Another newbie joins the fun

Hi everyone, this is my first post but I’ve been looking at this site for a few months now, it’s given me a few good tips and loads of info to bear in mind!

Took my class 2 in November and Class 1 last week, passed both 1st time. I put myself through both with my own money, which definitely gave both an added incentive to pass and also loads of extra pressure I reckon. Now that I’ve got my shiny new licence, and registered with a few agencies, I would just like to ask the more experienced guys out there what kind of work a rookie like me can expect in the first few months or so? Somehow I dont think all the plum jobs will come my way instantly lol :smiley: Also, if anybody has recommendations for reputable agencies around Edinburgh/Lothians (or Glasgow at a push), I would be interested to hear from you.

Finally, I’ve been reading a lot of the posts from guys who are thinking about going for their licence but are in two minds. My advice would be to go for it, I am so glad that I did. It’s always worth haggling over the price too if you are concerned about costs, I managed to ■■■■■ a large chunk off Scania’s original quote up at Newbridge and took them up on their offer, and to all those about to start training or take tests: Good Luck, stay cool and you’ll be fine!
Anyway will keep y’all posted on how I get on work-wise, cheers for reading this, Paul.

harey1983:
Hi everyone, this is my first post but I’ve been looking at this site for a few months now,

Hi harey1983, Glad you got stuck in mate, even though you watched from a safe distance for a while :laughing:

CONGRATULATIONS on the test pass… and your first post…

…and WELCOME to TNUK :smiley:

Welcome to the mad house :wink:

Well Done on passing your test first time :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome and well done!

It depends on your agency but they are more likely to give you some Class 2 multi drop work to start with.
It seems to be standard practice.

Some how agencies seem to think that getting a rigid into 30+ different town centre drop off’s per day, is a lot easier for newbies than doing a straight trunking run!

Personally I reckon they are just a bit sadistic! :smiley:

Good luck and keep us informed!

Alex

It depends on your agency but they are more likely to give you some Class 2 multi drop work to start with.
It seems to be standard practice.

Some how agencies seem to think that getting a rigid into 30+ different town centre drop off’s per day, is a lot easier for newbies than doing a straight trunking run!

Haha scarab I thought you might say that!!! Everyone I’ve spoken to has given the same sort of advice. I dont mind tho, you gotta start somewhere. I’ll happily take whatever im offered.

Try Scanny77 as he not far from you and may be able to help with agency

Well done Harey1983 congratulations on passing and good luck with your job hunt.
regards derek

Hello and welcome :slight_smile:

hello there

if your anywhere near Coatbridge try PL workforce when I lived in Glasgow they always kept me busy

Hello.

Have you tried any companies regarding an HGV1 position ?
I tried a few, some would have liked to have given me a try, only being a newbie insurance was a problem, but eventually one company offered me a day out. The delivery was on time, the truck came back in one piece, and I have been working with them permanently for the last 4 weeks.
Usually 1 or 2 drops, maybe a collection, and it is fridge work, so nice and clean. Some of the locations are a little tricky for a newbie, but I enjoy it.

Try Tesco, 3663, Morrisons, Iceland and Bookers. They all have depots around the Edinburgh/Glasgow areas, you may be lucky ?

Good luck with the search