Question on deductions from wages

I do day runs for a company and they insist I must download my card every evening when I return to the yard, we have to debrief at the window where the office staff will take your keys, paperwork, timesheet and card, they are supposed to sign your timesheet download your card and hand it back with a reference number on your timesheet. They say if you don’t download your card they will not pay the overtime you have done on that day.
The problem I have is that recently they have deducted my overtime from my wages with a letter saying they have no download for that day, I have the timesheet signed, reference number all completed so either the download machine didn’t download it or the office staff didn’t put the card in the machine and handed it back.
Surely they can see from the following day when I downloaded what I had done the previous day?
Can they just deduct money from your wages?
The drivers that do nights out just download their card at the end of the week or when they return to base.
The reason I ask is that on a previous job at a different company I got a fine and I had to sign to say they could deduct a certain amount from my wages each week until the fine was paid.
Thanks, Ben

me thinks it is about time you looked for another job, and stopped being gullible :wink:

Im looking, Trust me

they can do it because you agreed to it

In future get them to sign something that states they have downloaded your card each time

ROG:

In future get them to sign something that states they have downloaded your card each time

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, surely the timesheet with reference number and signed should be enough, trouble is they strait away think that the driver cant have handed his card in.

Brooks81:

ROG:

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, surely the timesheet with reference number and signed should be enough, trouble is they strait away think that the driver cant have handed his card in.

sounds too me that your company is one of the many even in dire times are cutting rates, then hitting the driver to gain some money back

ROG:

if you read the OP correctly, they already do that and issue a reference number :wink:

Brooks81:
Im looking, Trust me

are you self employed? :open_mouth: tell them to whistle :unamused: or insert ■■■■■ into arachnids! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: 28 days and 42 days not ring any bells! :sunglasses:

Dear Lord, are there really companies like this still about, wide boys. Disgusting way to treat staff.

Suggest if you haven’t been doing so that you do a digi print out every day for you to keep for evidence in any future claim for constructive dismissal, which i fear is the only recourse to some form of justice you may have.

Keep a diary of all events names and things said and by whom, and keep all evidence such as pay slips with supporting print outs in order highlighting their thefts.

Thinking about it if you have enough good and regular evidence i don’t see why you couldn’t issue proceedings in the small claims court for money they have illegally witheld, when you leave.

@Brooks81

gov.uk/understanding-your-p … m-your-pay

HTH.

shuttlespanker:

ROG:

if you read the OP correctly, they already do that and issue a reference number :wink:

Does it specifically state that the digicard has been downloaded?

ROG:

shuttlespanker:

ROG:

Does it specifically state that the digicard has been downloaded?

i would say that the highlighted parts do say that, yes :wink:

Brooks81:
I do day runs for a company and they insist I must download my card every evening when I return to the yard, we have to debrief at the window where the office staff will take your keys, paperwork, timesheet and card, they are supposed to sign your timesheet download your card and hand it back with a reference number on your timesheet. They say if you don’t download your card they will not pay the overtime you have done on that day.
The problem I have is that recently they have deducted my overtime from my wages with a letter saying they have no download for that day, I have the timesheet signed, reference number all completed so either the download machine didn’t download it or the office staff didn’t put the card in the machine and handed it back.
Surely they can see from the following day when I downloaded what I had done the previous day?
Can they just deduct money from your wages?
The drivers that do nights out just download their card at the end of the week or when they return to base.
The reason I ask is that on a previous job at a different company I got a fine and I had to sign to say they could deduct a certain amount from my wages each week until the fine was paid.
Thanks, Ben

Say you do a 15 hour shift with 5 hours over time, they deduct 50 odd quid because you have inconvenienced them by not downloading your card? ■■■■■■■■■■■

As far as I am aware they can NOT deduct anything other than tax & Ni ,
Unless you authorise it, that Is your basic wage BUT bonus’s, OT and night out money might not come into that band .
If I have read right and you did your download and was signed off I would be
Expecting any deducted money repaid
Next wage when I showed them it was signed !

ohh this sounds like a large newark company with black units and trailers

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that even when your card is downloaded the data stays on it. Surely you can get a readout from elsewhere to prove the point.

If it didn’t get dowloaded that day, then it would have been downloaded the next day surely? I really can’t see why it should lead to deductions from pay.

I’d be kicking up a stink, why should you be responsible for the incompetence of the office staff, you did what was requested of you, you should be paid accordingly.

Is there CCTV in the office / drivers room?

But, even so, I’d be like “here’s the sheet with the reference number” (which I assume is to show that you’ve downloaded your card and the times tally??) “so pay me what you owe me + £20 inconvenience money since the missus over-drawn my account due to insufficient and incorrect funds put in by yourselves, and no more overtime for me thanks”

■■■■■■■

Who remembers when men were men?
Never mind asking people on here for our opinion, go in the office and demand what you are owed, you not asking for “special” treatment, just the money owed for overtime worked.

If they don’t pay… Leave… Legal advice… Money back.
Stand up for your self mate.

It sounds to me that they are at fault. I suggest that you refer it to your Union and let them sort it out.