Manitoba

Hello folks!

Hope all is well with everyone and everyone had a good Easter celebration! Just posting as a bit of a random question as I used to look into this a lot when i was younger and often tried running before you could walk and all that :laughing:

To put a long story short, Ive wanted to move to Canada since i was about 13/14 ironically when i joined here. And well obviously as I was younger i had a good 5-8/9 years to wait before I could look into it! Now though as I’m a little older and a little more wiser (i hope!) am currently doing my Cat C license so obviously a bit off the ‘countdown’ yet but im nearly at the start line :slight_smile:

I want to move to Manitoba as the company I know hire drivers from overseas pull flat beds and I like the colour of the trucks as weird as that sounds :smiley: I understand companies who hire abroad obviously do so because they have problems hiring and keeping drivers in their part of the world but that’s no bother to me.

I’m just wondering how much experience on artics is needed before you can apply to move over and how much £$£? Would be recommended to take with you? Sorry to be a pain and ask questions that have probably been asked before but i like to ask directly and get direct answers so to speak :slight_smile: I can remember bits and bats of stuff i read when i was younger as I was a bit over enthusiastic but I know things change constantly so its so im up to date with everything :slight_smile:

Also any advice etc would be good :slight_smile: Apart from the don’t do it crew as I doubt I’ll pay much attention. All about the adventure, rather say I tried and failed than not try at all :smiley:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Hello mate, I’m only a year further down the road than yourself having passed my tests last may.
Experience wise, lots of companies want 2-3 years but there are some that will take you on with less than 1 year. I think the problem may be that LMOs are a bit harder to get nowadays.
Only you will know if a move to canada is really for you. If you have family going with you then it’s a LOT to consider but if your going on your own then go all out!what have you got to lose? (Apart from steady uk job, all your equity in your house, etc etc!!)
Money wise, depends on the above really
I’m looking to go out to AB in July with missus and 12 year old so looking to take $15-20k
Never been to manitoba though so can’t offer any tips there, good luck with it all and to be honest, I’d drive a luminous pink truck if the company was decent rather than a cool truck for a shoddy firm :wink:

Awesome, ill be moving on my own :slight_smile: its all about the adventure for me. Ive no house (live with parents) no kids and no ties. :slight_smile: i gathered it would be about 2 years experience id need. I sort of want to get over there whilst the iron is hot so to speak :slight_smile:Be one of the youngest to move over and hopefully be successful. It became almost an obsession when I was younger but has since mellowed out a bit! But the passion for wanting to be there is often overwhelming.

As for driving a pink truck i take it your on for robinsons or Worcester? :stuck_out_tongue: Id rather have a decent employer over a fancy lorry but as most seem to have their pitfalls but some better in their own ways. We’ll see :smiley:

Cheers

Searcy or Big Freight ? Must be the former , nobody could think a puke green T800 looks good :laughing:

Wants to move to Canada because likes colour of trucks…

Right. OK. That will definitely end well. :laughing:

Don’t think the OP quite fully understands what conditions can be like at certain times of the year , in a very well used truck , in the middle of nothing without a cell signal .
He’s been on here long enough that should he be serious the regulars will guide him in the correct direction . Can’t knock the enthusiasm , Manitoba is a weird choice though :laughing: :laughing: .

flat to the mat:
Don’t think the OP quite fully understands what conditions can be like at certain times of the year , in a very well used truck , in the middle of nothing without a cell signal .
He’s been on here long enough that should he be serious the regulars will guide him in the correct direction . Can’t knock the enthusiasm , Manitoba is a weird choice though :laughing: :laughing: .

None of that important FTTM. Colour of trucks important, rest not. :slight_smile:

:unamused:
Thankfully I have had a good response from this thread having been given a wealth of information that has helped me no end and will help me in time to come :slight_smile:

I want to move to Canada for many reasons…have done since I was about 13, I like to drive which in Canada and the US you get to do a lot of, I’m often fascinated by the trucks over there with the size of the trucks. If anyone here knew me would know I’ve wanted to move to Canada for years as i often saw it as a massive adventure and I like to travel a lot and well with it being my chosen career path of being a driver its what I’ve wanted to do when I was a lad and somewhat grown into an obsession. And when I found out about where driving could get you it gave more doors for me to open :slight_smile: Plus its a good life experience if anything else.

