Help moving to canada

Hi guys looking for names of companys in canada who take uk drivers. Ive just had enough of this place it just seems a little bit more every day is taking from us by the goverment. Ive tried to get into euro work but no luck so far, so why not take the plunge. Any info would really help.

Try Siemens

nearly there:
Hi guys looking for names of companys in canada who take uk drivers. Ive just had enough of this place it just seems a little bit more every day is taking from us by the goverment. Ive tried to get into euro work but no luck so far, so why not take the plunge. Any info would really help.

Before applying ask yourself this…
‘Do I want to be out from my home for weeks on end ?’
Do I mind working for miles only pay and sitting around in truck stops for sometimes days waiting for my next load ?’
‘Do I want my wife and kids to leave me ?’
‘Do I like subzero temps and snow up the chuffa for 5 months of the year ?’

then if you don’t mind these apply.

Nothing like putting a possative slant on it Pat :laughing:

Excuse my spelling btw…

Pat Hasler:

nearly there:

Do I mind working for miles only pay and sitting around in truck stops for sometimes days waiting for my next load ?’

Very well put. I’m back in the UK until about March after having being in Canada for almost three years. I obtained permanent residence there last year and have moved jobs twice since trying to find something better but unless you are lucky and get in with a company who keeps you moving you always seem to be banging your head against a brick wall…you’ll get 1000kms a day for monday, tuesday and wednesday, then sit for two days so the week turns to absolute crap. Then after being away for a week, two weeks or even longer, you’ll be expected to be back behind the wheel 36 hours and one minute after you got home (usually before that actually, with re-writing of log books etc).

Canada is good for the experience and adventure but the way you earn your money is out of the ark and the abuses of the employers there are far beyond anything in the UK these days. This week just gone I’ve been away all week “tramping” as its called these days and actually really enjoyed it, especially as I knew when I started work in the morning, I’d earn a garunteed fair wage for the day, regardless of what miles my company decided to give me, or not. There’s a lot to be said for that.

My advice would be to research it as throughly as you possibly can, know everything there is to know about the paperwork side of things, LMO’s, Work Permits, PNP + Permanent resident application process etc and if you do take the plunge get your papers in as soon as you can for PR (Usually 6 months). Nothing worse than being stuck on a work permit with a crap company. You can move companies but then you start from scratch and the authorities take a dim view on immigrant workers chopping and changing so dont do it too often.

Also, it will be far easier to get a job in New Brunswick on the east coast where I am, but unless you want to be treat like an indentured labourer and never see home I’d suggest looking out west at somewhere like Manitoba. Similar pay per mile but many more miles and constant miles as the trips are generally longer and you wont have the hassle and head ache of going down the US eastern seaboard week in - week out. Doing little short one day length journeys with potentially huge amounts of waiting between each leg…remember, as a Canadian trucker, time doesnt equal money, if your company doesn’t move you, you earn sod all and they really couldn’t care less as they are saleried in the office and go home at 5pm while your still sitting in a truck stop in New Jersey wondering if its all worth it and how your gonna manage to pay the bills and support your family if you have one.

If you’re single with no kids then by all means crack on and have a go but if you have a wife / girlfriend and kids then think long and hard because in my experience, especially in NB the ones that come here needing to support a family more often than not can’t do so on the wages they earn and often end up going back to the UK near on bankrupt. Companies here will claim you’ll be earning $1200 per week…if you half that you’ll be more on the mark, and even then that can be for been away 7 days a week. The potential is there to earn very good money, but there isn’t enough constantly flowing work to keep you busy to allow that. Milleage pay is a mugs game and I’ve almost had it with it. I am going back soley because I do like Canada and I have a rented apartment there full of my furniture and things, but if I cant earn a more satisfactory wage then I will definetely be thinking of returning to the UK this October when my lease expires.

