Just some general info

i strongly disagree with your opinion about retaining employees, there wil be always a revolvind door in trucking companies, this is how the economic works, you cant pay more for drivers without an increase of the price of the service, it dosent work like that, unfortanatly.

i have read a lot of articles in the last couple of months from the Canadian press about the TFW system, and i have read all the coments that was writen, the general opinion of the public is that a TFW is taking thier job, so harper administration tried to win some votes with the public with this overhaul of the system, the problem is that none of the canadians want this jobs in the begining, the minister shouted from the roof tops “canadian first” but its backfired on him, show me one canadian willing to work for tim hortons? or wiling to be away from home for 2-3 weeks? or maybe go work in an isoleted comunity up north?

unfortanatly this political spin and the dramatic drop in oil prices hurt the chance to immigrate to canada, the chance of geting the elusive LMIA is lower by the day, and if you are fortunate enough to find one you hang on to it like you grabing god by the balls until you get a PR. the company know it, so they treat you accordingly.

maybe in the futere things will come around, but not at the moment. even bison stated on their FB page that they will not participate in the LMIA extravagaza in 2016. but they encourage drivers to apply and they keep their record for 2017 to see if the climate changes.

That’s right it is an opinion to which everyone is entitled to and on that note if the job was made more attractive to Canadians then the need for imported labour would not be required - are you in canada or attempting to get in ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russjp:
That’s right it is an opinion to which everyone is entitled to and on that note if the job was made more attractive to Canadians then the need for imported labour would not be required - are you in canada or attempting to get in ?

dont know about that, truck drivers are known to be not the most loyal workers, newer trucks, better routes, and they jump to another company. this is everywhere,

me? i trying to get back, my story is a bit different from the guys here.

big-al:

russjp:

dont know about that, truck drivers are known to be not the most loyal workers, newer trucks, better routes, and they jump to another company. this is everywhere,

Got to agree with Russ on this, there are 1000’s of Canadians with licences that just won’t work for the crap wages and conditions.
By massively reducing LMIA’s/TWP’s, these companies that relied on TWP’s have all got to up their game or lose business.
As far as I can see, it can only be good news for the existing workers.
2 or 3 of the big players, in their job adverts now, have “New Pay Structure” added.
The companies only can’t afford to pay more because of their greedy, race to the bottom undercutting.

neilg14:

big-al:

russjp:

Got to agree with Russ on this, there are 1000’s of Canadians with licences that just won’t work for the crap wages and conditions.
By massively reducing LMIA’s/TWP’s, these companies that relied on TWP’s have all got to up their game or lose business.
As far as I can see, it can only be good news for the existing workers.
2 or 3 of the big players, in their job adverts now, have “New Pay Structure” added.
The companies only can’t afford to pay more because of their greedy, race to the bottom undercutting.

maybe you are both right i realy dont know, what i see in job asverts in atlantic canada there isn’t much of a change, but they keep loworing the standarts, one advert cought my eye with the folowing requierment - english level - some english . :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
as far as i understand, the industry in the atlantic part in also going down.

about the pay structure, i know of 2 companies in MB that adverised a new pay structure last year of 0.54 cpm and still no one come over, they tried to apply for 10 lmia’s and got rejected, dont know the situation in this companies at the moment but i believe after they rejected the lmia the not bothering anymore to apply.

