Have you seen any nice birds?

I do a little bird photography too, Kites and Buzzards are a fave as are Dragonflies and butterflies :slight_smile:

Nice shot of the Robin, and like the bokeh in the dragon fly shot.

the nodding donkey:

commonrail:
Heard my first chiff chaff of the year…this week.
Bugger to spot though.

I’ve been hearing a woodpecker in the wood just behind where I live. He’s proving very elusive so far.
I did find a squirrel roost, so I’ll be keeping a close eye on that.

Probably a lesser spotted then.
As green woodpeckers are quite brazen.

Great photos

Twoninety88:
I do a little bird photography too, Kites and Buzzards are a fave as are Dragonflies and butterflies :slight_smile:

I’d get that robin shot down to Max spielmans pronto and made into a canvas.Magnificent.

I know that birds of prey will always have a draw, but for me, the photo is the end product of a good day in the field. I prefer stalking over hide shooting (both with the camera and the air rifle), and often the simplest photos have the best memories. The Tern was shot during a very enjoyable boat trip on the Lauwersmeer, when I visited my family last year. The pheasant was shot a few days later , on Schiermonnikoog, after I chased…err… I mean skillfully stalked it about a sand dune for about ten minutes. :smiling_imp:

commonrail:

the nodding donkey:

commonrail:
Bugger to spot though.

I’ve been hearing a woodpecker in the wood just behind where I live. He’s proving very elusive so far.

I intend to find it, but it will mean scaling a 6 foot wooden fence… :blush:

Not really into knowing types of birds (leave it :smiley: ) as much as some of you guys, but on one of my new daily walks in the countryside this week, me and my boy stood watching these 2 fairly large birds of prey hovering over the wood for about 15 mins, and this crow trying it’s best to deflect them (from it’s nest of young presumably) to the point of even attacking them.
A brave little ■■■■ I thought taking on two of those bad boys single handed. :sunglasses:
(Ornithologist’s jargon is that btw. :laughing: )

Crows will mob Buzzards and Kites, and among otherthings seagulls,its a territorial thing with them. The Buzzards and Kites do manage to evade only by outflying the crows or leaving their airspace eventually. Good to watch as you say!

Had a chat some time ago with a local farmer, singing the praises to his resident crow community,seems they act like a militia to keep the more predatory Ravens at bay,as he farms sheep he had gruesome stories of how ravens can strip lambs to their core in minutes,their beaks in his words “like bolt croppers” :open_mouth:

Twoninety88:
Crows will mob Buzzards and Kites, and among otherthings seagulls,its a territorial thing with them. The Buzzards and Kites do manage to evade only by outflying the crows or leaving their airspace eventually. Good to watch as you say!

Yep, whilst the crows wouldn’t stand a chance in a ‘one to one’ , they can bully the birds if prey because they have more maneuverability than the bigger birds who are build for gliding…

Twoninety88:

And the raptors often invert their flight patterns with a full- talons display as if to say “packing some heat baby,feeling lucky”? :slight_smile:

commonrail:

the nodding donkey:

commonrail:
Bugger to spot though.

Lesser spotted the operative word :smiley:

:laughing:

nice to have storks nesting outside your house…till you see the amount of crap they produce…obviously the diddycoys of the bird wold… :slight_smile:

As an antidote to the relentless bad news, scary news, and downright bizarre, I’ll just keep posting pictures of birds…