Agency asking for overpaid wages back...in CASH!

Thought I would share this as it is too hilarious to keep to myself.

Bear in mind, I am an employee, paid through PAYE, not on some limited company scheme. So I got a text this morning from the agency telling me that I have been overpaid three weeks in a row on account of an error by payroll. It said the exact amount would be calculated and that I needed to either transfer the sum to the agency’s account right away, or, even better, bring the cash into the office. Got home to find an email with the exact figures. The total comes to just over £70. And again, would I be so kind as to transfer the money or cough up the cash as soon as humanly possible. This is a gross sum, on which I have already paid income tax and NI contributions. HMRC (and logic) clearly states that such over payments can only be legally recovered by deductions from future earnings. I am simply dumbstruck by the ineptitude.

f

Go into the office and pay them, but hand them a bill for £75 to cover your time, fuel and parking expenses.

Some agencies have written in the contract a clause about overpayment which you need to agree so they can claw back the money via BACS, if you didn’t agree this point, or tick the box then they can’t do it and have to ask you to repay it manually which they can ask for. If you don’t then they will take other steps to recover it, the same as if you wasn’t paid you’d take steps (inc money claim online) to get money owed to you.
In my case I have to tick a box online to authorise BACS payments (which I haven’t). Several times over the years I’ve been overpaid, once by around £200 but luckily so far I’ve never been asked to pay it back.

If you know you have been overpaid, pay it back it’s a fair cop. Especially if you work for this agency regularly, otherwise you’ll find yourself benched pending repayment of the money, either by you or via money claim online

You no you’ve been over paid so just pay it back

There’s nothing really positive
About agency work is there

■■■■ em !
It’s an agency ffs :bulb: who’s main operation is creaming off drivers.
Tell em to take you to court, see if they write it off.
If that doesn’t work, pay em a quid a week.

I think some participants may have missed the OP’s point here - If he has been overpaid to the tune of £70 on his gross pay, he will have paid around £18 extra in tax and NI. He will only have actually received around £52 extra in his pay packet. If he simply hands over £70 in cash, he will be out of pocket by that £18.

Unless of course they have already done the back-calculation to arrive at the £70 figure…

He should be glad it’s only £70 though. When my previous employer’s pension administrators cocked up, it took them two years to notice their mistake, at which point I received a letter demanding a cheque for £25k. They did at least give me the option of paying by three, monthly installments…

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
I think some participants may have missed the OP’s point here - If he has been overpaid to the tune of £70 on his gross pay, he will have paid around £18 extra in tax and NI. He will only have actually received around £52 extra in his pay packet. If he simply hands over £70 in cash, he will be out of pocket by that £18.

Unless of course they have already done the back-calculation to arrive at the £70 figure…

He should be glad it’s only £70 though. When my previous employer’s pension administrators cocked up, it took them two years to notice their mistake, at which point I received a letter demanding a cheque for £25k. They did at least give me the option of paying by three, monthly installments…

Did you give them a good interest rate too?
:wink:

mac12:

There was never any question about paying it back. I’ve instructed them to take it from next week’s pay. My point was the method of recovery, which made no sense at all under the circumstances.

jronnquist:

mac12:

There was never any question about paying it back. I’ve instructed them to take it from next week’s pay. My point was the method of recovery, which made no sense at all under the circumstances.

Glad to hear that, if they didn’t no so never asked that would be totally different

Franglais:

Roymondo:

Long story short - after negotiations involving senior figures in both organisations, an agreement was reached whereby repayments were to be made over a much longer period (with no interest payable). Repayments commenced direct from pension payments.

Then a little over a year ago, the contract changed hands. The debt is of no concern to the new lot, and the old contract holders simply direct any communication to the new lot. So I’ve been putting the money aside into Premium Bonds while I wait for them to notice their mistake and demand their money again…

If you repay any “overpayment” in cash, there’s presumably no record you’ve made that payment, and you’ve already paid taxes on it in any case…

Smells of some kind of dodgy tax avoidance going on here (by the firm), that they could ask the unaskable!

Roymondo:

Franglais:

Roymondo:

Long story short - after negotiations involving senior figures in both organisations, an agreement was reached whereby repayments were to be made over a much longer period (with no interest payable). Repayments commenced direct from pension payments.

Then a little over a year ago, the contract changed hands. The debt is of no concern to the new lot, and the old contract holders simply direct any communication to the new lot. So I’ve been putting the money aside into Premium Bonds while I wait for them to notice their mistake and demand their money again…

Makes sense.

jronnquist:
HMRC (and logic) clearly states that such over payments can only be legally recovered by deductions from future earnings.

Rubbish.