New member and newish driver

Hi all, it’s a pleasure to become a member & meet you.

I found the forum last night and was amazed by the amount of information & knowledge from the posters. Sites like this are a great and make for great & useful reading…i salute you all!

I’m 35, recently passed my Class 2 (Nov 06) and have lots of questions which i’ll no doubt get round to asking along the way!

Cheers, and heres to the future!

GlesgaBill

Welcome to TN Bill.

Welcome to the site Bill.

Hi Bill. Welcome to the madhouse. :laughing:

are you working yet? if you are running short, pm me. my agency are crying out for drivers

Just saw your message, Scanny i’m in a job at the mo, but it’s not great…i will pm you tonight if that’s ok :sunglasses:

Cheers! :slight_smile:

ps Thanks all for the welcome…appreciated :slight_smile:

if i can help, i will. i am pushing for more drivers to join the agency i work for but only because i am happy with them. i dont recommend a company on a whim, especially agencies. ask driver hire. i wont touch them :laughing:

Just like to agree with scanny on his reply.
Im with the same agency and since passing my c cat a couple of months back have been working as much as legally allowed.
I had to knock back an easy shift tomorrow as ive been on the last six days.

As scanny said it appears they are toiling to fill shifts plus they pay more than the £6.25 that DH are offering :imp: :imp:

Where abouts is your agency based Scanny ?

I’m in Ayrshire do they cover the Glasgow area?

based in livingston. they cover from newbridge to coatbridge at the moment but there is another office opening in bellshill although i dont know when (i am merely a humble but happy driver) yet. the pay is good and the treatment is even better. they look after their drivers and know them individually. they will drop a client who mistreats their drivers which is pretty much unheard of where agencies are concerned. they keep me happy and thats not easy. im a greeting faced SOB. im always moaning about something but they are on the ball. they deserve the credit

Sounds a decent agency, i’m always on the look out for new opertunties.

Could you maybe give us a shout when they get their Bellshill office opened up. I work mostly Glasgow area, East Kilbride, Bellshill is about as far as i go.

I’d go further for tramping work like away monday to friday since commuting aint as much as a problem them just one drive there and back. But day to day Bellshill is about my limit.

how about coatbridge? boots are always asking for drivers and it is a doddle. short shifts (8 hours ish) and it can be shops or trunking. they are usually looking for both. they only downside is that you need a digitach. they run a fleet of 56 reg TGAs which replaced a fleet of 55 reg FMs. i whole year must make a difference :unamused:

Yeah Coatbridge would do, ive got a digi tacho.

As long as its Class 1 don’t mind shop deliveries or trunking.

Tallegs,take it you packed in at the restaurant?
Where you been working this week?

Kenny1975:
Yeah Coatbridge would do, ive got a digi tacho.

As long as its Class 1 don’t mind shop deliveries or trunking.

boots is one of the easier jobs. i was in there for ages but it was costing me a fortune to get there. 3 or 4 drops a day. if you get the 5 pm start, its a single drop in princes street in edinburgh in a forty footer. i think they have 6 backshift runs (starting between 12 and 5pm) and the rest is early morning stuff. the trunking is pretty much 24/7 to carlisle, carnforth or spennymoor. DHL are along at eurocentral. thats general haulage or if you want the occasional treat, take the shift at shotts driving this:

thats a trunk to carnforth or lymm

scanny77:
boots is one of the easier jobs. i was in there for ages but it was costing me a fortune to get there. 3 or 4 drops a day. if you get the 5 pm start, its a single drop in princes street in edinburgh in a forty footer.

Scanny,would be interested to hear how you managed to do a drop in Princes Street with that. :open_mouth:
Was dropping in Rose St./Princes St.yesterday, in a van, absolute nightmare.

you are allowed to use the bus lane after 6pm. coming in from the A8, you get in the bus lane where the road splits off to the left and carry on to the front of the shop

Yes gsm31- I packed in the restaurant about 3 weeks ago and have been working as much as im allowed to since.
Ive just done 5 days at salvessans. Before that 5 days at DHL.
The only problem im having is its costing me about 50 quid in petrol every week as im in Edinburgh and most of the work is up the M8.
Still im getting experience so I cant grumble.
Im back at Salvessans on tuesday then K+N wedneday to friday.
Did an overnight with K+N a couple of weeks ago which was enjoyable- parked up on the promenade in Ayr for the night.
Scanny reckons im losing 50p an hour as im on £7.50 for class 2.
Any views on this as id be a bit peeved if the guys at the agency who I rate highly were taking advantage of me being a newbie who doesnt know any
better.
Any info will be treated in confidence with no names mentioned !! :wink: :wink:

talllegs:
have been working as much as im allowed to since.

did someone call my name? :laughing:

my minimum over the past 2 weeks has been a 10 hour day. tues was the killer for me. i was knackered after 3 trailerloads. i couldnt really complain though. if i hadnt taken the 3rd i would have had a 7 hour day. thats no use to me. gimme 12 hours any day. im trying to earn a living here :sunglasses: