Adblue shortage?

Hi Folks, first post - though I have to admit to some previous lurking! :blush:

This really is a fantastic forum and it’s helped me out on more than one occasion over the years so thanks to everyone who posts.

One of my guys came back to the yard yesterday and said he’d been told by the lady in the fuel station that there is an impending shortage of Adblue nationwide as a large manufacturer has gone bust. I’ve had a little nosy online and cant seem to find anything so I thought I’d ask you fine fellas if you’ve heard anything akin to this? ( I know it’s all rather he said she said, hope I’m not breaking any rules)

So, do I need to start bulk buying Adblue before the supplies dramatically dry up causing a nationwide state of emergency and people take to fighting in the streets over the last few measly tumblers of the stuff? :laughing:

Thanks all!

Sounds more like a price hiking excersize to me.

How much of the stuff do you use a week?
It might be an idea to phone your supplier and ask

peirre:
How much of the stuff do you use a week?

Normally not a huge amount as we only have 6 trucks in the fleet, but we have a large number of hires in at the moment so it’s been flying off the shelf - some of the vans I have hired for the busy season take Adblue too.

I think you might be right about the price hiking exercise but I was intrigued to see if anyone else had heard about this supposed shortage, I don’t want anyone limping back up the A1 on Christmas eve!

Is it worth buying an IBC of the stuff?
You might save some money in the long term especially if your paying forecourt price, phone around for prices from suppliers

I was offered about 30 plastic cans of the stuff in a pub, not sure what it was worth and they didn’t seem to have any ideas either, how much is a five litre can worth?

£10 odd in the BP wigton same place sell 2l bottle to car drivers for similar price

peirre:
You might save some money in the long term especially if your paying forecourt price, phone around for prices from suppliers

Well I’m hoping to convince the company to install a pump when we move site in March, but now that you mention it, IBCs isn’t a bad idea at all!

syramax:
£10 odd in the BP wigton same place sell 2l bottle to car drivers for similar price

:open_mouth: my pickup uses it and i just buy it from the local MAN dealer @ £5 for 10 litres, then again if the public are daft enough to pay those inflated prices let them get on with it

RLP15:

peirre:

Well I’m hoping to convince the company to install a pump when we move site in March, but now that you mention it, IBCs isn’t a bad idea at all!

If you buy an IBC it works out about 26pp litre, its quite a saving

Wheel Nut 3:
I was offered about 30 plastic cans of the stuff in a pub, not sure what it was worth and they didn’t seem to have any ideas either, how much is a five litre can worth?

I paid £13.99 for 10l yesterday.

chaversdad:

RLP15:

peirre:

If you buy an IBC it works out about 26pp litre, its quite a saving

Which is a ■■■■ sight cheaper than £1.39 a litre! :open_mouth:

When i worked at DHL and a local general haulage firm they had yard pumps but this is only a small company so nothing like that here as of yet… I will look at an IBC Peirre thanks

Seems daft not to buy it in ibc’s . You will have saved enough in your 1st 1000l to offset the cost of the pump hose and nozzle.£365 for the ad blue pump kit . .

RLP15:
Hi Folks, first post - though I have to admit to some previous lurking! :blush:

This really is a fantastic forum and it’s helped me out on more than one occasion over the years so thanks to everyone who posts.

One of my guys came back to the yard yesterday and said he’d been told by the lady in the fuel station that there is an impending shortage of Adblue nationwide as a large manufacturer has gone bust. I’ve had a little nosy online and cant seem to find anything so I thought I’d ask you fine fellas if you’ve heard anything akin to this? ( I know it’s all rather he said she said, hope I’m not breaking any rules)

So, do I need to start bulk buying Adblue before the supplies dramatically dry up causing a nationwide state of emergency and people take to fighting in the streets over the last few measly tumblers of the stuff? [emoji38]

Thanks all!

Sounds like an old wives tale.
We sometimes collect it from 2 chemical company’s in ibc and 10 litre drums for a large adblue distribution company and I’ve never heard anything.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just ordered an IBC from Tennants for delivery w/c 2/1/18.

Didn’t seem to be a problem

Sounds like someone’s taking the ■■■■, mate.

RLP15:

peirre:

Or you could use a gravity feed nozzle from the IBC if you have got some way of getting it up high. Even on top of an empty IBC should be high enough.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It surprises me is that it appears that the OP or the company haven’t previously sought out the best price deal for Adblu, it may not be high on the list of consumables but it’s still a cost that should’ve been monitored and the lowest price paid for

I can’t believe you’re buying it at the pump or in 10l containers, get yourself a 1000l IBC and put it atop a stack of pallets and let gravity do the rest.

Don’t really know the pump price of adblue on the forecourt as we have our own supply but Esso the other day was charging 87p a litre at the pump.