Three years ago I was on 34cpm in NB. After weeks of very low mileage and sitting for days on end at every stage of the trip I finally got to the point of calling another company about a job and as soon as my existing company found out about it, they more or less sacked me on the spot and sent around another English driver to my house who’d just arrived with an LMO to take back the truck before I’d even had chance to get my gear out of it. I hadn’t handed in my notice, I’d merely inquired about another job and all my company had to say was “We can’t be having trucks taken up by guys who aren’t staying when we have drivers with LMO’s fresh off the plane ready to do the job”. Funny how they suddenly had plenty of work and miles for that driver, but not for me.
Anyway, due to being pushed I had to take the other job which was 36cpm at the time, then the LMO fiasco came to a head and suddenly the flood gates were closed and it was panic stations at all the bottom dwelling companies. Some started upping their rates and the company I was with didn’t want their long term drivers leaving for more money so upped their rates ahead of the game. 3 years later, my pay has gone from 34cpm to 43cpm and I’m convinced that would never have happened had the status quo with TFW’s being allowed to continue.

this is fnny how people who used the TFW system to immigrate to canada, aftre they setteld in turns against it…

but robinhood is right, whithout the closere on the lmo’s his rate would be at the same level or increase by a cent or two.

Here’s the thing, there is a stark contrast between a company that has LMIA in place and actively recruits from overseas than a company that gets an LMIA because they have a specific driver from overseas that they want to employ.

If you attend a seminar in your home country, or apply through an advert in Truckstop News, then you’re going to end up at a bottom feeder.

If you come over, knock on doors and impress a firm enough that they get an LMIA to employ you, then you have a much better chance of being at a good company.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

newmercman:
Here’s the thing, there is a stark contrast between a company that has LMIA in place and actively recruits from overseas than a company that gets an LMIA because they have a specific driver from overseas that they want to employ.

If you attend a seminar in your home country, or apply through an advert in Truckstop News, then you’re going to end up at a bottom feeder.

If you come over, knock on doors and impress a firm enough that they get an LMIA to employ you, then you have a much better chance of being at a good company.

newmercman is correct, the best thing is to knock on some doors. companies that cant recruit driver who is already in canada and recruiting overseas isnt the best companies, i learned it on my skin.

bullitt:

newmercman:
…12 days and not one comment or PM, seems that people are not as keen to come to Canada as they say they are…

Hi Mark, hope things still going well for you over there. Have you got your third truck yet? I think that if the vote goes the wrong way on 23rd June then there may well be a big rush to get out of the UK…me being one of them!! :open_mouth: :wink:
Canada would be the obvious choice as its the only country that is predominantly English speaking, seems to share the same common values as the UK and you can still get in! Australia, NZ and The States are all no entries.

Hello Rik, no third one for me, I’m seriously thinking about selling the two I’ve got, getting rid of the house and cars and moving to a beach hut where I can sell watermelons and coconuts until retirement [emoji1]

How’s things with you mate, have the recent cuts affected your snooker playing much?

Hello Mark, im out of the “snooker club” now mate :laughing: Run a small business with the missus. Still have itchy feet though, but I wouldn’t go back driving full time, especially around Europe. From what I see and read on here the job is totally (zb). No where near as good (fun!) when I was doing it through the 80s and 90s.

I like your idea of selling up everything and moving to a beach hut! I thought about doing that about 6 years ago and moving to one of the Greek islands. Now looking at the state they`re in, thank (zb) I didn’t!! :open_mouth:

You did the right thing getting into Canada. There will be war in Europe within the next 10-15 years, the place is a powder keg what with the influx (invasion) of Muslim “immigrants” and the self serving attitude of those supposedly running the show who turn a blind eye as long as they can still get their perks, pensions and salaries.

I hear you mate, I read about the crap that drivers have to endure and thank my lucky stars I don’t have to deal with it, over zealous Police in Europe, the migrant crisis, all the health and safety nonsense, it would send me over the cam and I would probably end up inside!

As for the politicians, the current lot are under constant scrutiny from the Internet, yet they carry on stuffing their snouts in the trough regardless, it’s beyond my comprehension how there hasn’t been an uprising and things are going to get a lot worse when the vote to stay in the EU is cast, then even more EU directives will be forced on Britain and there will be no going back.

I’m so glad I’m out of it, moving here has turned out to be such a good decision, I just wish they would stop putting plastic cheese on everything!

Sent from my SM-T805W using Tapatalk