J. & W. Watt Limited

Watt’s did quite a bit out of Express Dairies at Appleby as well. Eddie.

I used to deliver reels of paper to their depot on London Road for storage, for the press on Dalton Rd, It was certainley a quicker & better tip. Regards Larry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diff Lock:

Now that’s how they loaded pulp wood back in the day ! I wonder how todays Jockeys would fare if they had to handball a load on ! Cheers Bewick.

This 1/24 scale model of a J & W Watt Albion similar to the one shown previously was advertised for sale for the princely sum of £265.00 in Classic Comm Magazine around 2003, which was probably nearer the price of the real Albion at the time! It does capture the livery of the company well though. Franky.

Frankydobo:
This 1/24 scale model of a J & W Watt Albion similar to the one shown previously was advertised for sale for the princely sum of £265.00 in Classic Comm Magazine around 2003, which was probably nearer the price of the real Albion at the time! It does capture the livery of the company well though. Franky.

Lovely looking model Franky but as you say it’s a bit pricey!

Diff Lock:

I don’t ever remember an 86 on the fleet.

It was a shame but Watts were always in the “Shadow” of Robsons and to a much lesser extent so were Hodgsons of Carlisle but Watts and Hodgsons seemed to be able to work together ,well at least at the London end of their operations ! Cheers Bewick.

Did Watts have a depot at London Colney?
I’m sure I once dropped one of their trailers in there around 82 ish.
Transport manager at Carlisle was Billy …, can’t remember his surname.

robroy:
Did Watts have a depot at London Colney?
I’m sure I once dropped one of their trailers in there around 82 ish.
Transport manager at Carlisle was Billy …, can’t remember his surname.

Yes your right they did have a depot at London Colney.

John Sandilands was the Transport Manager, I think the Billy you are thinking of was Bill Dowthwaite.

Watts Manager at London Colney in the 60’s and into the 70’s was Harold Dunkley, I don’t know when he would have retired as I lost contact in 1970 when I no longer subbed off Watts, nothing wrong I would add ,they were a great outfit to work for but times move on, I actually sold them a couple of trailers in about 72 and 74, the first was a 33ft York EP30 platform which I believe they fixed a container body onto it. The second one was a fairly new 40 ft Crane Fruehauf tandem axle van which I believe went onto their Uniroyal tyre contract . Cheers Bewick.PS having had another think! I did hear back then that Harold Dunkley had left Watts and gone to run the London office of the Scots firm Southern Transport !

Bought a couple of Scania 141’s of there’s from Malcolm Harrison and wernt they some flyers, excelerate up hill with 20 ton on behind as for fuel well it were a lot cheaper back then. Harrisons sold all there fleet and I never went out that morning to buy trucks, me and a mate went to Shropshire to try and buy a wodge of permits off a father and two sons who did some steel loads to France and had enough, it was on a farm and when we done that deal we went on to Stoke and the inevitable happened as they do, Buzzer.

the other office man at Colney was Albert, and one of their local day men was nicknamed Nobby, one of the night trunk men was nicknamed Ratcatcher.

georgeking:
Can anyone remember J. & W. Watt Limited of Carlisle, they had a cracking fleet of around 70 ERF’s in a two tone green livery.

Hi, my name is Peter Brown, I’ve just found this thread and it has brought back many memories for me. In the mid to late 60’s J W Watt opened up a depot in Falkirk, Scotland, later moving it to Airdrie. My dad, Robert Brown, was the Transport Manager until his retirement in the early 80’s.
Some of the drivers I remember are Jimmy Ross, John Manton, ■■■■ ?, Budgie Hogg, John Dunn, John Ericson, Mattie Moore who was a Carlisle driver. Hope this explains why they had a lot of work out of Scotland.

J & W Watt had quite a comprehensive operation in their “hay day” of the 50’s 60’s and early/mid 70’s. Their main operations were between Scotland/North ■■■■■■■ and London and the S.East, they ran night trunks between Carlisle and their small depot at London Colney which belonged to Moynihans who operated the filling station at the front of the site. Watt’s collaborated with three other firms from ■■■■■■■ and Southern Scotland, namely Hodgsons of Carlisle, Blue Band Motors and IIRC Lockerbie Transport Ltd . Watts London office provided parking space and also reloaded these three firms motors back to ■■■■■■■ and Scotland. London Colney was quite a hive of activity in those days. As an O/D I slotted in for their what is now their South ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ and Lancaster traffic which was mainly small consignments and bits and pieces which was no good for Watts as their trunks ran up the A1/A66/A6 to Carlisle. In those far off days any Haulier in the London area with traffic for ■■■■■■■■■■ & Westmorland and Scotland and wanted rid of it used J & W Watt’s services, they were the acknowledged means of shifting it !! For many years Bewick Transport used Moynihans to bunker the two Daventry day men that ran to and from London daily this was before pre paid bunkering became popular ! Cheers Bewick.

riggend:

georgeking:
Can anyone remember J. & W. Watt Limited of Carlisle, they had a cracking fleet of around 70 ERF’s in a two tone green livery.

Hi, my name is Peter Brown, I’ve just found this thread and it has brought back many memories for me. In the mid to late 60’s J W Watt opened up a depot in Falkirk, Scotland, later moving it to Airdrie. My dad, Robert Brown, was the Transport Manager until his retirement in the early 80’s.
Some of the drivers I remember are Jimmy Ross, John Manton, ■■■■ ?, Budgie Hogg, John Dunn, John Ericson, Mattie Moore who was a Carlisle driver. Hope this explains why they had a lot of work out of Scotland.

Hi Peter. I can remember your dad Rab. Great bloke… he wasnt very happy when Watts gave him a Lada as a compny car… he tried to kill that car from day one but it was a tough little beast… its a few years ago but john ericson was driving for the coop at ■■■■■■■■■■■■ can you remember alan grant who went on to gordon leslie transport ?

Hi Trukkertone,
I’m sure he loved that car really lol. I can’t remember Alan Grant, but I’ll ask my sister who worked with my dad for a while. My wife worked in Carron Stainless and she remembers a wee Irish guy called Charlie, but can’t remember his second name, do you know it? as it’s bugging her lol.
Cheers,
Peter