J. & W. Watt Limited

Hi Peter, Was your Dad big Rab Broon who was the Manager for Davis Bros that was in the Riggend Depot in the 60s,
Ben.

riggend:
Hi Trukkertone,
I’m sure he loved that car really lol. I can’t remember Alan Grant, but I’ll ask my sister who worked with my dad for a while. My wife worked in Carron Stainless and she remembers a wee Irish guy called Charlie, but can’t remember his second name, do you know it? as it’s bugging her lol.
Cheers,
Peter

No. Sorry. Cant remember charlie…

ben walker:
Hi Peter, Was your Dad big Rab Broon who was the Manager for Davis Bros that was in the Riggend Depot in the 60s,
Ben.

Hi Ben Yes he was the manager for Davis Bros. He used to drive a what he called a Bull Nose Scammell with a gate gear change before becoming manager.

Hi Trukkertone. My sister can remember Alan Grant Said he came from Airdrie would this be right.

here’s a question for you Peter,
can you remember when you walked in the main garage door, there was a big round steel turntable in the floor that you could drive a car onto and then turn it around ?

and another great memory of your dad,
I had a load of flour for RHM at Chapelhall one Tuesday morning, I had come up from loading it at Andover the previous day…
the wee man in charge at RHM messed me about for a couple of hours, and then pulled a couple of lorries to tip before me…
I had kept in touch with Rab, so when this happened he told me " bring the load to Riggend "…
RHM needed that load and were on the phone next morning to ask when they could expect it…
Rab kept them waiting til Friday morning.

I just did a search for Frozen Fare but nothing came up so i guess they’re no longer in operation. I used to drive for them when they were in Wetherby and had about half a dozen wagons, i had a Volvo 86 then a Volvo 88. Wish i’d taken photos. :angry:

remy:
I just did a search for Frozen Fare but nothing came up so i guess they’re no longer in operation. I used to drive for them when they were in Wetherby and had about half a dozen wagons, i had a Volvo 86 then a Volvo 88. Wish i’d taken photos. :angry:

I worked for Watts when they took over Frozen Fare, they were white ERF’s with blue logo on the doors and Frozen Fare on the illuminated headboard…

Hi Trukkertone,
I do remember a car ramp that moved which was on the left hand side at big windows, is this the same thing you are talking about?
My memories of the place are of a loading bay on the right hand side and a storeroom for spares, oils etc. Walk between loading bay and storeroom, and on the left hand side toilets and a room where drivers had their breaks. Through the door in front of you was a side door leading to the outside, turn right through to office through another door to another office building. This is what I remember of Riggend, maybe one day I will pop in and see if the interior has changed.
Peter

Hi Peter,
yes, your description is spot on…
I worked for watts after passing my test in 1977, I was there 7 years until they more or less stopped doing transport, and just carried on with the warehouse at Carlisle…
some of the places in Scotland I can remember loading were Carron Radiators, Clydebridge and the Craig, and Cape Insulation…
Cheers, Tony…

Hi Tony,
Thanks for sharing your memories of Riggend and my dad, he loved to tell stories about his time trucking up and down to London, for example delivering to the fruit market at Glasgow, when he would drop off a box or two of apples, another time it was a box of Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies, we lived off them for months lol. He also spoke often of the many friends he made. All the best.
Cheers,
Peter

all the best Peter… stay on here and you might find more memories.
cheers , Tony

riggend:

ben walker:
Ben.

Hi Ben Yes he was the manager for Davis Bros. He used to drive a what he called a Bull Nose Scammell with a gate gear change before becoming manager.

Hi Ben, Did you work with my dad at Davis Bros. Can you tell me anything about him in the 50/60s. I have some memories of when Riggend was a very busy place Cheers Peter

riggend:

riggend:

ben walker:
Ben.

Hi Ben, Did you work with my dad at Davis Bros. Can you tell me anything about him in the 50/60s. I have some memories of when Riggend was a very busy place Cheers Peter

riggend:

riggend:

ben walker:
Ben.

