Japanese Government research into AdBlue in the UK

Hello all

I’m Paul Ellis, based in London, conducting research on behalf of the Japanese Ministry of Transport about how AdBlue and other SRC systems are used in the UK transport industry. The Japanese Government is considering introducing regulations similar to Euro 6. dieseldave has kindly allowed me to join this forum to carry out this research.

If you’d like to participate - and I’d be grateful if your would - I’ve pasted a short questionnaire below which should only take a few minutes to answer.

Please either reply here, or PM me. Just give me the question number, your answer, and any additional remarks.

The questionnaire is mostly to do with how drivers react to a low AdBlue warning. If this is not your responsibility and is always handled by Maintenance, please say so, and reply to the questions from that point of view. Names will not be passed on to the Japanese government or to any other body, and this research will not be used for any other purpose.

I’m on a fairly tight deadline: the research is due by the end of this week. If you’d like to know more about this, just ask. I’m happy to engage in discussion. Thank you, all.

Questionnaire:

Your Age:
Years working as a driver:

1. Do you know that there is a function on board your vehicle to remind you to replenish the AdBlue tank when the remaining amount becomes low?

Yes
No

1. Does your company provide you with guidance on handling the AdBlue system?

Yes
No

1. Do you check that your vehicle’s AdBlue tank has enough remaining in it for your planned journey before driving?

i. always check
ii. sometimes check
ii. never check

3a. If you have answered i or ii to Question 3, do you top up before driving if the remaining amount of AdBlue is low?

i always top up
ii sometimes top up
iii never top up

1. Do you carry an emergency bottle of AdBlue with you in your vehicle?

Yes
No

4a. If you answered Yes to Question 4, do you check the remaining amount of AdBlue in your emergency bottle before driving?

i. always check
ii. sometimes check
iii. never check

1. Have you ever seen a warning message or alarm in your vehicle that the AdBlue level is low?

i Yes, frequently
ii Once or twice when the system was new, but not now
iii never

5a. If you have answered i or ii to Question 5, what sort of warning message did you have?

i indicator light
ii symbol display on the dashboard or control panel
iii alarm
iv voice warning

5b. If you receive a warning that the AdBlue level is low, when do you think you should top it up?

i straight away, using your emergency bottle
ii drive to the next service station and top up
iii top up on returning to the depot

5c. If you receive a warning and then top up the AdBlue yourself, when would you do it?

iv other: please specify

1. Have you ever had an engine torque limitation because the AdBlue ran out while driving?

Yes
No

6a. If you answered Yes to Question 6, what was your maximum speed reduced to?

6b. When did you think you should top up the AdBlue after the torque or speed limitation was reached?

ii at the next service station
iii on returning to the depot

6c. When did you actually top up the AdBlue after the torque or speed limitation was reached?

6d. Were you alarmed when the torque/speed limitation activated?

i yes
ii a bit
iii not really
iv no

6e. Did you feel that your vehicle was disrupting the traffic?

Yes
No

6f. Did you feel an increased danger of accident, e.g. being bumped into by another vehicle from the rear?

Yes
No

1. Has your vehicle ever slowed down to the limiting speed of around 12mph because the AdBlue ran out while driving?

Yes
No

7a. When did you think you should top up the AdBlue after the torque or speed limitation was reached?

7b. When did you actually top up the AdBlue after the torque or speed limitation was reached?

7c. Were you alarmed when the torque/speed limitation activated?

i yes
ii a bit
iii not really
iv no

7d. Did you feel that your vehicle was disrupting the traffic?

Yes
No

7e. Did you feel an increased danger of accident, e.g. being bumped into by another vehicle from the rear?

Yes
No

1. Have you ever had an AdBlue alarm for any reason other than low remaining quantity, such as a false alarm? If so, please describe the situation.

==========================

Post OK’ed by dd and stickied for one week.

Please answer sensibly, otherwise you are kindly invited to jog on. :wink:

Your Age:47
Years working as a driver:19

1. Do you know that there is a function on board your vehicle to remind you to replenish the AdBlue tank when the remaining amount becomes low?

Yes

Yes

1. Do you check that your vehicle’s AdBlue tank has enough remaining in it for your planned journey before driving?

i. always check

3a. If you have answered i or ii to Question 3, do you top up before driving if the remaining amount of AdBlue is low?

ii sometimes top up

Yes

4a. If you answered Yes to Question 4, do you check the remaining amount of AdBlue in your emergency bottle before driving?

i. always check

1. Have you ever seen a warning message or alarm in your vehicle that the AdBlue level is low?

5a. If you have answered i or ii to Question 5, what sort of warning message did you have?

