How long is your CV? struggling here

What’s a CV?.[emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

daftvader:
What’s a CV?.[emoji1787]

Not 100% sure but I think it’s one of them quirky French cars made from wriggly tin.

Grumpy Dad:
Don’t have a CV

Me either.

My lot set about 20 drivers on,this year…and never advertised.

the maoster:

daftvader:
What’s a CV?.[emoji1787]

Not 100% sure but I think it’s one of them quirky French cars made from wriggly tin.

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji106]

Many thanks for the replies guys.

Some comments made me laugh lol

You guys have given me very vital advice and i appreciate it. Will remove my degree from education and reword Software Developer to something like “Various IT roles” just so i dont sound like a guy who knows his sh\t.

I can kind of understand with those who dont have CVs when applying at an agency as you can just verbally apply and its fine but in IT obviously you cant. I’ll keep my CV very very basic

I was thinking of removing my IT experience and just leaving the warehouse operative role in as i’ve done a little bit of that but still unsure.

A friend of mine has been updating her CV for about 15 years, she has never had a proper job, just part time shop work and cleaning. At the last read it was over 13 pages. :smiley:

I’m one for a single page CV with my name and date of birth as I don’t believe I can pass off as a teenager any more, no one is interested where I went to school or what results I got in 1973/74. I put down my licence classes and countries travelled to, no all, but Benelux, Scandinavia, Asia is enough without particular name dropping.

Read the job advert and see what skills they require. In your previous work history, give examples of where you’ve demonstrated those skills. The closer you can get to matching their requirements, the more likely you are to land the job.
Make your cv/covering letter match the employer. A small, local haulier probably wont care that you used the “inter urban network” where as a large global conglomerate would love it.

Worked for me.

ibby730d:
Many thanks for the replies guys.

Some comments made me laugh lol

You guys have given me very vital advice and i appreciate it. Will remove my degree from education and reword Software Developer to something like “Various IT roles” just so i dont sound like a guy who knows his sh\t.

I can kind of understand with those who dont have CVs when applying at an agency as you can just verbally apply and its fine but in IT obviously you cant. I’ll keep my CV very very basic

I was thinking of removing my IT experience and just leaving the warehouse operative role in as i’ve done a little bit of that but still unsure.

Not everyone without a CV is condemned to Agency Work only, a slight dig in the ribs with the an Underachiever label stuck to it comment.
I don’t have a CV mainly because I’ve never needed one, I’ve worked for small family run businesses doing European the largest company I’ve worked for was Matthews at Great Yarmouth, I phoned on the off chance of a vacancy told them my experience and 2 days later was phoned back with a start date, turned up introduced to different bods given my truck etc and sent out for a month.
I don’t know about new starters in the industry today, it was a quick chat with a drive around the block when I first started, but it’s pretty ■■■■ having to remove qualifications to follow something you want, seems your hiding the fact your lowering your standards.
Best of luck to you, hopefully you’ve made the right choice and you’ve always got something to fall back on, just remember to put it back in your CV :laughing:

yourhavingalarf:
Is a CV…

Really valid at all these days?

Yep, most employers will want you to send one in.

All you ever put in your own is ‘I’m a team player that thrives on pressure situations and I have an outgoing personality. I have risen to all challenges in my previous roles across the global market. My ability to adapt to skilled tasks at short notice is a character trait that has been documented by previous middle management’.

Yeah I’m guessing you don’t do very well with your CV.

Aside from a list of what you’ve done and when you did it, it’s just paragraphs of bollox puffing smoke up yer own backside innit?

But isn’t that exactly what you do in a face to face? It’s where you sell yourself or in the case of a few on here, crucify yourself. You have to prove your CV to an employer who may have 1000 people applying for a job why they should take the time out to offer you one of the handful of interviews they intend to do.

commonrail:

When that happens it is usually because they have a stack of CVs from people they’ve put aside to offer jobs to in the future.

Cv you say? Put: I worked for duncan adams on the containers from 2018-2019

Send to dock hauliers. Start tomorrow. Or maybe tonight.

Meant to say if youve got a degree i IT. Why the ■■■■ would you drive a lorry?

I dont anymore as the arse has collapsed in the industry due to melts like rowley010.

Yes men on 9 quid an hour flat rates running to the tacho limits.

Il stick to my van work. Would love to drive a big rig again but i cant stomach the tubes that have destroyed the place.

Imagine working for a quid more than sitting at a till in aldis.