Thanks for a honest reply. I was wanting oz but that isnt likely now. Aahh well ive got adr booked maybe things will look up. Thanks guys

fly sheet:
Nothing like putting a possative slant on it Pat :laughing:

if you prepare people for the worst senario they will know what to expect. I know where I would rather be driving a truck and it’s not too far from Towcester. Too late ! I live here now :frowning:

And … I might add that by standards set on this side of the Atlantic I have an amazingly good job, whereas I get a minimum set weekly wage thats about 50% higher than other drivers here have so slog hard for.

nearly there:
Thanks for a honest reply. I was wanting oz but that isnt likely now. Aahh well ive got adr booked maybe things will look up. Thanks guys

If you think its something that you really want to try then by all means look in to it. Just dont make the mistake a sizable majority make and head to Canada with your eyes wide shut, knowing nothing about the immigration system and how your going to progress yourself through it so that you can get the freedom of permanent residence as soon as is absolutely possible.
I arrived in Canada in May 2009 along with about 10 other English drivers and 3 from Ireland. Now, almost three years later,of the ones who are still here, most of us single ones have our PR status, and all baring one of the families do not and cannot afford to even apply. Their situation is soon to be very precarious because current rules state that you can only run temporary work permits for a maximum of four years and if your not in the process of applying for PR by that time, you have to leave Canada (for 4 years I think?). The problem is that these guys dragged their wives and kids across the Atlantic with the most minimal knowledge of Canada and the immigration process with an attitude of ‘it’ll all come together when we get there’ sort of thing. Well it hasn’t.

Do your homework, do it again and then again.

The biggest no no is having any ideas of coming to Canada alone, working here and sending money back to the UK to support a family there for X amount of months or years. I have never yet seen that work, you just dont earn enough for it to convert into enough in sterling to support your family back home. One guy tried that back in 2009 and ended up sending practically 100% of his wages back home to keep up with the mortgage payments and couldnt even afford to buy food while he was away in his truck and for more than a week lived off a rejected box of frozen subway bread that he thawed out. Make of that what you will. Needless to say he was back in the UK within months of arriving.

Biggest mistake made,and you can see it in the first post,"we want to leave Britain"or words to the same effect.Same on another forum for working abroad.
Too many people want out,Oz wont take them so they reckon Canada is the best bet,WRONG !!!
Only move to Canada because you want to,ie not because you want to escape from the hell hole that the UK has become.This is a fantastic country,and as a family we’ve never regretted making the move,but property prices are rising rapidly,the immigration process is becoming harder,it’s not the answer to a lot of peoples prayers.
Don’t get me wrong,this place has an awful lot to offer and we’re reaping the benefits from coming here in many ways,but it’s a life changing scenario and not to be done on a whim.If you don’t do your homework/research,don’t fully commit to making the move it can easily become a very expensive mistake,big time.
Then as a trucker you’ll have to deal with 5 months of ■■■■■■ highways,snow and ice etc,but that’s another tale.Happy days, :smiley:

I agree wi whats written above,if you want to go for it …dont just go wi the first offer frae the big boys there are smaller companies out there that treat you like a human!
yup if you let youself be walked over you will be out for wks on end doing resets on the rd.

send out your cv , to firms that do the work you like,then you will be comfortable ,ie…i looked at multidrop companies ,not full load ,found one that i liked,and with the company i chose …sunday start,at house,thurs/night,frid morning into yard ,only spent 2wkends out in 2.5yrs,other drivers took longer runs ie california,texas but i figured out 12drops,then 5-6 drops home plus 2-2.5k mls,pick up your load for next wk drive home wi outfit was enough for us to live on…once you figure out to maximise your logbook,learn ,the shortcuts (rds lol).
but remember its the same crap just different continents.
jimmy.

robinhood_1984:

Pat Hasler:

nearly there:

Very well put. I’m back in the UK until about March after having being in Canada for almost three years. I obtained permanent residence there last year and have moved jobs twice since trying to find something better but unless you are lucky and get in with a company who keeps you moving you always seem to be banging your head against a brick wall…you’ll get 1000kms a day for monday, tuesday and wednesday, then sit for two days so the week turns to absolute crap. Then after being away for a week, two weeks or even longer, you’ll be expected to be back behind the wheel 36 hours and one minute after you got home (usually before that actually, with re-writing of log books etc).