Obviously I cant quite know what the conditions are like until I’m out there but like anything grin and bear with it, and take all advice into account and use it the best i can. Asking the questions I think I need to ask? But obviously you’ll get situations as bad anywhere you go and need to ask if you could cope in a situation like that, in my opinion yes.

I’ve read in the past the stories of the endless crap people have had to put up with at these companies and it still hasn’t put me off wanting to go. As I said in the OP companies obviously recruit abroad for a reason and not a very good one but out of everything Ive read BF imo seems like the best option…and yes I do like the colour of the trucks :laughing: but that’s just my opinion I like stuff that stands out :slight_smile:

Also in my OP i said i did often try to run before i could walk when i was younger i possibly still am, but im in a position where im getting to the point where i can set off running and ill either hit the pavement hard or ill keep on going. Which is why im asking the questions now so hopefully i can keep going :slight_smile:

Cheers

To be honest you should first pass you HGV and get some tarmac down here before thinking about going to Canada or anywhere to drive you might get behind the wheel and come to a massive brick wall about driving for a living ,sat in the passenger side looking out the window is bit diffrent to pulling yourself out of bed on a winters morning to drive 400 miles in this country nevermind overseas, you talk about not running before you can walk but your not even walking and you want to go to Canada to persue a driving career fair play for the get up and go but you need to get things in order.
It may take you 5 years to pass your test and then to gain the experience to be able to get your foot in the door its bad enough in the uk let alone overseas.
One step at a time Jonny like i said you might be looking at this driving lark through rose coloured specs â– â– ?

BIG AW

Hi johnny you will need to firstly get a class 1 over here in the uk,get some exp for a few years.after that save like a dog maybe 5 to 10 grand.apply to the companies who use brits.if they ask you over then you will need the savings to pay flight,hotel and your new hgv license and in between this you will need to go over and have a scout

If green is the color then it is a good choice, it’s about the best firm out there for learning the ropes (or straps :laughing: ) as there is no pressure to get miles (quite the opposite :cry ) so you can go at your own pace. They also plunge the depths of the driver pool, so no matter how much you ■■■■ it up, it won’t be as bad as someone has already done :laughing:

The only thing is…the trucks are now black :open_mouth:

What company are these green trucks that are now black

Does anyone know what sort of miles you can get with Big Freightâ– â– ? I am looking at coming over with them, but just want to make sure I can earn enough with them.

BTW Newcamerman, I have sent you a PM.

Cheers guys.

BF were advertising for drivers working out of their Calgary Terminal for a long time on Kijiji (I haven’t looked recently) for dedicated run to Texas, which makes for good miles.
New trucks & new pay-scale.
BTW, that new colour scheme is about a gazillion times better than that crappy light green.

Cheers Neil, I appreciate that mate. Any more thoughts on Big Freight anybody?

On the money front I came over here just under 2 yrs ago now with about $4500 in my back pocket and found that was enough to start with until the wages started coming in.

To the op, if your younger than 31 you could come over to Canada via the IEC working holiday visa. With this visa you get an open work permit and can then pursue a truck driving career in Canada and save yourself the bother of doing the UK tests. I think you can get two years with this visa, so if you decide trucking’s not for you, you could try a different career path.

HTH

sats72:
To the op, if your younger than 31 you could come over to Canada via the IEC working holiday visa. With this visa you get an open work permit and can then pursue a truck driving career in Canada and save yourself the bother of doing the UK tests. I think you can get two years with this visa, so if you decide trucking’s not for you, you could try a different career path.

HTH

I am and have been told about this visa, which is what I’m probably going yo take up after a few months taking driving over here I’ll move as I believe I would be able to apply for the PNP after that with having 2 years commercial driving experience under my belt :slight_smile: I’ll of only turned 21 in August so a few years to go before i turn 31 yet!

http://www.thefaqtory.ca/BigFreight.html

The new livery is on here which i have to say does look the mutts nutts :slight_smile:

Cheers

sats72:

HTH

The IEC visa is for one year originally then you apply for the second one while you are here and if you want to stay you can apply for PR while here on these visas and I believe you don’t need to be sponsored through the company for PR, you do it through a different stream.