Kenworth K100 UHW564V NRK790 PHU503R

kwhopper:
I have a really nice photo framed that they bought for me when we sold the truckstop. It was PHU on the South West Truckers stand at Shepton Mallet in the mid 90s. She was all polished up and in show condition and looking good. It has been enlarged so much that I cant scan it onto the PC. Steve

Hi Steve I also have a picture like that, it comes from a truck magazine that Steve Ansell (the man with the White Road Commander 2 who brought us in contact a couple of years ago) gave me some time ago, I had it scanned a while ago, but in the weekend I try to find the magazine to see what year it is from.

And I try to scan all my photos I have of English KW, both of my truck (that marc bubbleman sent me) and others (that I bought in Gaydon).

Gavin McArdle:

I’m sure that is either the same one as ECT’s and now is PHU or it’s sister it has the filler cap on the RH rear of the cab. Do you know if it had a Detroit?

Hi Gavin, this might indeed be PHU because it has that water filler cap (unfortunately the kitchenette has gone, who is to blame for that■■? :laughing: ) and it has the same bumper and this is the only KW I have seen with that bumper on it. I cannot see the emblem on the radiator filler door, because this should be the old style one with the letters not straight but in the old style “italic” as you can see on the Zeebrugge photo. Unfortunately they stole that here in Belgium before I bought the truck.

Hi Gerdi, I 've worked out why your truck would have been re - registered. V reg no. would have been about 79/80 at that time the DVLA would have given a reg no valid on the day it was registered. Later they discovered that some vehicles were being sold as being newer than they were. Your truck could have been a prime example, if a potential buyer did not know what he was looking for he could be persuaded it was a 79/80 model. So the DVLA changed the rules, you could not have a number that was newer than the vehicle(but you could have one that was older) if you could not prove the age of the vehicle you got a Q plate. Your truck must have had the correct details when it was imported so after Norman Keedwell took his personal plate off it was given a R plate 76/77. Both HW & HU were Bristol numbers.
Gavin

Hi Gavin, that was another funny thing I didn’t understand about the truck. Although the fuel tanks say “manufactured 1976”, the paperwork says “date of first registration 01 09 79”, but on the same paper there is also a special note “declared manufactured 1977”. And therefore I have to wait until after 01 09 2009 to register it as oldtimer in Belgium (minimum 30 yrs old)!!! And maybe the time between 1976/77 and 1979 it was in Switzerland with Walti or something. This paper still says engine number DD8V92T908VF5974 although there is a ■■■■■■■ in it now. I think my KW is a Transorient. I have scanned the sales brochure, but I cannot upload any picture now. It seems half the world is on the net this afternoon. Maybe tomorrow or Monday better luck.

New demo model with ■■■■■■■■

hi, this kenworth was owned by my dad when it was in england and registered yhw 564v. he had it painted with the kw stripes and had his name in italics under the window. do you still own this truck? nice to read the history of it, very interesting. we used to run it from uk to luxembourg haulin christmas trees and tractors. if possible it would be great to see some pictures of it now? few years after we sold it we went to buy it back but someone had replaced the detroit with a ■■■■■■■ and put a 9speed road ranger box in instead of the 15 speed it had before. cheers, Roy

PHU503R:

Gavin McArdle:

I’m sure that is either the same one as ECT’s and now is PHU or it’s sister it has the filler cap on the RH rear of the cab. Do you know if it had a Detroit?

Hi Gavin, this might indeed be PHU because it has that water filler cap (unfortunately the kitchenette has gone, who is to blame for that■■? :laughing: ) and it has the same bumper and this is the only KW I have seen with that bumper on it. I cannot see the emblem on the radiator filler door, because this should be the old style one with the letters not straight but in the old style “italic” as you can see on the Zeebrugge photo. Unfortunately they stole that here in Belgium before I bought the truck.

Same picture Harry,just different angle!

This is what I know about it (what I was told): It came into UK in red/white (similar like BJ and the Bear) and with licenceplate YHW564V, then it went to Swiftflight in the same colors, later it went to John Golding and was painted blue/cream. Then it went to J.C.Spencer and was painted green/black

We bought it from Spencers and had it resprayed with the kw stripes.

kenworth 004.jpg