Leggett Logistics (freightways)

Hiya all.
Do any of you remember Steve Power, one of Enfields night trunkers? Well, last week, I received a phone call from his son in law telling me that Steve had passed away after a massive heart attack. He’d had no prior warnings, and to all intents and purposes was as fit as a butchers dog. He was cremated on Friday. :frowning:
Since he was made redundant at Leggetts, he had been doing European tanker driving.
R.I.P. Steve, now you’ve gone to the great truckstop in the sky.

I worked for the Stockport depot 94- 96 on the night trunk to enfield. I passed the old depot a month ago and it is still empty and has been for at least 3 years.

Hello all,

Sorry I haven’t posted for a while, been in therapy ever since I saw the photo of the Fuda bags! Currently working at Seaham, and have had a few old names pass through by chance; Mick from Rotherham in a Mcgregor’s motor, ‘Jazz’ the Birmingham driver (working for Birds), and spoke to Kevin from Swindon a few months back quite by chance when I rang to book a delivery in at Cullompton. “What are the chances”?..
Spotted a few old names mentioned previously; Simon from Enfield (Simon Jarram?), who I think worked out of St. Albans when Bush Alba was ‘on the go’, with another three drivers whose names escape me. I remember Mick Arlington and Harvey Chown were ‘in charge’.
Are Leggett’s still operating, used to see a few trailers about, but none lately?

hello
leggetts have reverted back to pointbid they now use all white hire trucks although they still rent out and use the trailers that they had albeit now all the writing is marked out

Thanks Herb, some of these trailers must be quite an age now!

here is an old favourite ex bothwell depot Bell and Bain some of the pallets were light where as others as seen here were rather heavy just like the other bothwell contract of harper Collins If I recall we at Swindon had to do a few deliveries on behalf of Enfield depot as they tended to get it wrong or so we were told…I thought I would throw in the security hut in at Swindon for good measure as well

I drove a lorry past there the other day, it looked much the same as it did then, I could only do a quick glance as I headed towards the sharp bend. :grimacing:

I was myself thinking of going back over there to take a look round the back seeing that the gates are always left open see if it has changed in anyway

Hi all. Here’s a bit of old news that I’ve only just heard about, so apologies if you already knew. Apparently, about 15 or so months ago, ex Reddish night trunk driver Barry Dawson, aka Digger, was found dead in his flat. He lived alone, and was a pretty heavy drinker throughout his life, but hit the bottle a lot harder after Leggetts closed Reddish depot. Apparently, the excessive volumes of alcohol he was downing really done for him, and was 100% to blame.
It’s very sad news indeed, as he was a nice feller, and to die alone is absolutely awful.
God Bless you Digger. Keep on Truckin’. :cry:

heard recently that both Ronnie Searle and Keith france and no longer with us I see that the trailers are still knocking about as seen in this news story be warned though the content is not nice
standard.co.uk/news/london/m … 40846.html

Hello Herb.
How are things?
Myself and Chris G still reminisce about our Leggett days. Know of any other drivers kicking about? Chris doesn’t have the internet, so keeps asking me if I’ve heard from you.

yes I’m still alive plodding along who can remember this little gem

theboltonnews.co.uk/news/172 … a_lorry/
the nail in the coffin

herbington:
yes I’m still alive plodding along who can remember this little gem

theboltonnews.co.uk/news/172 … a_lorry/
the nail in the coffin

That ‘Superior’ was M.P. He was often trying to get me to meet him or his uncle to catch things when they fell off. He used to come in Sundays when I was on security, and rummage through the trailers with the threat that I would end up with ■■■■ runs if I bubbled him. He often dipped the tanks as well.

Bit of bad news for anyone who knew him, little Rodney Edmonds who was at Swindon Dept for a while has passed away.

At last after weeks of trying to remember a name, can anyone remember Larry Hicks who worked at the Chingford depot…

altitude:
Bit of bad news for anyone who knew him, little Rodney Edmonds who was at Swindon Dept for a while has passed away.

Is that stuttering Rodney? If so will miss him, had a lot of time for Rodney, out in the yard at Chingford one day looking for him in his motor, couldn’t see him on the bunk spent another half hour looking for him found him in his motor curled up on the engine cowling out of sight fast asleep, when I was running the European side of Leggett’s told the drivers if there is any problem with early morning ferry bookings to give me ring at home never was, but always got one off of Rodney at 3 In the morning to tell me there are no problems, grr, still a nice bloke RIP Rod.

OssieD:

altitude:

Is that stuttering Rodney? If so will miss him, had a lot of time for Rodney, out in the yard at Chingford one day looking for him in his motor, couldn’t see him on the bunk spent another half hour looking for him found him in his motor curled up on the engine cowling out of sight fast asleep, when I was running the European side of Leggett’s told the drivers if there is any problem with early morning ferry bookings to give me ring at home never was, but always got one off of Rodney at 3 In the morning to tell me there are no problems, grr, still a nice bloke RIP Rod.

Yeah that’s him mate bless him.

i remember little Rodney sometimes used to wear a red hat which was all sometimes you could see over the steering wheel he was a good mate of TC People used to take the mick out of his stutter which I found very cruel but he took it in his stride He was a nice chap

herbington:
i remember little Rodney sometimes used to wear a red hat which was all sometimes you could see over the steering wheel he was a good mate of TC People used to take the mick out of his stutter which I found very cruel but he took it in his stride He was a nice chap

He’s had that all his life mate. I have known him since school. He didn’t put up with it in his younger years, seen many a bloke some of them bloody big blokes sat on there arse for taking the ■■■■. :laughing: not much to the lad but he never lacked in ■■■■■■■■ when it came to a fight. :slight_smile:

i see a few changes have happened at duck lees lane of late ! first this

POINTBID LOGISTICS SYSTEMS LTD
Director(s): METROPOLITAN HOUSE, STATION ROAD, CHEADLE HULME CHEADLE SK8 7AZ
Removed operating centre: 102 EAST DUCK LEES LANE, PONDERS END , ENFIELD EN3 7SS
New operating centre: CHINGFORD ISLAND, HARBERT ROAD , LONDON E4 8ST (0 vehicle(s), 0 trailer(s))
New authorisation at this operating centre will be: 45 vehicle(s), 45 trailer(s)
and it seems they have sold it and renamed themselves
beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02231266
makes for some interesting reading