Getting there, slowly but surely

Kelberg rates are good - trust me.
Next work for me? My own. Various firms - no crappy freight forwarders.

(0) 1483 737187 Jeremy Kitsell - IDS
Tell him Ian Young sent ya.

TIP trailers.
No deposit and good stock.

Steven Logan
GE Equipment Services
TIP Trailer Services
Internal Account Manager (North)

Direct: +44 (0) 161 776 5906
Fax: +44 (0) 161 776 5948

steven.logan@ge.com

www.tip.ge.com

ianyng:

If your starting to look for your own work, Fridges try Coolload and /or freight traders.com ( both on the web) you may get lucky getting your own work and cutting out the middleman. The only problem with it is that , if your are doing Euro you need to have good cash flow especially for your ferries as you will have to pay for them yourself. This soon mounts up if yopu are doing several crossings per week and waiting to get paid of your customer. This was the final nail in my coffin for me and finished me off completely. I jumped from subcontracting to getting my own work ,great , cutting out the middleman but it backfired.
I couldnt get decent work going out, only coming in., Rates from UK to Europe are terrible if you dont know already. If you can secure a decent paying customer here in the UK to export their goods to Europe you have cracked it! You can get good rates coming back in . I know Funstons (owned by a dutch firm, blue and white) run empty from UK back to Holland because the rates are dire and its quicker for them to send the trailers back empty and reload back to UK!

My bank also refused to issue me an overdraft facility ( abbey national business banking to name and shame them) so I was using a credit card to pay for the ferries. I got my credit card bill in for £14000, still had not been paid by the customer ( was factoring to ease cash flow); the factoring company would not give me any more money until they had been paid by the Customer! Customer was draggin their feet . So I had to stop . I couldnt pay the credit card bill unless I recieved funds and couldnt increase the limit on the card. Bye Bye business!

I had dealings with Kelberg. Wouldnt recommend them for the price you pay. You cant get a decent deal with your dealer if you push for it.But you have to push. They want to make a sale you want to buy. With Kelberg,Paying over £1200 PCM + Vat for a Daf , no R+M, Manufacturers warranty only for 2 yrs, had problems with Daf Dealer here in UK as the vehicle was an import. Be wary!

Trailer Hire: Problems here to, either not trading long enough or they want a bond. That was TIP in Liverpool!!! Managed to get one sorted eventually with TransRent 0161 776 2197. Had fridges initially, good thing about it was you can swap your trailers when you want and when work demands. I found EuroLiner work more buoyant in Europe than Fridge work so swapped fridge for EuroLiner . So this is a good idea of renting your trailer! Go with a reputable company, (Note less reputable companys some charge for tyre wear as well as rental

Fuel Cards. Ad the same problem initially, wanted bond of over £1000. I said thats fine but I want it with interest when you pay me it back because its only going to sit in their bank. Imagine 1000 people putting up £1500 each as bond!!! They refused ( as expected) and then said they would give me 3 months trial but wanted paying fortnighty.This was Total.

AS24 didnt ask me for any bond and pay monthly. IDS are good too, they shudnt charge you. You need to get Toll cards as you can reclaim the VAT back on them and using toll cards you will get a statement each month. You could use a credit card just for this instead.You will get 6 weeks before you have to settle the bill, that way you should have had some money thru by then.

Securicor Fuelserve will assist you in getting back your VAT on Fuel/Tolls. I used them from the outset, takes time ( over 12 months) but they do get it back for you and it usually comes in just when you need it.

KEEP way from companies advertising for Subbies or O/Ds in the Mags (Trucking T&D). They will kill your business within months! They keep going.You lose.
I got one from there ripped me off and put another guy into financial ruin ( lost 3 wagons, his house etc because wasnt paid, guy closed his buiness, Ltd Company, started again under new name. Company was called BlueSal, ran by a Nicholas Augur. He started a New company called BlueSal (Holland) Ltd.
So be careful , very careful. Do some research on who you gonna work for, are they solvent, history etc. Or good word of mouth. Remember Good Companies shudnt need to advertise for Subbies because if they were that good they wud be inundated with subbies or have a preferred subbies list! Companies who advertise obviously cant keep subbies, think about it.

Thanx ianyng and routier for the info, Ive heard of Nicholas Augur( bad things) He’s a real rogue operator, does’nt matter what it is if he can rip u off , he will. routier, sorry things went pear shape for u, knowing what u have to go through, just to start up, and financially, it makes u wonder how some people sleep at night- knowing they are destroying u. What work r u diong now?

is there really enough money in it to take on all the risks mentioned above?
surely as a one man band your better off doing uk only.

topcat:
What work r u diong now?

I sold up 2 yrs ago, couldnt stand the pressure, mounting debt, sleepless nights.wagons getting smashed up, loads getting damaged, trucks getting stolen…!

I had a 2 month old Daf XF Superspace cab stolen, never to be seen again, lost money on that, and then I had spate of incidents with one driver losing a nearly a full load because he forgot to secure it and close the doors properly and then kindly smashed my wagon up several weeks later.

It was sad to see it go after 4 yrs hard graft in building everything up but for the sake of my sanity,my health, my family and to prevent fianancial ruin it was the right move.
Now with the WTD coming into full force, I would have had to sell up anyhow, I was struggling then without the drivers being restricted to a 48 hr week.

Ive heard of Nicholas Augur( bad things),

Yes he is right [zb], Im still hopin to catch him one day. As I say do your research well, I didnt , my error and it cost me.I was still able to carry on but it was tough. Unfortunately for the guy who took his redundancy from a transport company and setup on his own with 3 wagons to sub for Nicholas Augur, lost the lot . What makes me laugh is that his solicitor must be as bent as him, he failed to repsond to any court orders and refused to give details of his whereabouts after losing in court! He is proabably trading under some other name name I reckon, advertising in the Mags for subbies. SO BE WARY!!

Edited for language

TOPCAT you have mail !!!

Thanks for the info MrReliable, (perhaps i should’nt have sold my van!!). That was certainly a good deal, I suppose it’s a stupid question after reading your pm , But why swap ?.

I will also offer a cautionary tale. This time about TIP

I never had to pay any deposit but I certainly paid enough in trailer rental. I got stiched up at MOT time too with a very flexible tape measure for the tyres. After one year paying £780 per month I had to replace 6 super single Michelin Pilotes. I got charged a cleaning fee although you could eat your dinner from inside and outsiide. I went to CTR and got a more flexible deal for a lot less money!

My suggestion as always is to offer traction only till you find what you want to do

Update for testing trucks, Very disappointed with mv trucks. Never had a TGA XL HIGH ROOF, there so tried to sell me a second hand “skinny sized” XL. Sorry but did’nt appeal to me, No real space no good size lockers. So a "quick " drive up to Oxford. Much , much better , i stand to be corrected i thought Volvo’s were’nt flat floor, tried and liked !! also tried superspace (got lost !!) .SPOILT for choice, heads or tails i surspose.
Thanks for info Wheel nut, I’ve had reply’s from uk companys ,just traction only, uk or/ and euro, just got to sit down and work it all out.
ianyng- what euro work r u offering ? pm if u want.
If anybody out there can be of help, with good reputable company’s that need o/d’s, please forward details

Just a thought, reading everyones tales of woe, if you’re buying a brand new truck, get gap insurance.
And also on the lease buy argument, the last truck I got, I bought with an R & M agreement over the time I’m paying for it, works out about exactly the same as lease, but you own the truck at the end, and you don’t have all the crap of a handover anarl.

Topcat - