John wragg from hunwick

Mysterron:
You know I worked for your Granda about 73/74. I can remember Neil Turnock, the late Micky Stewart, Graham from Sunnybrow, your Uncle Stephen, and who was that guy who used to repair the wagons, Gordon or something. Ha-Ha. I can recall an old bloke called Charlie who used to sort the timber out. Teddy was the signwriter and Brenda used to do the wages. Arthur Graham had something to do with arranging loads etc. Let’s hear all them stories, will catch up with you one of these days. Ronnie.

hi ron its ted not teddy that upsets him
the guy who sorted the timber i think was morris lazemby he had a son called charlie , morris was big mates with my grandad and used to appear every night at about 530 after work and tea and saw wood , always taking enough home for the fire , top bloke . think his proper job was joiner for the council .
i can just remember author working for me grandad and can remember him me dad and granda in the kitchen talking about wich truck they were going to buy either volvof88 or scania 110 super as you no they went for the latter ,
was chatting to me dad about you the other day and he was telling me he was south bound on m5 you and steven were north bound , in those days trucks were not allowed in the outside lane he said steven was in the outside lane overtaking and you were flat out up the hard shoulder true or could you add to this lol.
think neil went to durrans and ran the tanks out of pulverite . graeme i can remeber but not his second name . do you remember alan howarth , davey mickelthwaite

this was taken at westend hunwick the old yard

this to west end hunwick

no photo this time but one of the many memories i have of my grandad
i was about 25 and had been running a concrete mixer on a owner driver basis for tarmac topmix . good job when the work was there . it as at the time they were building the tees barrage and there was a lot of work 24hrs a day if you were up for it .
day after starting at 3 am delivering mortar . the gear box went on the mixer drum , so it was back to westend garage for quick repairs . after ariving back at west end and speaking to tarmac they located a new box at featherstone yorkshire near ponty .
so it was in the car and down to featherstone to collect and striaght back to west end . while i had been gone my granda had lit the fire in the garage .a big round affair . any body who went to west end will have seen and remembered it . he also had set a block and tackle up to lift the drum .
then it was in the house for tea or supper as it was now around 1030pm . my gran had made a dinner . awesome food me gran cooked .
back to the garage and after 5 hours of work my grandad being there all night with me . keeping the fire going . working the block and tackle , and also several cups of tea made by my gran .
does nt sound much but for a man of nearly 70 i think it was a really nice thing to do .
when i started my business in 91 my granda was so happy and very proud .

woolyback:

Mysterron:
You know I worked for your Granda about 73/74. I can remember Neil Turnock, the late Micky Stewart, Graham from Sunnybrow, your Uncle Stephen, and who was that guy who used to repair the wagons, Gordon or something. Ha-Ha. I can recall an old bloke called Charlie who used to sort the timber out. Teddy was the signwriter and Brenda used to do the wages. Arthur Graham had something to do with arranging loads etc. Let’s hear all them stories, will catch up with you one of these days. Ronnie.

the guy who sorted the timber i think was morris lazemby he had a son called charlie , morris was big mates with my grandad and used to appear every night at about 530 after work and tea and saw wood , always taking enough home for the fire , top bloke . think his proper job was joiner for the council .
i can just remember author working for me grandad and can remember him me dad and granda in the kitchen talking about wich truck they were going to buy either volvof88 or scania 110 super as you no they went for the latter ,
was chatting to me dad about you the other day and he was telling me he was south bound on m5 you and steven were north bound , in those days trucks were not allowed in the outside lane he said steven was in the outside lane overtaking and you were flat out up the hard shoulder true or could you add to this lol.
think neil went to durrans and ran the tanks out of pulverite . graeme i can remeber but not his second name . do you remember alan howarth , davey mickelthwaite

Brian, I couldn’t possibly admit to doing such a manouvre and I’m sure Uncle Stephen would say the same. The right decision was made in going for the Scania 110 over the Volvo F88. Very little, if any, other H.G.V.'s passed us and VUP (mine) was marginally quicker than AUP (Uncle Stephen’s). Then again it could be down to me being a better driver than him. Ha-Ha. Catch up with you soon, Ronnie.

Mysterron:

woolyback:

Mysterron:

Brian, I couldn’t possibly admit to doing such a manouvre and I’m sure Uncle Stephen would say the same. The right decision was made in going for the Scania 110 over the Volvo F88. Very little, if any, other H.G.V.'s passed us and VUP (mine) was marginally quicker than AUP (Uncle Stephen’s). Then again it could be down to me being a better driver than him. Ha-Ha. Catch up with you soon, Ronnie.

come on ronnie you must ave some stories to tell about back then !!

woolyback:
Heres one of the man himself me my brother granda and sister ,
the truck guy invicible and i think the photo is about 1969[/qut
think this was the same day

bains on shovel.jpg

About time you posted (NEVERATHOME). Let’s have some of them photo’s uploaded.