Conor:

commonrail:

When that happens it is usually because they have a stack of CVs from people they’ve put aside to offer jobs to in the future.

Never thought of that.

From what I’ve seen most large haulage companies will have a form you can fill out online, so although no doubt they’ll take CV’s they don’t require them, plus they probably prefer that you use their application form as it standardises the applications, these maybe kept of file until a vacancy arrises.
Small companies its often best to turn up and ask for a job or just contact them by phone or email or get your mate who works there to ask.

Just to get the record straight, i’m only going to be a WEEKEND driver. I’ll always be in my IT role but would like to have a job on the weekend that i’ll enjoy.

It pays well on the weekend and most importantly, i’m not looking at the pay too much.

Id rather be on MW and love what i do and look forward to it than be on 15/20 an hour and doing it just to pay the bills and having no joy in it.

I love driving therefore it ticks my boxes.

ibby730d:
Just to get the record straight, i’m only going to be a WEEKEND driver. I’ll always be in my IT role but would like to have a job on the weekend that i’ll enjoy.

It pays well on the weekend and most importantly, i’m not looking at the pay too much.

Id rather be on MW and love what i do and look forward to it than be on 15/20 an hour and doing it just to pay the bills and having no joy in it.

So youl do a 40-60k maybe more job midweek and drive lorrys at the weekend. Your full of more ■■■■■ than a coo with constipation. Give it a rest. If i was as IT as you which is not to say im not i definately wouldnt be driving a lorrys to fill my weekends. Regardless if the paid me 20 notes an hour. You my friend are havingalarf.

cgscott:

ibby730d:

So youl do a 40-60k maybe more job midweek and drive lorrys at the weekend. Your full of more [zb] than a coo with constipation. Give it a rest. If i was as IT as you which is not to say im not i definately wouldnt be driving a lorrys to fill my weekends. Regardless if the paid me 20 notes an hour. You my friend are havingalarf.

I guess you’re “one of those” types of people.

“The world is full of critics. Therefore never justify yourself or reason with anyone and just do what you think is right in your own life and not others or go by what others think or what they are satisfied with and settled for. You do what you need to do, when and how” - ibby730d

ibby730d:

Your best bet here would be agency. Just turn up, put your licence on the desk and say “what have you got”.

Be aware that you would be governed by drivers hours rules, minimum weekly rest etc. so if you’re working during the week, you would be limited in what you could drive on the weekend. If anyone is prepared to help me out here, I think it would be one day per week every fortnight.

My 1st class 1 job i got because my dad worked there and i had been a drivers mate on the long stuff there since i was old enough to be seen, 13yrs later they called it a day, Prestons of Potto bought some of the trailers and while i was in there dropping them off the traffic manager came out and said, " suppose you.ll be looking for a job now then" i nodded and he said “start on Monday” :laughing: i had a few 5 yrs on there then started on my own
I wouldnt know how to write a Cv

dieseldog999:

Grumpy Dad:
Don’t have a CV

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
same here.
never had one,and dont have one.
a few sentences of who you know ect opens most doors if you know the score.
being smarter than the pleb interviewing you would work too well i would imagine,so id just be smart enough for the job that your no doubt going to be getting paid from the neck down.
i suppose a new pass looking at snowflake companies might need to type a load of pishy waffle similar to eagerbeavers offering though.
meaningless mince on a page so they can store it on a pc for future ref mostly?

Had to write my first CV ever recently, for doing something different, naturally the type of company who expect a CV aren’t the the worth driving for. I prefer the “how long can you go out for and can you leave tomorrow?” type of ‘interview’.

Rocking up in the yard with the superhamptons, a bag of being away gear and saying “heard you’re down a man, do I need my own magnet?” isn’t the done thing with the new direction unfortunately.

Harry Monk:

SJB:
I removed my degree from the education part of my CV when applying for lorry jobs. You don’t want them thinking “overqualified, won’t stay long” - left the A Levels to show I’m not completely thick and can learn stuff.

For much the same reason I don’t mention my Operator’s CPC on my CV- all it’s going to do is make them think “Uh-oh. He won’t be taken in by our BS then”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Same here, i did mention it at 1 interview when the billy big bollox tm tried to impress his female boss with a few /rules laws etc…oh his and her faces were a picture once i explained that he maybe needed a reread of the rules.
I’d been offered the job by then but had decided that i wasn’t gonna enjoy dealing with this idiot tm on a daily basis.
[emoji23][emoji23]