Hi All - Another Newbie

peterboroughmatt:
One question I do have about reversing is how do u judge how near you are to say a loading bay, the lads I’m going to be working with say u know when you hit it but I don’t think that will work on the test :laughing:

In real life you learn to gauge your length, and hence drop to a crawl to bounce on to it…

For your Class C, I suspect your instruct may have accidentally put a zip tie on the side protector bars, which by ‘coincidence’ seems to line up with something in the background when viewed in the mirror. :wink:

Class 2 reverse is a doddle as well, so don’t worry about it too much.

Pete will correct me, but I believe it’s the act of knocking the back barrier/hurdle over that constitutes a fail, as I’m sure you’re allowed to touch it… :confused:

how do u judge how near you are to say a loading bay, the lads I’m going to be working with say u know when you hit it but I don’t think that will work on the test :laughing:

And this time, the lads are correct. But don’t hit it at any speed.

And yes, it does work on test. Perfectly ok to touch the barrier as long as you don’t shove it backwards. However, most training vehicles have magic marks to help you gauge when to stop. Then get out and check where you are and push it back a bit more if you need to. No penalty at all for that.

If you’re training somewhere that has it’s own test centre on site, this is a distinct advantage as everything will be familiar on test.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks all, maybe a loading bay wasn’t a good example of what I was getting at, I should have just said reversing in general.

peterboroughmatt:
Thanks all, maybe a loading bay wasn’t a good example of what I was getting at, I should have just said reversing in general.

Well let’s hope i’m right again this time! :wink:

But as a Newbie:-

First out you stop 12 feet short, and then get out and check.
Then you try 10 feet short, and then get out and check.
Then 8 feet short, and then get out and check.
Then 6 feet short, and then get out and check.
Then BANG, bollox that was too close! :laughing:

So the answer is don’t be complacent, get out and check always living with a margin that works…

Just back from doing the theory 93/100 so should be good to book some practical lessons now.

These bits of A4 paper with the pass results in, do I just need them when I do the practical test, do they got on my license automatically?

peterboroughmatt:
Just back from doing the theory 93/100 so should be good to book some practical lessons now.

These bits of A4 paper with the pass results in, do I just need them when I do the practical test, do they got on my license automatically?

Keep hold of them just in case the system has not been updated

So booked my class2 practical for the first week in April, visited 3 local providers and picked the 1 I like best, would have love to have gone upto Mansfield and trained with Peter but the earliest date available was mid May and I’m in abit of a hurry :blush: I sorry Peter I will defiantly be up for class 1 or even accross to Lincoln.

Won’t lie I am getting abit nervous now :neutral_face: , long story but I have resigned a job to do this, really I should have done it in my days off but in for a penny in for a pound and all that, I have a job lined up and start 1st April and the boss is going halfs on my training.

Good luck with it. Try not to put to much pressure on yourself thinking my job depends on this.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

So Class 2 training this week and test on Friday. Must admit I am a little nervous and excited at the same time :slight_smile:

Well best of luck, try to stay chilled! :sunglasses:

Good luck , stay calm and listen to your instructor .
If you feel it’s getting too much take a brake .

Just back from the first day, I see why it’s 4 hour blocks as I’m ready for bed :laughing:

Really enjoyed it though did lots of junctions and roundabouts and finished the day doing some reverses, managed to get it in the box 3 times out of 3 and only took a shunt on the 2nd attempt. Looking forward to tomorrow now.

Well done sounds good, good luck and keep your cool. You’ll be fine :slight_smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good start. Keep it up!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks all

I think my bad habit’s at the moment are approaching roundabouts etc too fast and planning further in the distance, I guess the speed is something I have picked up over the years in my car and I have not yet adjusted to being higher up and having a greater view with the planning. We will get there :laughing:

peterboroughmatt:
Thanks all

I think my bad habit’s at the moment are approaching roundabouts etc too fast and planning further in the distance, I guess the speed is something I have picked up over the years in my car and I have not yet adjusted to being higher up and having a greater view with the planning. We will get there :laughing:

You will find that proper planning is something you really need to learn, when you’re in a loaded wagon you’ll want to keep rolling as much as possible so if you’re looking and calculating as soon as you can before you hit a roundabout it will help you in the long run. However this is a skill that comes in time. When I first started I was terrible at it having never driven anything bigger than a Fiesta but know I’m only half bad at it.

The biggest thing is to stop treating it as you would a car, you are much heavier even running at training weight. When approaching a roundabout, ease off or lightly press the brake pedal to use the exhaust brake. This will slow the truck down at a controllable level. When slowing though, if you see a gap that might be good to use take your foot off the brake then tap the gas pedal. This will cause the box (I’m assuming you are doing it in an auto) to drop a cog or two so the power is there if you need it.

Remember though, just relax and enjoy the drive. Its not often you just drive around in a truck with nowhere to go, no drop to find, you have massive L plates on the truck, you’ve got someone experienced sitting next to you giving you advice and guidance. Kick back, approach every new situation as it comes. Don’t worry if you make a mistake, everyone does :grimacing:

peterboroughmatt:

As I said chill! :sunglasses:

Do as Radar says and take it easy, almost like you’ve a tartan blanket on the parcel shelf :wink: There’s no rush, only to make progress at a reasonable pace. So take your foot off the gas early as all that weight keeps you rolling, and do your braking before you start cornering…

Best of luck for day 2! :smiley:

P.S. Most of us had bad days during our training, so let’s see which day will be yours! :grimacing:

Thanks chaps all the hints and tips are much appreciated. Will report back tonight.