5b. If you receive a warning that the AdBlue level is low, when do you think you should top it up?

5c. If you receive a warning and then top up the AdBlue yourself, when would you do it?

iv other: please specify - next safe stop on route with emergency bottle

1. Have you ever had an engine torque limitation because the AdBlue ran out while driving?

No

hope that helps

JapGov:
Questionnaire:

Your Age:41
Years working as a driver:4

Yes
No

Yes
No

i. always check
ii. sometimes check
ii. never check

i always top up
ii sometimes top up
iii never top up

Yes
No

i. always check
ii. sometimes check
iii. never check

i Yes, frequently
iii never

i indicator light
iii alarm
iv voice warning

Yes
No

6b. When did you think you should top up the AdBlue after the torque or speed limitation was reached?

6c. When did you actually top up the AdBlue after the torque or speed limitation was reached?

i yes
ii a bit
iii not really
iv no

Yes
No

6f. Did you feel an increased danger of accident, e.g. being bumped into by another vehicle from the rear?

Yes
No

1. Has your vehicle ever slowed down to the limiting speed of around 12mph because the AdBlue ran out while driving?

Yes
No

7a. When did you think you should top up the AdBlue after the torque or speed limitation was reached?

7b. When did you actually top up the AdBlue after the torque or speed limitation was reached?

i yes
ii a bit
iii not really
iv no

Yes
No

7e. Did you feel an increased danger of accident, e.g. being bumped into by another vehicle from the rear?

Yes
No

1. Have you ever had an AdBlue alarm for any reason other than low remaining quantity, such as a false alarm? If so, please describe the situation.

No such problem. Our company policy is to fill the adblue tank at the end of each shift. Adblue level is part of our daily checks at the start of each shift.

I’ve left blank the questions which don’t apply.

Questionnaire:

Your Age: 40

Yes

Yes

i. always check

i always top up

Yes

N/A

i Yes, frequently

Adblue gauge level on level meter or in on pard computer dependant on truck and warning on info screen when too low on most trucks.

2 or 3 we have adblue on site in 4000 litres with a pump.

As above.

Yes

No power issues or top speed issues but message shown reduced power.

iv no

Yes

Yes

No

No

Too many questions asking the same thing over again section 7 onwards.

JapGov:
Hello all

I’m Paul Ellis, based in London, conducting research on behalf of the Japanese Ministry of Transport about how AdBlue and other SRC systems are used in the UK transport industry. The Japanese Government is considering introducing regulations similar to Euro 6. dieseldave has kindly allowed me to join this forum to carry out this research.

If you’d like to participate - and I’d be grateful if your would - I’ve pasted a short questionnaire below which should only take a few minutes to answer.

Please either reply here, or PM me. Just give me the question number, your answer, and any additional remarks.

The questionnaire is mostly to do with how drivers react to a low AdBlue warning. If this is not your responsibility and is always handled by Maintenance, please say so, and reply to the questions from that point of view. Names will not be passed on to the Japanese government or to any other body, and this research will not be used for any other purpose.

I’m on a fairly tight deadline: the research is due by the end of this week. If you’d like to know more about this, just ask. I’m happy to engage in discussion. Thank you, all.

Questionnaire:

Your Age:

Yes
No

Yes
No

i. always check
ii. sometimes check
ii. never check

i always top up
ii sometimes top up
iii never top up

Yes
No

i. always check
ii. sometimes check
iii. never check

i Yes, frequently
iii never

i indicator light
iii alarm
iv voice warning

Yes
No

i yes
ii a bit
iii not really
iv no

Yes
No

Yes
No

Yes
No

i yes
ii a bit
iii not really
iv no

Yes
No

Yes
No

Why drivers need know everything about ad blue.Same diesel drivers need just check level and go.If drivers have at least 1/2 of tank that this is enough for one shift definetily.

“Too many questions asking the same thing over again section 7 onwards.”

I know, but I have a spreadsheet to fill in, which I personally didn’t design. Thanks for the replies so far; they’re really useful.