Well ■■■■ me Robinhood and Pat Hasler talk more ■■■■ about Canada than anyone.

You don’t sit for days on end waiting for loads.
Your not away weeks at a time. Thats your choice nobody elses.
You won’t be forced to have 36hrs off and go to work again. Not unless you work for complete ■■■■■ which clearly you to do seeing as your views on truck driving out here are all negative.

Theres more ■■■■■■■■ on this forum about Canada than you could shake a ■■■■■■■ stick at.

Am I right in thinking after you get permanent residence you can go and do any job you want? Not only hgv driving but you can now work in an office or anything ?

bakerchris:
Am I right in thinking after you get permanent residence you can go and do any job you want? Not only hgv driving but you can now work in an office or anything ?

Yes,once PR is gained you are free to do whatever you want :smiley:

clyde:

robinhood_1984:

Pat Hasler:

nearly there:

Well [zb] me Robinhood and Pat Hasler talk more [zb] about Canada than anyone.

You won’t be forced to have 36hrs off and go to work again. Not unless you work for complete [zb] which clearly you to do seeing as your views on truck driving out here are all negative.

Theres more [zb] on this forum about Canada than you could shake a [zb] stick at.

Who do you work for Clyde?
Do you have PR?

does anyone have anything good to say lol, my family and i would also really love to move to canada but have no idea where to start, I have a HGV class 1 licence and am looking into working in that trade over their if it is a trade! any help would be great, thanks

mickfly:

clyde:

robinhood_1984:

Pat Hasler:

nearly there:

You won’t be forced to have 36hrs off and go to work again. Not unless you work for complete [zb] which clearly you to do seeing as your views on truck driving out here are all negative.

Theres more [zb] on this forum about Canada than you could shake a [zb] stick at.

Do you have PR?

Do I have PR? Yes. Have had for over 4years. Who i work for? Paul Brandt… I find it amusing that people who live here slate it so much, if they don’t like it why not ■■■■ off back to England? Or can’t these people do that because they are failures there too!

Never slate the place Clyde,love the life and the opportunities.Just trying to warn some people who maybe think place will be the answer to all their dreams,eyes wide open etc.

clyde:

mickfly:

clyde:

robinhood_1984:

Pat Hasler:

nearly there:

Do you have PR?

Do I have PR? Yes. Have had for over 4years. Who i work for? Paul Brandt… I find it amusing that people who live here slate it so much, if they don’t like it why not [zb] off back to England? Or can’t these people do that because they are failures there too!

Clyde, you are working for a decent firm, that does not give you an insight to the really crap firms who recruit from abroad.
I ‘worked’ for H&R for 5 months, and slated them when I returned to the UK. I was called a loser etc, but have returned to a decent Canadian firm, which does not compare in any way to the Lethbridge Mafia!
I understand your dismay when people slag Canada off… but I usually see them slagging off companies, not the country.
Yo should be ashamed calling people failures without having experienced a truly crap company first.

mickfly:

clyde:

mickfly:

clyde:

robinhood_1984:

Pat Hasler:

nearly there:

Do you have PR?

Do I have PR? Yes. Have had for over 4years. Who i work for? Paul Brandt… I find it amusing that people who live here slate it so much, if they don’t like it why not [zb] off back to England? Or can’t these people do that because they are failures there too!

Clyde, you are working for a decent firm, that does not give you an insight to the really crap firms who recruit from abroad.
I ‘worked’ for H&R for 5 months, and slated them when I returned to the UK. I was called a loser etc, but have returned to a decent Canadian firm, which does not compare in any way to the Lethbridge Mafia!
I understand your dismay when people slag Canada off… but I usually see them slagging off companies, not the country.
Yo should be ashamed calling people failures without having experienced a truly crap company first.

Ashamed? I don’t think so. I don’t have an insight into crap firms? Ok if that’s what you think carry on. I’ll let all the Brits carry on making out your all heroes who do hard work and are never home and sit for days waiting for loads. I just wish someday I can be so superior like most of the people on here.