Canada

I’ve been thinking about possibly relocating to Canada and have a couple of general questions aimed at those who have made the move and stuck with it.

1. What are the reasons that companies are struggling to get drivers from within their own country?.

2. For those of you that have relocated full time, would you say you are better off having made the move and if so, how?.

I’m really after the opinions of those that have relocated with their families and are staying for the foreseeable future.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Neilf

It’s because they actually pay rubbish wages. by the mile and nothing for sitting around for sometimes days waiting for a load, away from home for weeks on end… Thats why :exclamation:
(it’s just the same south of the border too).

Canada is a strange place, in the east they all speak French and from what I gather the rest speaks Welsh … or very soon will do :laughing:

There is a driver shortage for one reason, youngsters do not want to spend their working lives away from their family and friends, living in a little box, eating crap food and paying through the nose for it. The same applies in every civilised country in the World (it would be the same in Britain if the Eastern Europeans weren’t there) That is the reason for driver shortages, no new blood :bulb:

However, if you’re stupid enough to already be a lorry driver, Canada can be a good place, just depends what you want/expect from life. If you can come here with a bit of money, you can set yourself up and have a good life, if you come over with SFA you can get on the property ladder & get a decent car a bit easier than you could in Britain, but everything else (money wise) is about the same :wink:

I reckoned as much regarding the driver shortage but it doesn’t hurt to ask just in case there are specific problems for a particular country.

With the current situation in the UK I would definately consider relocating but it would only be worthwhile if gave a better quality of life for my family.

I have been in touch with a small Manitoba based haulier who seem keen to help me but I think I will have to do a little more research.

Thanks for the advice and PMs already given, any more input would be appreciated.

Cheers
Neilf

Make sure you like cold winters lol its only just started over here and snow falling chains needed in some areas and lowest I’ve seen so far is -9 :slight_smile: part from that its great so far lol

went over in jan 2012 to Moncton New Brunswick.flew into Halifax and was offered a green card there and then even though i was only visiting they even offerd my lad one too. temp was on average -14 by day falling to -20 / -40 at night.
snowed everyday (well almost) they have a better way of dealing with snow… they clear it :smiley: spent a week on the road with a friend going down to Boston and to be honest I’d be off tommorrow if i didnt have comitments here.
truck stops clean an freindly etc… roads wide and mostly clean of the carp you find over here.

1st off do your recearch.
do as much prep work in the uk as you can.
if your still gonna go out there’s a lot of things you can do for yourself. read up as much as you can (lots of free to read o the net) ie open bank account and change your UK diving licence to a canadian car licence, find a training school some have accomodation they can put you up in. you’ll need transport to get around there are auctions that you can pick up quite a cheap car / truck.
There are companys that pay salery so even parked up you get paid but the rates can be lower than by the mile.
like the uk companys want their $ worth of sweat.
Medical Insurance is a must before you go. the cost of living aint cheap as everything has to be shipped in canada dont realy grow anythig apart from Trees

nick2008:
went over in jan 2012 to Moncton New Brunswick.flew into Halifax and was offered a green card there and then even though i was only visiting they even offerd my lad one too. temp was on average -14 by day falling to -20 / -40 at night.
snowed everyday (well almost) they have a better way of dealing with snow… they clear it :smiley: spent a week on the road with a friend going down to Boston and to be honest I’d be off tommorrow if i didnt have comitments here.
truck stops clean an freindly etc… roads wide and mostly clean of the carp you find over here.

if your still gonna go out there’s a lot of things you can do for yourself. read up as much as you can (lots of free to read o the net) ie open bank account and change your UK diving licence to a canadian car licence, find a training school some have accomodation they can put you up in. you’ll need transport to get around there are auctions that you can pick up quite a cheap car / truck.
There are companys that pay salery so even parked up you get paid but the rates can be lower than by the mile.
Medical Insurance is a must before you go. the cost of living aint cheap as everything has to be shipped in canada dont realy grow anythig apart from Trees

To get a job you need a work permit and you not get one of them unless you have a job offer in your hand!! To change for Canadian class 1 you also have to hand UK one in at the local registary office where you are giving a temp operators liecnece which allows you to take lessons which some companies have a regular driving school, as for medical stuff you can join the province program which covers you at work so there fore not a must o not to forget the clean APCO check you gotta have before you consider the rest

A ‘Green card’ is a US residency permit and nothing to do with Canada, so if someone actually did offer you one is was a set up, believe me, it took me a year living here to get one.
Niether you ar our friend Taffy there have not yet experienced the winter, just wait till every day and night for months is well into the minus 30’s f. As Taffy will no doubt agree it’s not much of a family life.

taffytrucker:

nick2008:

To get a job you need a work permit and you not get one of them unless you have a job offer in your hand!! To change for Canadian class 1 you also have to hand UK one in at the local registary office where you are giving a temp operators liecnece which allows you to take lessons which some companies have a regular driving school, as for medical stuff you can join the province program which covers you at work so there fore not a must o not to forget the clean APCO check you gotta have before you consider the rest

Ok I used the wording Green card being a work permit hands up couldnt think of the wording at the time…I was offered at my point of entry at passport control when the officer went through my purpose of visit. unless that was his ploy of seeing if i was only going fr a visit or actually looking for work. I did say change ur uk licence for a canadian CAR licence.Was told you cant get on the province program untill you start working ■■

Pat Hasler:
A ‘Green card’ is a US residency permit and nothing to do with Canada, so if someone actually did offer you one is was a set up, believe me, it took me a year living here to get one.
Niether you ar our friend Taffy there have not yet experienced the winter, just wait till every day and night for months is well into the minus 30’s f. As Taffy will no doubt agree it’s not much of a family life.

As said Pat i used the wrong wording ( green card)… I agree i didnt experiance the true winter and 12days in Cn was as i said a break. For a family it’ll be hard depending where your gonna live because no-one goes out when its so blummin cold :laughing:

You need a job offer with an lmo to receive a work permit at the airport. It is also technically illegal to come to Canada solely to go job hunting and you could be refused entry if you told immigration that was what you are here for. However a holiday where you just happen to drop in at some transport company’s is different.
The medical thing varies from province to province I believe. Some you are covered imeaditly others there is a three month wait but you can take out a policy with your local insurance agent fairly cheaply to cover that time.

When you hand your licence in the car one is a straight swap but in Manitoba anyway you need a work permit to prove you have the right to be in Canada and a proof of address.

Sort of, Kev. You need not swap your licence right away. Your uk class 1 is accepted as a Canadian learners permit and the car licence is valid 90 days. You can do your class 1 writtens on the uk licence.

There is a way of getting your class 1 without having a job offer. Because the visitor visa is 6 months, but your driving licence is only valid 90 days, a bank statement and tenancy agreement is usually accepted for you to take the test.

Don’t know if its changed slightly but when I came over first time I tried to do writtens but mpi wouldn’t let me without a mb licence which I needed a work permit to get.

You need your writtens done to go for the Manitoba licence. Dan did his test less than a year ago then went for a job.