Age 53

Years driving 30

The answer to all the others is

I have a gauge which shows full or empty, I fill up the adblue when it gets to half a tank,

Simples

JapGov:
Hello all

Questionnaire:

Your Age: Old :confused:
Years working as a driver: Too many :open_mouth:

Yes
No X

Yes
No X

i. always check X
ii. sometimes check
ii. never check

i always top up X
ii sometimes top up
iii never top up

Yes
No X

i. always check
ii. sometimes check
iii. never check

i Yes, frequently
ii Once or twice when the system was new, but not now X
iii never

i indicator light
ii symbol display on the dashboard or control panel X
iii alarm
iv voice warning

… Would depend on where I am. All answers could apply…

… see previous…

Yes
No X

i yes
ii a bit
iii not really
iv no

Yes
No

Yes
No

Yes
No X

i yes
ii a bit
iii not really
iv no

Yes
No

Yes
No

"I have a gauge which shows full or empty, I fill up the adblue when it gets to half a tank,

Simples"

A splendidly practical answer, and thank you for this.

JapGov:
"I have a gauge which shows full or empty, I fill up the adblue when it gets to half a tank,

Simples"

A splendidly practical answer, and thank you for this.

I’m an owner, not a driver, and the above is how things work at our place.

It’s part of the daily vehicle check. There is adblue stored in the warehouse and the vehicles carry a spare with them in case they need it/long journeys abroad. I’ve never been aware of anyone running out.

Age 63
Driving 44years including non HGV

As per biggriffin, fill up when gauge gets to half, or whenever an adblu pump is next to diesel pump. Can go 3 or 4 weeks on a tankful, but carry a spare can just in case. Have never run low.

JapGov:

Questionnaire:

Your Age:50
Years working as a driver:32

YesYes
No

Yes
NoNo

i. always check
ii. sometimes checkYes
ii. never check
dash board guage, similar to fuel guage

i always top upYes
ii sometimes top up
iii never top up

YesYes
No

i. always check
ii. sometimes checkYes
iii. never check
I’m the primary driver off my vehicle, onboard tank + one 10litre drum does a weeks work, ocasionaly don’t need the 10 litres
5. Have you ever seen a warning message or alarm in your vehicle that the AdBlue level is low?

i Yes, frequently
iii never
Only when I’m trying to get complete a week without toping up from spare drum, or other means. Adblue tank at yard

i indicator light
ii symbol display on the dashboard or control panelthis
iii alarm
iv voice warning

Any of the above, depending on how many miles are available according to the gauge, but I wont aloow it to run dry

At the most suitable time to my schedule, and available miles in the tank. Using what supply best suits my needs at the time

Yes
NoNo

i yes
ii a bit
iii not really
iv no

Yes
No

Yes
No

Yes
NoNo

i yes
ii a bit
iii not really
iv no

Yes
No

Yes
No

Only due to a systems failure, sensor fault pump fault

Operators and manufacturers should be encouraged to fit large enough tanks to the vehicle, dependant on the vehicles intended or expected use. A vehicle doing return to base shift patterns may have a smaller tank, it could be topped up regularly at base. A vehicle spending multiple days away from base would be better suited to having a larger adblue tank, cutting the need for carrying spare drum of adblue

biggriffin:
0Age 53

Years driving 30

I have a gauge which shows full or empty, I fill up the adblue when it gets to half a tank,

Simples

As above.
Some early adblue trucks had tanks that were too small. The current ones seem to have reserves enough for a week or two’s work. A gauge similar to a fuel gauge plus maybe a warning light when very low is good.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:

biggriffin:
0Age 53

Years driving 30

Simples

As above.
Some early adblue trucks had tanks that were too small. The current ones seem to have reserves enough for a week or two’s work. A gauge similar to a fuel gauge plus maybe a warning light when very low is good.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses, everyone: they’ve been extremely useful. I hope the Ministry is not too surprised to discover that UK lorries have AdBlue gauges like fuel gauges; that drivers and operators top up AdBlue in a similar way to fuel; and that UK drivers use initiative and judgement when it comes to topping up whilst maintaining schedule, vehicle, and road safety, etc. I’ve hit my deadline now and submitted the research. Thanks once again, and thanks to your mods for allowing this thread.

http://www.mitsubishi-fuso.com/oa/en/press/100720/100720_a.html

MFTBC first incorporated an urea SCR system in its Super Great heavy-duty truck in 2007

[

Questionnaire:

Your Age: 64
Years working as a driver: 43 years

Yes

Yes

i. always check

i always top up

No

N/A

i indicator light

No

N/A

6b. When did you think you should top up the AdBlue after the torque or speed limitation was reach ?

N/A

N/A

6d. Were you alarmed when the torque/speed limitation activated
iv no

N/A

N/A

No

N/A

N/A

N/A

No

No

Yes, DPF filter needed cleaning.

[/quote]

The troll has already been fed though :laughing: