Adblue Consumption

Was just wondering if anyone notices their adblue consumption, the Merc I drive drinks about 1gallon per 100miles. Also was speaking to a driver tonight who is “old school” and is adamant he will never put that crap in a truck, it’s nothing to do with him, to quote it was “if a company wants me to drive a motor with adblue, they can fill it”

Am I wrong i my thinking that filling the adblue is no different than fuelling up, infact they’re done at the same time… Plus running with an empty adblue tank is a little naughty.

I tend to find my Stralis drinks considerably more Adblu if I’m running with an empty trailer (or very light load). Although I think 1gallon per 100 miles is probably a little thirsty.

Reading the Actros manual, it says that AdBlue consumption is about 4% of fuel consumption. Worryingly, it also says tha once the engine is run in, oil consumption will be about 0.5% of fuel consumption - so for every 100l of diesel I put in, it will have used about a pint of oil■■?

Our MANs use about 5% and we have small ad-blue tanks which is designed so that if you use half a tank of diesel you also use half a tank of ad-blue.

Well I filled up with AdBlue for the first time ever yesterday and it took 45 litres after 4,000km. Thankfully its a massive tank so it wasn’t even half empty at that point.

Well i dont know the exact consumption but id say my cf uses full tank (60 litres) every 2 weeks that is a night and day man doing about 10,000kms divided by 60 = Is 1 litre every 166kms

Roughly :laughing:

How is availability on ad blue in services nowadays i never notice. Does every service station that has hgv pumps have it?

C10HOO:
Plus running with an empty adblue tank is a little naughty.

The DAF I have will not run without it - this is painful :exclamation:

250120121847.jpg

All euro 5 vehicles with ad blue will limit powerif the tank is empty ,only ones that don’t are the very early versions before NOX sensors where fitted.Same as all EGR vehicles limit power if there is an EGR fault…Ad -blue consumption is variable depending on the work the vehicle does ,with multi drop in city centre for example ,the vehicle will use little if any ad-blue as the exhaust temp never get to where it needs to be for the system to operate…Motorway work will us more ,and generally more if loaded rather than unloaded ,example a loaded truck gets all the temps up to what is required for the system to work .Also ad blue will only be injected when the engine is under load and working hard ie : fully loaded and going up a hill.with foot off throttle going down hill no ad blue will be used

switchlogic:
Well I filled up with AdBlue for the first time ever yesterday and it took 45 litres after 4,000km. Thankfully its a massive tank so it wasn’t even half empty at that point.

Yea but I doubt that engine hardly off tickover yet. :laughing:

I find that on a long run Ad Blue is consumption seems quite low than it catches me out when I’m doing stop start and staying local.

if a company wants me to drive a motor with adblue, they can fill it

More to do with him being a pratt and they come old school and new.

Have not been doing adblue long but current average is 0.46 gallon to 100 miles, this on primary routes running between 25t - 44t with Magnum 500dxi.

C10HOO:
Also was speaking to a driver tonight who is “old school” and is adamant he will never put that crap in a truck, it’s nothing to do with him, to quote it was “if a company wants me to drive a motor with adblue, they can fill it”

Am I wrong i my thinking that filling the adblue is no different than fuelling up, infact they’re done at the same time… Plus running with an empty adblue tank is a little naughty.

These guys normally have plenty to say, about what they will and won’t do, when talking to other drivers, but when some bod comes out of the office they’re as meek as a lamb. Watch them though as they’re also the one that will stab you in the back. :imp:

They are going to (if they haven’t started already) in Ad Blue in cars, I had visions of chaos as drivers fill the tank with all sorts of stuff or put the ad blue into the fuel tank, :open_mouth: but apparently it will be a service item and will done by the dealer, no doubt with a hell of a mark up and probably an hours labour on top. :smiley:

ive done 4000k’s before now and the light just came on when i got back to the yard.

Had an Actros Megaspace (mp2) on hire quite a while back and the tank was bone dry…on my way out, I hit Reading e/b services and bought 2 bottles of Adblue (10 litre bottles??). Put both in the tank and iirc, that took it to about half full. Had to get 2 more at Warwick n/b and 2 more on the s/b side on the way back and after 430km’s round trip, it was dry again. The dealer said ‘there is no way it would use that much over that distance’ until the day driver proved him wrong by needing another 10 bottles on his run to Ivy Bridge!

Well this week for instance I filled the adblue tank up in the yard, gauge on the dash showing 8.8gallons. After the 200mile run down to Birmingham I had used 1/4 tank of diesel and 1/4 tank of adblue, if my maths are correct that’s 2.2gallons or 1.1gallons per 100mile. Same on the way back, another 1/4 of diesel and adblue. 4.4gallons over 400 miles. Admittedly running at around 42t both ways.

scaniason:
Reading the Actros manual, it says that AdBlue consumption is about 4% of fuel consumption. Worryingly, it also says tha once the engine is run in, oil consumption will be about 0.5% of fuel consumption - so for every 100l of diesel I put in, it will have used about a pint of oil■■?

i have a euro4 46 ,it use’s 85 litre’s every 4000km’s. Get’s an oil change every 50k and i think i’ve had to top the oil level by 4 litre’s once. 450k on the clock on heavy work. :slight_smile:

muckles:

C10HOO:
Also was speaking to a driver tonight who is “old school” and is adamant he will never put that crap in a truck, it’s nothing to do with him, to quote it was “if a company wants me to drive a motor with adblue, they can fill it”

These guys normally have plenty to say, about what they will and won’t do, when talking to other drivers, but when some bod comes out of the office they’re as meek as a lamb. Watch them though as they’re also the one that will stab you in the back. :imp:

They are going to (if they haven’t started already) in Ad Blue in cars, I had visions of chaos as drivers fill the tank with all sorts of stuff or put the ad blue into the fuel tank, :open_mouth: but apparently it will be a service item and will done by the dealer, no doubt with a hell of a mark up and probably an hours labour on top. :smiley:

They all ready have merc and vw models with adblue ,think it’s hidden in the boot and topped up during service

norb:

muckles:

C10HOO:

They all ready have merc and vw models with adblue ,think it’s hidden in the boot and topped up during service

Seems to confirm what I was told a couple of years back, I just wasn’t sure if they were already on the market. :smiley:

norb:

muckles:

C10HOO:

Volvo did it calling it ELOYS Fluid, luckily my C30 has the 2nd gen system, rarther than adblue it injects Diesel into the exhaust to heat it up when on long motorway runs

C10HOO:
Was just wondering if anyone notices their adblue consumption, the Merc I drive drinks about 1gallon per 100miles. Also was speaking to a driver tonight who is “old school” and is adamant he will never put that crap in a truck, it’s nothing to do with him, to quote it was “if a company wants me to drive a motor with adblue, they can fill it”

Bloke deserves a P45 if that is his attitude. Also running with an empty adblue tank puts the vehicle in limp home and can cause damage too.