Hi Peter,Was at Riggend when your Dad was Manager good lad very easy going one o the best Depots I worked in Transport we did mostly Steel fae Gartcosh we spent most of the time away from the Depot we loaded at weekend then your dad would tell us no to come back this week then we just spent the week running out clearing houses and other Davis Depots going wherever you fancied,Riggend was busy then Davis had that many wagons at the time,we would often come back on a Friday and Rab would have us out on sat morn and we knew there was nothing to do so we started off in the Café then the Pub at the road end then went hame when it closed in afternoon them were good old times.

Ben.

riggend:

riggend:

ben walker:
Ben.

riggend:

riggend:

ben walker:
Ben.

Hi Peter,Was at Riggend when your Dad was Manager good lad very easy going one o the best Depots I worked in Transport we did mostly Steel fae Gartcosh we spent most of the time away from the Depot we loaded at weekend then your dad would tell us no to come back this week then we just spent the week running out clearing houses and other Davis Depots going wherever you fancied,Riggend was busy then Davis had that many wagons at the time,we would often come back on a Friday and Rab would have us out on sat morn and we knew there was nothing to do so we started off in the Café then the Pub at the road end then went hame when it closed in afternoon them were good old times.

Ben.

Hi Ben,
People first do you remember Martha Logan think she was a secretary, Bo Bo Ballantyne, Patsie Fagan, a guy nicknamed Hands, a mechanic called Jimmy Millar. these are names stuck in my mind and was there big dog called Rex. I remember going into the café with my dad and a lady would always give me a egg roll and a mug of tea, I think her name was Agnes, sure dad called her aggie. Was Saturday mornings when drivers washed there trucks. I can also remember drivers going to Riggend Hotel and I was left to sit in the car and dad would bring me a packet of crisps saying wont be long Ha Ha. Sorry if I have gone on abit
Cheers Peter.

riggend:
Hi Ben,
People first do you remember Martha Logan think she was a secretary, Bo Bo Ballantyne, Patsie Fagan, a guy nicknamed Hands, a mechanic called Jimmy Millar. these are names stuck in my mind and was there big dog called Rex. I remember going into the café with my dad and a lady would always give me a egg roll and a mug of tea, I think her name was Agnes, sure dad called her aggie. Was Saturday mornings when drivers washed there trucks. I can also remember drivers going to Riggend Hotel and I was left to sit in the car and dad would bring me a packet of crisps saying wont be long Ha Ha. Sorry if I have gone on abit
Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,
Remember Martha well was Rabs Secretary very nice lass not so sure about the mechanic though the mechanic I remember was Vince an Englishman who came from sam Anderson at newhouse the dog a bad bugger I brought it up from London never liked it ■■■■ all over my engine covers on the road up,getting on a bit cant mind a lot of names of drivers,Johnny Collins, tommy walsh, Monty never knew first name Stevie donnachie,john Campbell,eddie Maguire,adam from Kilsyth,sandy reid,Frank Garrie, We never did a lot on a Saturday morn that is if we were at home on Davises we never did a lot o lorry washing as a lot of old Drive will tell you, the Wagons were no the best until a few Years before they finished then we got some new Mercedes 1418 s,where did your Dad go to after Davis I was back in Wapping when they finished up.A lot of the old Drivers will run them down but that’s the one,s that never worked them and don’t know what they are talking about it was the best I worked for nobody bothered you and the money was good.
Ben.

Hi Ben,
Thanks for the info, I well remember being introduced to the dog named Rex dad said let him get your smell ? I was terrified but we became best friends. I used to feed him and take him a walk round the back, must have been about 10 yrs old. When Davis Bros packed up dad became T/M for J&W WATT when they opened a yard in Falkirk before moving back to Riggend. He retired when WATTS packed up, but I think he still had fingers in pies in the transport game. Sadly he passed away in 2010 aged 87yrs. I wish you all the very best and thanks again
Cheers Peter
Son of big Rab Broon

Hello Peter. Last time I saw u at riggend u were painting a mates cortina yellow wi blue stripe Starky n Hutch style lol.

Hi Peter. Last time I saw u at riggend u were painting a cortina yellow wi blue Starsky n Hutch style stripe. I’m Brian Ross, Jimmy Ross was my auld man lol.

Watt’s had a lot of work out of Carron Company at Falkirk. I was forklift driver n loaded trucks wi cookers etc. Other Scottish Watt’s drivers were John Motherwell, Lawrence Guest n Charlie McGrenra.