Drivers CV's

Something that has been pondering me for a while…

I have had a fair few jobs in the past, so my CV is nicely filled out.

But when i get my license, i have NO driving experience what so ever (other than dropping a few cars around the country for carcraft)

So what have you got on your CV if you have no previous job experience?

I dont want to fill it full of irrelevant jobs and experience.

Would like to get mine prepared so I can get it ready for when I pass

Cheers

Kev

Put as much information on as possible, i put on regarding my school education / apprenticeships i took in,

Put as much info as possible.

Don’t lie, but massively exaggerate your experience. For example, if you once noticed a Scania going the other way on the motorway, put down that you have driven a Scania to Istanbul. :stuck_out_tongue:

Harry Monk:
Don’t lie, but massively exaggerate your experience. For example, if you once noticed a Scania going the other way on the motorway, put down that you have driven a Scania to Istanbul. :stuck_out_tongue:

reason for leaving - company went into administration.

Sell yourself in the opening paragraph, if it doesn’t grab the interviewer they will throw it to one side.

This is how mine starts:

A reliable, highly motivated HGV Driver with experience and clean licence. ADR / DCPC, Digital Tachograph. Able to work as part of a team or without supervision. Proactive and professional with excellent time management. Possessing enthusiasm, drive and a positive attitude. Punctual and well presented. Confident outlook. Adaptable to new situations. Good administrative and IT skills. In depth knowledge of Health and Safety issues. Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing. Proficient phone manner.

This has to make them want to read the rest of the CV. When you put your qualifications down make sure you put what is relevant to the job your going for first i.e. put your driving quals, DCPC, Digi card etc before the fact you stacked shelves in Tesco etc.

As said DON’T LIE you will be found out at some point. I’m in the RAF, I’ve been out on convoys but driving is not my main job!! I have some experience with class 2 driving but not class 1, not lied on the CV just not expanded on the negatives!!

If you get a job application to fill out and send back and it says “Use Black Ink” don’t fill it out in BLUE or they will think your a muppet who can’t follow instructions…

Hope some of this helps.

Keep it plain & simple as they get loads of CV try to keep it to 1 page as they get board & dont have time to read reems of pages as has been said sell yourself in the 1st paragraph to get there interest

beefy505, I love that, gonna use it in mine lol!

Harry Monk:

That is great, I will use that for the job I am applying but edit it!!

Did you know that when you go for a job that the interviewer will take around 30 seconds to read your CV…? If an interviewer hasn’t read it in 30 seconds then there’s a good chance they won’t read it. You need to be brief.

This is my CV layout

Name
Address
Contact Details

Key Skills
Employment
Education
Hobbies and Interests
Additional Information
References

You will also require a “Covering Letter” as this in my personal opinion is important.

Your “Key Skills” you will need to add HGV class 1/2 licence and Drivers CPC Module 4.

In my CV I also added Car Mechanics as it tells them you have basic skills in this area. Don’t think unrelated skills are not looked upon by a potential employer.

Cheers for the replys!

Some food for thought there as to how to lay it out! :slight_smile:

beefy505:
Sell yourself in the opening paragraph, if it doesn’t grab the interviewer they will throw it to one side.

This is how mine starts:

A reliable, highly motivated HGV Driver with experience and clean licence. ADR / DCPC, Digital Tachograph. Able to work as part of a team or without supervision. Proactive and professional with excellent time management. Possessing enthusiasm, drive and a positive attitude. Punctual and well presented. Confident outlook. Adaptable to new situations. Good administrative and IT skills. In depth knowledge of Health and Safety issues. Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing. Proficient phone manner.

I like that, its there and straight to the point.

I imagine writing this CV is going to be a swine!

I am just doing mine this evening having nearly completed my intital cpc, as well as putting in a decent first paragraph, would it also be advisable to put a second headed paragraph “OBJECTIVE” to explain to any potential employer that you are going to do extra training e.g. hiab and adr in the near future, so it shows you have the intention of gaining extra skills that would potentially be of help to an employer.

mainer:
I am just doing mine this evening having nearly completed my intital cpc, as well as putting in a decent first paragraph, would it also be advisable to put a second headed paragraph “OBJECTIVE” to explain to any potential employer that you are going to do extra training e.g. hiab and adr in the near future, so it shows you have the intention of gaining extra skills that would potentially be of help to an employer.

Good call buddy

thanks for that :smiley:

mainer:

No if anything you can add that to the profile in brief details. Something like this. . In the future I would like to pass my HiAB and ADR certificates. It’s simple and your telling them in 13 words which is nothing. I may be wrong but that’s more or less how I would add it in just after you tell them what licence’s and experience you have. Maybe you should word it differently but again keep it brief and to the point.