Illegal wage deductions

The-Snowman:

Rjan:
Did he try to steal? I’m not sure I would regard his conduct as dishonest, or be sure that he intended to permanently deprive the laptop when he seized it.

RobK:
started walking out with it under my arm

RobK:
said I was taking the laptop in lieu of payment

He snatched a laptop from someone who was using it and went to leave with it.
What would you call it?

Just deserts? Poetic justice? A comeuppance?

However improper his conduct, it was not in any way dishonest. It would be different of course if he had come in through the window overnight without leaving a note.

toonsy:

Rjan:

The-Snowman:

Rob K:
And I expect the story doubters in this thread are the ones that would do absolutely nothing except make whining posts on Facebook and internet forums asking “what should I do?” and then just let it go because it’s too much hassle or they haven’t got the balls to get up off their lazy fat arses to reclaim what’s rightfully theirs.

Not going all terminator and trying to steal a £400 laptop in lieu of a shortfall of less than £20 isnt the same as not having the balls to reclaim whats rightfully theirs.

Did he try to steal? I’m not sure I would regard his conduct as dishonest, or be sure that he intended to permanently deprive the laptop when he seized it.

But he did take something not of his without consent of the owner which is an offence.

Or at least it would be if it wasn’t a load of ■■■■■■■■ :slight_smile:

No it isn’t an offence merely to take something without the consent of the owner. It’s an offence to take something dishonestly and with the intention to permanently deprive (not merely indefinitely or temporarily deprive). A person who walks into an office in plain view and seizes something as a lien over unpaid wages, in circumstances where those wages were being unlawfully withheld and as as a gambit to prompt payment, is not necessarily committing a theft or an attempted theft, notwithstanding that he did not have permission to take the thing. It is merely a civil matter.

You could however end up in hot water if you cause further material loss to the business, or if the thing you take amounts to a criminal damage of machinery or fixtures (for example, if you took the main fuse for the building, cutting off the electricity, then you’d be held to have criminally damaged the installation). Generally speaking, seizing cash or bulk stock would be the safest way to avoid that - for example, if you’re a shop worker who takes cash from the till, leaves a note in lieu, and then rings the owner to inform them of the situation.

There is also a risk of breach of the peace, or violence offences if you assault a person on your way out or in trying to keep hold of the thing you’ve grabbed. In general I wouldn’t recommend the approach (if indeed it did occur) but it’s not necessarily a criminal matter.

xichrisxi:

Roymondo:

xichrisxi:
Dunno how they sent you £20 into your bank within 30 mins…if I move money between accounts which are all in my name it takes a few hours to show :confused:

I regularly move a couple of hundred quid from my Lloyds account to Nationwide. By the time I’ve logged into Nationwide (i.e. less than two minutes) the money is already there. Never had to wait.

Must just be Halifax that are [zb] then :laughing:

Perhaps they reckon you’re a fraudster. :laughing:

Payments between banks nowadays should be instantaneous (within minutes), unless they are held for fraud checks or delayed for systemic reasons. Does the Nationwide like the old building societies still use “roll numbers”?

I think the old roll numbers are buried in the system for certain types of account, but as far as I can tell for current accounts it’s just a straightforward BACS sort code and account number.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mods -
Im not going to repost it but my post that was deleted? SERIOUSLY?
This site has gone right to the dogs if THAT is the level of censorship we are now at.
Pathetic.
Which one of you deleted it?

Rob K:

Roymondo:

Rob K:

Quinny:
Asking for a friend. :wink:

Now I know the ins and outs of the law regarding this, so don’t need the lecture, but has anyone ever taken on their employer over illegal wage deductions, and won?

How did you do it, and what was the eventual outcome?

Ken.

I did it a couple of years ago (irrelevant guff deleted for brevity)

No you didn’t. Whether you actually did the laptop grabbing stuff is neither here nor there, the incident you describe has SQR(FA) to do with illegal wage deductions and everything to do with business-to-business transactions. Your specific mention of submitting your invoice confirms it.

The wink in Ken’s post suggests that he’s asking for himself. As I know Ken and who he “worked” for (at least in the not too distant past) as a ltd co then there’s every possibility his question is based on an invoice he’s submitted not been paid in full which would be identical to my own case and therefore relevant to the thread. It’s neither here nor there as he already received the answers to his questions in the first 3 replies before mine.

No. Stopped being a LTD company 2 years ago. Went on paye as an employee when I remarried.

Ken.

The-Snowman:
Mods -
Im not going to repost it but my post that was deleted? SERIOUSLY?
This site has gone right to the dogs if THAT is the level of censorship we are now at.
Pathetic.
Which one of you deleted it?

What was it about?