Bloody tax man

I’ve just found out that a firm i worked for didn’t pay any tax or NI on my behalf some years back. They deducted plenty from my wages though.
I ended up with a P45 with a really crap tax code. I didn’t query it because i thought it could open a can of worms and go pear shaped.
The company has been disolved. It turns out they hadn’t paid any tax or NI for any employees for about 2 years and as a result the directors can no longer run a business for 8 years.
As it happens i ended up with a tax rebate from some other employment. I reckoned it up and realised it seemed a bit short. What the tax office have done is offset my rebate from the new employer against what the disolved company should have paid them. As a result i’ve paid my income tax twice.
The dirty [zb]ing scoundrels.
Unless the law has changed in favour of the tax man. An employee on PAYE was never responsible for paying his own tax and NI contributions.

Has anyone else had come across anything similar? Did you chase it up? What was the result?
I’ll be doing some chasing up myself later.

Know someone this happened to couple years back

They had to send them proof of the deductions eg pAyslips p60. P45 etc
Then was all ok after

many years ago i worked for a guy for a year paye and a while later i got a letter asking why id payed no n i i wrote back saying id been stopped it out of my wages…they asked for proof…so i sent my wage slips and they sent them back and said the matter had been resolved…so i guess my old boss had been made to pay up?..never heard a word from the tax man?..just n i ?

Had this sort of thing happen to me years ago. Taxman had no proof of me working and paying tax when I asked for a tax refund, after providing payslips I got a tax refund and the company ended up in trouble.
I’m currently having the same problem now hmrc say I paid £220 in tax for one employer for the year yet my payslips for that year say I paid almost £2500 I’ve got to speak to the accountant about this as my return is due by the end of the month.
All you’ve got to do is prove to them the tax was collected from you by the employer on their behalf eg payslips, p45 or p60 if you’re really good all of the aforementioned and you should be in the clear.

I used to be in partnership with another guy running our own electrical company. When I left, I got a P45 which I duly presented to my new company, all hunky-dory. In April the following year, I got sent a P60 from this company, this time showing that I had earned exactly double what was shown on the P45, and that the tax paid was about 8 times the correct figure.

HMRC then wrote to me, demanding that I pay the balance of the tax! I wrote back, explaining that I had left the company in the previous October, that I hadn’t earned that money, having new payslips and tacho records etc to prove where I was, and also pointing out that if they were going to believe the P60, they should also believe the tax paid bit as well as the earnings. Still waiting to hear back as to what happens next - hopefully they’ve launched a full investigation into my old partner!

Gary

On the other side of the coin,

I was waiting for my assessment and I was expecting to pay ± 20,000.00 sterling Tax, instead I received a text stating 3000 sterling had gone into my account from SARS (tax man) shown as a rebate. Lovely Jubbly :sunglasses: 4 days before Christmas too.

Isn’t Karma a ■■■■■?

You’ve spent years on here bragging how you run bent and regularly break the law to get extra cash, so don’t start whining that someone has the audacity to do it to you. Well all I’ve got to say is hahahaha.

Either that or this is just another story for your GCSE English project

I smell bull ■■■

Is there anything this berk says, that’s true?

Or, to put it more politely, if you will run with wolves Phil…

bigvern1:
Is there anything this berk says, that’s true?

I used to like his mental posts but its ott now.im starting to feel sorry for the kid

It’s the responsibility of the indivudual to ensure they are not cheated in this day and age.
Too many firms have been given the green light by successive governments that lobby for “business to be left alone”. In fact, with all the deregulation as well, it’s now legal to set up business as crooks in this country, because money talks and merit walks. If a business gets caught fiddling taxes, stealing pay, running bent, or even employing dodgy people - the worst that can happen to those at the top of the pyramid is an exile on some sunny shore abroad whilst they live out their 8 years ban from being company directors or whatever. They’ll not pay anything back, they’ll not do any time, they’ll not compensate all those they fiddled, especially their staff who worked for said firm in good faith. Perhaps more staff should turn whistleblower? - If you get a reputation as a whistleblower however, you’ll not likely get the job in the first place - companies talk to each other, and that’s the reason they chase up references instead of checking with academic institutions that you have the qualifications you say you have. Outside of transport, ask anyone you know on a big wage if they ever had to produce their degree scrolls, diplomas, etc to get their cushy well-paid job…

You don’t get to be jailed for business crookery unless you’re daft enough to come home and face the music.

Even at the petty crime level, if plod sees a perp throwing a brick through a window, without it on camera, he’s got no case, and it’ll be dropped if the perp denys it. After Plebgate, no one trusts the police any more to bust the actual crooks rather than just chase what they see as “easy collars” etc. :frowning:

limeyphil:
As it happens i ended up with a tax rebate from some other employment. I reckoned it up and realised it seemed a bit short. What the tax office have done is offset my rebate from the new employer against what the disolved company should have paid them. As a result i’ve paid my income tax twice.
The dirty [zb]ing scoundrels.

And how much have you earned on the fiddle when you paid no tax?

Swings and roundabouts.

Oh and moo.