Deductions from wages

My old boss has just paid me via a cheque (only a week late and another week till the cheque clears) and he has taken £70 out of it for he claims cost to fix the scrape down the side and to replace a mirror that I replaced myself that had a crack in it hence I got it free…
Where do I stand from a legal point of view, and I never had a contract with him…?

DAF95XF:
My old boss has just paid me via a cheque (only a week late and another week till the cheque clears) and he has taken £70 out of it for he claims cost to fix the scrape down the side and to replace a mirror that I replaced myself that had a crack in it hence I got it free…
Where do I stand from a legal point of view, and I never had a contract with him…?

I would go and see him and take it in to my own hands. I cant help on legality but I do know there are a lot of ■■■■■■■■■ gaffa’s that will take every oppurtunity to take the ■■■■ so go and see him first and tell him you want proof of the damage happing that is your cause, then the proof of repair. Without either I think you may have a case in the small claims court(ball ache). Just threaten him with violence :stuck_out_tongue:

AFAIK the only deductions that can be legally made are for Tax & NI, unless you have written
agreement for other deductions i.e. Pension. I’d get down to your nearest CAB and speak
to them.

OllieNotts:

DAF95XF:

I would go and see him and take it in to my own hands. I cant help on legality but I do know there are a lot of [zb] gaffa’s that will take every oppurtunity to take the ■■■■ so go and see him first and tell him you want proof of the damage happing that is your cause, then the proof of repair. Without either I think you may have a case in the small claims court(ball ache). Just threaten him with violence :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, when I scraped the side I admitted it to him, and I told him I had replaced the mirror which got hit on a tree branch which he seemed happy with at the time…
However, taking things into my own hands, his yard is unlocked and I know where he keeps the keys to the coach… :wink:

Colingl:
AFAIK the only deductions that can be legally made are for Tax & NI, unless you have written
agreement for other deductions i.e. Pension. I’d get down to your nearest CAB and speak
to them.

Thats what I thought!!!
I made no written agreement, and during my month working there I had no employment contract…

Go buy some fresh fish and cram it into as many vents as you can. In this weather you will get a result on 2 counts :-

a) Warm weather makes fish extra smelly, extra fast

b) The vents are likely to be off until passengers are on board and then its - WOW!! :laughing:

Edit to add: Dont forget to place some in an area out of the way. This results in longer lasting satisfaction as they will have to take the vehicle off the road to investigate where the stench in coming from and thus loses the ■■■■■■ money - RESULT

Just for once I think you should swallow it. Just how much damage have you caused so far in your driving career? I think you’re getting off lightly! :wink:

44 Tonne Ton:
Just for once I think you should swallow it. Just how much damage have you caused so far in your driving career? I think you’re getting off lightly! :wink:

Im not swallowing this one, he was guaranteeing me a guaranteed £200 a week, which was crap, and he’s only given £115 for my last week :imp:

DAF95XF:
Im not swallowing this one, he was guaranteeing me a guaranteed £200 a week, which was crap, and he’s only given £115 for my last week :imp:

and you actually agreed to work for that?

DAF95XF:

44 Tonne Ton:

But if there was no contract how can you prove he guaranteed you that amount, it all sounds dodgy are you paying taxes on this aswell. Don’t mess with the taxman!

Lee G:

DAF95XF:

and you actually agreed to work for that?

I didnt have much choice, I had already handed my notice in with another employer before finding a new job, which I know was pretty stupid :blush:
Besides that, I was doing more hours than that anyway but what he didnt tell me was that he’d be paying me based on DRIVING hours not hours worked :imp:

merc0447:

DAF95XF:

44 Tonne Ton:

But if there was no contract how can you prove he guaranteed you that amount, it all sounds dodgy are you paying taxes on this aswell. Don’t mess with the taxman!

Yeah, dont worry about that, all the normal stuff like NI etc was getting paid :laughing: :laughing:

Colingl:
to them.

I agree with what Colingl has said.

As for taking things into your own hands, fine if that’s what you want to do, but I suggest you get the money you’re owed first :wink:

The boss man sounds like a right ■■■■ taker to me, “i’ll only pay you for hours driven & not for other hrs you worked” and then has the neck to deduct for damages from you wages without your consent,(which i think is illegal) and is only paying peanuts at the end of the day, don’t know about giving him a stinky coach, i would be looking a damages to it, how much do those radiators cost? i bet a bit more than what he robbed from you ,

I once worked for a firm that did this, they had a driver that did a fair bit of damage, they gave him the oldest truck they had and deducted money from his wages, to cover the damage he did most weeks. They had an agreement drown up and signed by the driver and company allowing this to happen. They said this had to be done to make it legal, they were only allowed to stop normal deductions, unless they have the employees permission.

DAF95XF:

44 Tonne Ton:

I can’t help thinking you’re in the wrong game laddie! :unamused: :laughing:

IF you were employed you should have been paid minimum wage for all the hours you worked (just getting paid for driving is bizarre). So go to the CAB about the deductions but also about reclaiming wages that they illegally withheld. Use your tachos or printouts to back up your claim. If he claims you were ‘self-employed’ then ask if you were free to work for some one else and had to obey his instructions. If the answers are ‘no’ and ‘yes’ then you were not self-employed and he owes you the back pay plus the revenue employers NI contributions. Isn’t employment law part of the operators CPC? If so the TC might be interested in his illegal practices.

I don’t know if this will work but why should it just be foreign benefit claimants who fight for their rights!? Give them absolute (legal) hell. if they know that taking you on is going to mean hours, days and weeks of hassle and possible prosecution they might at the very least repay the deductions.

iIRC, the OP has already said in another thread that his ex-boss was about as dodgy as they come

shuttlespanker:
iIRC, the OP has already said in another thread that his ex-boss was about as dodgy as they come

He’s not exactly Driver of the Year himself! :grimacing:

At least your old Governor didn’t need to go to specsavers because he saw you coming a mile off :laughing: :laughing: