Illegal wage deductions

Rob K:

Reef:

Rob K:
I’d worked out that it was paid £1/hr less overall.

Rob K:
but sure enough the money (only £20)

Either your math needs refining or your knowledge of DHR does :wink:

Try adding in the VAT :bulb: and it just was under £20.

Ok assuming it was bang on 15 hours add VAT @ 20% = £3 - Total inc VAT would indeed be £18, which as you say is just under £20… But let’s be fair how could anyone know that you saying “only £20” really meant “just under £20 inc VAT” :question: :bulb:

Anyway I’m not looking to disprove the validity of your post, just highlighted something I thought seemed erroneous, carry on… :slight_smile:

Reef:

Rob K:

Reef:

Rob K:
I’d worked out that it was paid £1/hr less overall.

Rob K:
but sure enough the money (only £20)

Either your math needs refining or your knowledge of DHR does :wink:

Try adding in the VAT :bulb: and it just was under £20.

Ok assuming it was bang on 15 hours add VAT @ 20% = £3 - Total inc VAT would indeed be £18, which as you say is just under £20… But let’s be fair how could anyone know that you saying “only £20” really meant “just under £20 inc VAT” :question: :bulb:

Anyway I’m not looking to disprove the validity of your post, just highlighted something I thought seemed erroneous, carry on… :slight_smile:

I see you’re intent in proving my story and figures to be BS. I’m pleased to hear you have so much free time on your hands! /s

I don’t remember the exact figures. It was 8 hours at std rate and some hours at time 1.5, so whatever that came to plus VAT. Not that it matters… It came to £19 something but I rounded it to £20 for brevity’s sake and that was what they transferred too, so I ended up being slightly up in the end.

Rob K:
And I expect the story doubters in this thread are the ones that would do absolutely nothing except make whining posts on Facebook and internet forums asking “what should I do?” and then just let it go because it’s too much hassle or they haven’t got the balls to get up off their lazy fat arses to reclaim what’s rightfully theirs.

Not going all terminator and trying to steal a £400 laptop in lieu of a shortfall of less than £20 isnt the same as not having the balls to reclaim whats rightfully theirs.

The-Snowman:

Rob K:
And I expect the story doubters in this thread are the ones that would do absolutely nothing except make whining posts on Facebook and internet forums asking “what should I do?” and then just let it go because it’s too much hassle or they haven’t got the balls to get up off their lazy fat arses to reclaim what’s rightfully theirs.

Not going all terminator and trying to steal a £400 laptop in lieu of a shortfall of less than £20 isnt the same as not having the balls to reclaim whats rightfully theirs.

That is of course very true, but when you’re wound up like a spring coil and the first thing of value you clap your eyes upon is a laptop, I think it would be understandable why I picked that up. I didn’t want the laptop of course, but it had the desired effect of getting their attention.

Reef:
Anyway I’m not looking to disprove the validity of your post…

Rob K:
I see you’re intent in proving my story and figures to be BS.

My mistake, it’s not math you have issue with, it’s reading.

Rob K:
I’m pleased to hear you have so much free time on your hands!

I actually have a very limited amount of free time and I certainly don’t intend spending that time duelling keyboards with you Rob.

Not in the same ball game…but when i was taken ill on the road, then got the outfit back to the yard got my stuff and went home…after a spell in hospital i started to claim benefits…well start the process, as he had denied he knew me, then denied i ever worked for him…what was he hiding i thought, but then the letters from the social started arriving…it seems that although he gave us a wage packet, ( and i saved them all ) he stated on there the amount of deductions…but in fact he wasnt paying any…so seeing as i hadnt paid into the system…i wasnt entitled to any aid. Once i pointed out that i was an employed driver, and had proof, plus i got in touch with a few delivery points, who had in fact by law had to keep records…and my name was on the delivery/weighbridge reports…i did win my case, and it cost him thousands as he had to repay all the deductions he had stolen never got the money owed to me from him though…that weeks money, holiday pay etc…

Adding this pic for no reason other than I thought it was funny :laughing:

image.jpeg

Rob K:

Quinny:
Asking for a friend. :wink:

Now I know the ins and outs of the law regarding this, so don’t need the lecture, but has anyone ever taken on their employer over illegal wage deductions, and won?

How did you do it, and what was the eventual outcome?

Ken.

I did it a couple of years ago (irrelevant guff deleted for brevity)

No you didn’t. Whether you actually did the laptop grabbing stuff is neither here nor there, the incident you describe has SQR(FA) to do with illegal wage deductions and everything to do with business-to-business transactions. Your specific mention of submitting your invoice confirms it.

Rob K:

Quinny:

Now I know the ins and outs of the law regarding this, so don’t need the lecture, but has anyone ever taken on their employer over illegal wage deductions, and won?

Ken.

I did it a couple of years ago with an agency based not far from Dawson’s Corner. Kid in the office agreed to my rates on the phone when ringing me to do a job that they’d been let down on. I followed it up with an email to him confirming the verbal agreement on the phone and attaching my rates PDF and off I went and did the job without any issue.

Predictably, my invoice was paid short at the end of the following week. I’d worked out that it was paid £1/hr less overall. Unsurprisingly I was passed from pillar to post as “you need to speak to payroll” who conveniently were never available.

