely have a drink and I have taken advantage of that tonight. Hence I may be completely missing the point at the moment and I will wake up red faced.

But it seems you are saying car instructors must be qualified, but hgv instructors don’t need to be?

When I did my car test nearly a whole lifetime ago I understood it that my Dad could have trained me fully and then put me through the test. (He insisted I had 5 professional lessons first as it happens).

Fast forward to 2010 and I suggested to my boss that I could learn Cat C in our companies 18T with one of the ‘old hands’ sitting next to me with L plates and was told that I had to have a qualified instructor next to me for this to be legal.

The company that trained me for HGV used qualified instructors … if qualified means taking a DSA test where you are allowed a maximum of 6 minors plus you have to ‘instruct’ the examiner who purposely drives very badly.

Please tell me I’m being confused otherwise what I have read is madness.

No Squiddy you have read it right

And yes your boss is wrong you can go out in the 18t with someone that has had there licence for 3 years or more as with a CE if your company has 1 again with a driver that has had that licence for more than 3 years

Yep it is total madness we know this

Yes it is ABSOLUTE MADNESS!! But it’s how it is.

Just a minor correction to an earlier post, unlike car instructors, LGV instructors (the few who are actually qualified) aren’t graded. It’s pass or fail. Trust me, there’s many out there who have tried and failed and still call themselves instructors.

And then you may wonder why I get so uptight!?!?!?! :laughing: :laughing:

But there are instructors & then there are " instructors "

But we wont go into that will leave that rant for another day

Squiddy your dad can still “teach” you but the modern driving test would be very difficult to pass unless you used a DSA qualified instructor. Your dad or who ever else having passed class B (three years +) could not take money or monies worth i.e petrol/favour or he would go to the pokey having broke the driving instructors act.

The chances of him running a school locally and not having an ADI certificate displayed in his car window would stick out like a sore thumb amongst local instructors and he would be reported to the police and not the DSA.

If you have passed your class C (three years +) your can teach and take money without the above happening, you could sit on your license and buy a cheap truck park it on farmland etc and be teaching LGV.

Can you see the worry and it’s worse for me as I’m a DSA grade 5 qualified driving instructor.

Yeah I see where your and Peters frustrations are coming from now. From what I’m reading I could set myself up as an LGV training school 3 years from now as long as I abide by the operators laws even if I had no experience of driving LGVs between now and 3 years time? That’s genuinely shocking!