About me contract

i,m on contract with me empolyer for them puttin me through me clas 1 (18 mounths) if was to leave can they take my whole wages in one go cheers lad,s lassie,s

in one word yes :wink:

It is illegal under UK employment law for an employer to make any deductions from your wages without your consent. Even if they overpay you one week, they cannot deduct the overpayment from your wages without your express permission.

What they can do is sue you for the amount you owe them.

kitkat:

Actually they can’t.

Conor:
It is illegal under UK employment law for an employer to make any deductions from your wages without your consent. Even if they overpay you one week, they cannot deduct the overpayment from your wages without your express permission.

This sounds correct to me, however if they a written agreement they may be able to.

acas.org.uk/rights/pay.html#11

Conor:

kitkat:

Actually they can’t.

if he read’s his contract then i’m sure it will be in there stating if he leaves within a certain time scale,then they will deduct the money that cost them to put him through his course.so in theory yes they can take it. :wink:

I keep hearing that an employer can’t hold you to pay back fees for training, be it paying them back or having to stay for x amount of time.

It would be interesting to find out the real facts on this subject.

theghostofcain:
I keep hearing that an employer can’t hold you to pay back fees for training, be it paying them back or having to stay for x amount of time.

It would be interesting to find out the real facts on this subject.

Like I mentioned above, I think that once it gets put in writing the written agreement becomes binding and therefore the law on pay deductions don’t apply (as its a separate contract, similar to a loan in effect).

Conor:

Sorry mate but your wrong there.
3 years ago my wife was over paid by her company via BACS, a week later when it was realised they took the money out of her account which was a savings and she went overdrawn.
As it was a savings account we got a phonecall from the bank asking us to sort the problem out by the end of the working day as savings accounts can not go overdrawn. When we explained the situation they said the employer was quite legally able to take the money back and they offered us a loan to clear the debt (at a charge of course).

Be warned BACS can take money out as well as put in!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

flub007:

Conor:

Sorry mate but your wrong there.
3 years ago my wife was over paid by her company via BACS, a week later when it was realised they took the money out of her account which was a savings and she went overdrawn.
As it was a savings account we got a phonecall from the bank asking us to sort the problem out by the end of the working day as savings accounts can not go overdrawn. When we explained the situation they said the employer was quite legally able to take the money back and they offered us a loan to clear the debt (at a charge of course).

Be warned BACS can take money out as well as put in!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Initially I agreed with conor but have found this link which shows the exemptions to pay protection:

dti.gov.uk/er/pay/contracts-pl810b.htm#2