On the 3rd day of being fobbed off, the kid that originally agreed the rate was the one who answered the phone so I grilled him about it and was put through to payroll who told me there “must have been a mistake as the job you did was a day job and we only pay x per hour for day work”. I pointed out that I’d already made it clear to the kid in the office that I only have one rate and that is my night rate, which he agreed he’d pay for this job as I was getting them out of the crap at very short notice (the call came in late morning to get there asap). She told me there was “nothing we can do, that’s all we pay” and so I got the kid back on the phone and told him I wasn’t having it and he needed to sort it out sharpish otherwise I’d be coming down to collect it in person. He reply whilst laughing at me “no you won’t Rob, and you won’t be getting your money either!”.

To say I was suitably enraged would be quite the understatement.

I got in my car and drove up to their office but couldn’t get in because it was in a small office block with an intercom outside. Obviously I couldn’t press the intercom to let them know I was outside. I patiently waited until a courier came to deliver a parcel then followed him in :sunglasses: . I burst into the office where 3 new drivers were sat round a table filling in application forms and walked straight through the door into the side office where 4 burly blokes were sat working at their desks. The first desk immediately inside the door had a guy sat there with a laptop open on his desk whilst he was messing around with his phone. I reached over his shoulder, pulled out the power cable and started walking out with it under my arm :astonished: . Predictably this caused quite a stirr and 2 of them jumped up “wtf are you doing and who the [zb] are you?” whilst the bigger of the two (bigger and taller than me :open_mouth: ) grabbed hold of me and pinned me up against the wall :exclamation: . I was starting to crap myself a bit by this point but I stood my ground, said what had happened and said I was taking the laptop in lieu of payment. It all got rather heated with much shouting and arguing but one of the other guys came over to calm the situation and bundled us all out of the office into the corridor whilst the biggest guy continued screaming “do you know how I am, do you know what a [zb] huge mistake you’ve just made coming into MY office like you’ve done, you aren’t going to be leaving this building in one piece” etc :open_mouth: . I was starting to cack it a bit more at this point but sanity prevailed and the ‘mediator’ guy sent him back in the office out of the way while he got the full story from me over how it had all come about.

He says to me 'wait here while I check it out and evidently he did check it out because the kid who’d tried to fob me off was sat in the office with him and I heard him get an almighty bollocking for not telling any of them about it (the big guy was the agency owner it later turned out). Mediator guy comes back out to me and apologises profusely, saying to go home and the shortfall will be transferred into my account within the next hour. Nothing much else I could really do so off I went thinking to myself that I’d just been fobbed off, but sure enough the money (only £20) was there within 30 mins and I got a call from him apologising again but “that wasn’t the correct way to resolve it” and “it’s probably best you seek work elsewhere”. We had a firm and frank discussion of views and that was it.

So yes, there are ways and means of getting any shortfalls or illegal deductions, some more effective than others. If you want to do it outside of official channels then you need a big pair of cojones and to be prepared to shed a bit of blood if it turns nasty.

What a great story, i don’t know weather to laugh or cry.
Did you really do all that for 20 quid if you did I’m sure nobody ever owes you money

Roymondo:

Rob K:

Quinny:

Ken.

I did it a couple of years ago (irrelevant guff deleted for brevity)

No you didn’t. Whether you actually did the laptop grabbing stuff is neither here nor there, the incident you describe has SQR(FA) to do with illegal wage deductions and everything to do with business-to-business transactions. Your specific mention of submitting your invoice confirms it.

The wink in Ken’s post suggests that he’s asking for himself. As I know Ken and who he “worked” for (at least in the not too distant past) as a ltd co then there’s every possibility his question is based on an invoice he’s submitted not been paid in full which would be identical to my own case and therefore relevant to the thread. It’s neither here nor there as he already received the answers to his questions in the first 3 replies before mine.

The-Snowman:

Rob K:

Did he try to steal? I’m not sure I would regard his conduct as dishonest, or be sure that he intended to permanently deprive the laptop when he seized it.

Rjan:
Did he try to steal? I’m not sure I would regard his conduct as dishonest, or be sure that he intended to permanently deprive the laptop when he seized it.

RobK:
started walking out with it under my arm

RobK:
said I was taking the laptop in lieu of payment

He snatched a laptop from someone who was using it and went to leave with it.
What would you call it?

The-Snowman:
What would you call it?

He didn’t though did he? He’s full of ■■■■ :laughing: :laughing:

DaveyCrocket:

The-Snowman:
What would you call it?

He didn’t though did he? He’s full of [zb] :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing:

Rjan:

The-Snowman:

Rob K:

But he did take something not of his without consent of the owner which is an offence.

Or at least it would be if it wasn’t a load of ■■■■■■■■ :slight_smile:

Dunno how they sent you £20 into your bank within 30 mins…if I move money between accounts which are all in my name it takes a few hours to show :confused:

xichrisxi:
Dunno how they sent you £20 into your bank within 30 mins…if I move money between accounts which are all in my name it takes a few hours to show :confused:

I regularly move a couple of hundred quid from my Lloyds account to Nationwide. By the time I’ve logged into Nationwide (i.e. less than two minutes) the money is already there. Never had to wait.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

xichrisxi:

I regularly move a couple of hundred quid from my Lloyds account to Nationwide. By the time I’ve logged into Nationwide (i.e. less than two minutes) the money is already there. Never had to wait.

Must just be Halifax that are ■■■■ then :laughing:

xichrisxi:

Roymondo:

xichrisxi:

Must just be Halifax that are [zb] then :laughing:

They are! :grimacing:

ACAS is your friend .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk