Old Workmates

Heres one for the oldies (like me) does anyone know of any of the (to many to mention) ex drivers from Appleton Haulage of Formby in the seventies :question: :question:

Here are some names that spring to mind such as Albie Keegan, Lenny Tut (from Burscough):?: Tommy (dodgy) Dawson , Aubrey Woodhead, Martin (cleggy) Clague, Dave (■■■■) Dutton, Derek Taylor, Peter Brader, John Quinlan, Dave Shelley,
Sid :question: , Peter Moonhan , John Abrams, and loads more as quite a lot of drivers worked for Duggy Appleton (Doug the Thug) over the years, Davy Farraday (he became an O/D) and last I heard he was on Middle East runs in the late 70,s with his Black Daf 2800 called “Farraday Trucking Co.” :smiley: :smiley: :unamused: :unamused: !

Just wondering what happened to some of them as we had some good times and not so good ones as well :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink: :wink: :blush: :blush: :blush:

I worked with Derek Taylor but not sure if he is the same bloke. He came to us from McCraes Haulage in Ormskirk.

I saw him last driving for Jake Thackery but he did a few years at Huttons of Hull and Barry Reid from Bridlington

It’ll be the same Derek Taylor - he worked at Rawcliffes on general haulage for quite a while - had a white Mk II Jaguar.

I was at school with his eldest son, who emigrated to Australia last year. I believe Derek is now living in the Hull area.

Lennie Tut and Dave Dutton were both from Burscough - Dave went to school with my Dad, along with his elder brother Barry who runs a printing company. I think it was Dave who used to park his wagon in Mill Lane car park in Burscough village, next to the canal bridge.

marky:
It’ll be the same Derek Taylor - he worked at Rawcliffes on general haulage for quite a while - had a white Mk II Jaguar.

I was at school with his eldest son, who emigrated to Australia last year. I believe Derek is now living in the Hull area.

Lennie Tut and Dave Dutton were both from Burscough - Dave went to school with my Dad, along with his elder brother Barry who runs a printing company. I think it was Dave who used to park his wagon in Mill Lane car park in Burscough village, next to the canal bridge.

Thats definately Derek then. I knew he had worked at Rawcliffes. He lives in the village where I was brought up. I will try to make contact with him and point him to these posts.

It was Derek who rescued me in Calais once and gave me a lift back to Auxerre after I got a lift with an Andy Capp driver to draw some money from P&O ferries

Another guy came to us from McCraes called Eddie. He had worked for Heatons before that. He must be well retired now though. He lived in Skem

Yep you are right it is the same Derek Taylor (he now lives in Gilberdyke nr Hull) and now some more info as I am still in touch with Dave Dutton (he lives nr Southport) and Martin (Cleggy) Clague :wink: :wink: :wink:

Here is some more names to mull over as when I posted the last msg. I came up with some more so here goes :blush: :blush: :blush: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Derek (Mothercare) Alker, Derek (Pixie) Goulding, Jack Doyle, Chris Hassey (sadly now deceased) Peter (The Fishermans friend) :question: Jimmy Ormisher,
Ted (Granny) Gooderson (ex Hagues Burscough & Greenwoods), Kenny Winrow, ■■■■ Rigby, Ian Tinsley, Mike Street , Dave (Dr. Teeeth) Forshaw (don,t know how he got that name), Iain (Mr. Sheen) Meadows (last known was at Ken Abrams), Colin Smith, Stephen Ball (now at Baybutts) Bob (Chat) Chatterton and the list is endless cos the number of drivers who worked for Doug Appleton must run in to treble figures over the years before he closed down :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Merry Xmas and 'A Guid New Year ’ when it come’s, Norman.
The same to everyone else.
Alex

I used to work at appletons in the eighties , was it Sid baker ( supersonic sid ), also peter delanie , malcolm jiles , tommy kendric , also geoff bowles in the office , and in the workshops mac ( bartley macdonald) , geoff hanley , dave shellys boys , phil & mark shelly.

anyone got any photos of the trucks,

I worked for “Doug The Thug” in the 70`s mate (was there 6 years for my sins) and I have asked on other sites if anyone has any photos but sadly no response to the request!

I remember Sid Baker, Peter Delaney, (the fishermans friend), Lenny Sumner, Dave Shelley, Renton the fitter, the late Chris Hassey, Derek Taylor, Aubrey Woodhead, Tommy Wright, John Quinlan, John Abram, ■■■■ Rigby (dicky four feathers), Jimmy Whelan (shop steward), Bob Chatterton, Albie Keegan, Dave Farraday, Martin Clague, Ian Meadows, the late Albert Meadows (Ians dad) Ted Gooderson (Granny Gooderson), Dave Dutton (■■■■) Mike Street, Lenny (I think) Wright from Burscough, Tommy Dawson from Scarisbrick (Dodgy Dawson) now living / running caravan site on the A19 near Doncaster, Ian Tinsley, to mention but a few!

We had some happy nights out in them days in Hull and all round Lincolnshire at Blyth cafe on the A1 at the Blue Star cafe (now long gone) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nej i started at appletons in 1982 as a apprentice worked their for 6 years, i used to love that job , i used to go all over the country mending the trucks. getting one towed back was a no no, me and mac did a engine on a sliproad on the A15 once , their 2 days a guy from a house down the road used to walk his dog and bring us coffee. the police would stop check we where ok then go on there way, could not do that any more. i still see aubrey woodhead he is a good friend of mine also see dave shelly , i could pass your details on to them if you like.