Question on deductions from wages

Present UK employment law states the an employer can only deduct Tax & NI without your permission, anything else must first be agreed with you. This agreement may be in the small print on your contract, read it, if its not there and you have proof that you downloaded the digicard ask to speak to the MD and explain your situation.

steve the argonaut:
Present UK employment law states the an employer can only deduct Tax & NI without your permission, anything else must first be agreed with you. This agreement may be in the small print on your contract, read it, if its not there and you have proof that you downloaded the digicard ask to speak to the MD and explain your situation.

Totally 100% correct ! in fact I am sure officially, they have to pay you in full and then request from you the disputed amount to be returned

I think that the issue here may be that the company have not deducted money, they have failed to acknowledge or record a number of hours worked and therefore paid the OP as they deem appropriate. It is not technically a deduction from wages; they have paid all the wages owed according to their “records”.
I still think they are in the wrong, but not for deducting wages, simply filing to pay for the hours worked.

gardun:
I think that the issue here may be that the company have not deducted money, they have failed to acknowledge or record a number of hours worked and therefore paid the OP as they deem appropriate. It is not technically a deduction from wages; they have paid all the wages owed according to their “records”.
I still think they are in the wrong, but not for deducting wages, simply filing to pay for the hours worked.

Oh if thats the case, not covered by act then as far as I know.

JLS Driver SOS:

gardun:

Oh if thats the case, not covered by act then as far as I know.

Sorry - should have added - just my opinion :blush:

Firstly i’d look for a new job, once you’ve found one tell your current boss if he doesnt pay you what they’ve unlawfully deducted you’ll report him to HMRC for tax avoidence and not paying NMW… He’ll be furious when they turn up and request to see his accounts.