One of the first memories i have with me grandad was b going to collect a diff or range change in the midlands . was a saturday , can remember that as no school . i must have been about 10 or 11.
any how we drove in the car to the midlands and collected the rangechange or gearbox ?,
we were on way home when my granda said were on the m6 north and wee need to be on the m1 north . i said we could go straight up to tbay and over a66 , he said that he had herd my dad say that it was 30mins longer that way . so not having a map my granda decided to come of the m6 saying the m1 was over to hour right and that for every left turn we did we should do a right , the thinking being that we should end up on m1 . after about a hour to 45mins of this we came onto m6 at same place we went of at , very very funny at the time can remember me granda saying . well ya bugger .lol.

eventually m62 a1 to home and after comming of the a1 at barton and going the back way threw piercbridge. my grandad was telling me of how you could drive from birmingham to hunwick and when you were in birmingham weather was fine and not cold . but as it goes dark as it was the temp drops and the roads can become icey . just as he said it we started to spin in the car at the bad corner going into pierce bridge . after a full circle and bring the car under control he said , see what i mean .
happy days

this is a picture of one of the scanias my grandad ran

the same truck in the middle of the ones i run now . seen the size of the lb i used to think i was huge when i was younger and still did till we put them together like this

when i was around 18 19 i used to drive a 7.5 tonner for my dad . on a weekend sometime used to sleep in the truck at my grandas . never under stood this there was always a bed at me grans or home not half a mile away .

when this happened and my granda herd me climbing in the truck slightly worse for wear . he would always come and make me have coffee or tea and usually some of my grans cake , then back to bed . the next morning he would wake me with bacon sarney and tea . then he would take me home .

spent loads of hours helping me granda .

when eventually years later i had started my owe business i used to collect slab wood for his saw mill ,
one time i loaded some from a saw mill at a place called Liviton mine , heaped up as much on as possible . it was niot bad to carry . as long as you checked your strapes after a few moles .
loading early one saturday morning with a borrowed trl from andrew hunt who was then a traffic manager for Econofrieght and a good friend . back to west end to unload . i would back the trl to as close to the stick house as possible , drop and leave till unloaded . my grandads favourite trick so funny now but not at the time would be to go along the sides cutting the bands on the bundle wich let the slab wood fall over the side , this was a quick way of unloading but usually buried the trl

the amount of back lights i nocked of was alot . my granda always saying well ya bugger i never saw that

woolyback:

Hi how many did your grandad run as before my time every time I see this always reminds me of the Day Cab 111 Arfur and Ian used to run before it got sprayed Blue one saturday afternoon by Arfur.

TTB:

woolyback:

Hi how many did your grandad run as before my time every time I see this always reminds me of the Day Cab 111 Arfur and Ian used to run before it got sprayed Blue one saturday afternoon by Arfur.

got up to about 10 at one point . dont no for sure will ask me dad you on about arfer featherstone and ian ■■?

woolyback:

TTB:

woolyback:

got up to about 10 at one point . dont no for sure will ask me dad you on about arfer featherstone and ian ■■?

Yes thats them Ian and Arfur two nice blokes I can remember you Grandad used to come down in pale blue Fiat/Iveco 7.5 tonne flat wagon to Toronto. I went to Hunwck with Arfur for a ride one day to drop a load of wood off its that long ago we were in the B reg 112 and i think one of John James Wagons was parked in your place it was a M.A,N unit

theres a one i had from a few years back

TTB:

woolyback:

TTB:

woolyback:

Yes thats them Ian and Arfur two nice blokes I can remember you Grandad used to come down in pale blue Fiat/Iveco 7.5 tonne flat wagon to Toronto. I went to Hunwck with Arfur for a ride one day to drop a load of wood off its that long ago we were in the B reg 112 and i think one of John James Wagons was parked in your place it was a M.A,N unit

bloody hell john james man thats a while ago fella , do i no you ■■.

getting back to arfer and ian , had the privlage of both of them a few weeks back . ian had bought an old bedford down in kent and asked me to fetch it for him . we brought it back and after a service and a play mainly by my dad as it was the first wagon he drove legally on the road .
it was taken by my dad and arfer to the truck museam at shildon arther was in the office a couple of hours .
the b reg scania he still owns

marcy:
theres a one i had from a few years back

2005 barney castle the top liners mine , its the year i had accident

No I dont think I know you as for Ian he has had lots of old Wagon i have some pictures some where of them in the corner of the yard along with the Seddon Diesel Tow truck if I remember correctly Ian had a Fire engine but that long ago now not too sure he once showed me some pictures of him loading a old wagon and had no ramps so piled some sleepers up and drove the wagon up them.As I say I like Ian and Arfur a lot the 112 was the first wagon I ever went in Arfur took me to the test centre and once it was tested we went to perstop to load it up

woolyback:

TTB:

woolyback:

TTB:

woolyback:

bloody hell john james man thats a while ago fella , do i no you ■■.

getting back to arfer and ian , had the privlage of both of them a few weeks back . ian had bought an old bedford down in kent and asked me to fetch it for him . we brought it back and after a service and a play mainly by my dad as it was the first wagon he drove legally on the road .
by the way the fait i drove for my dad when i first started driving , awesome piece of machinery

it was taken by my dad and arfer to the truck museam at shildon arther was in the office a couple of hours .
the b reg scania he still owns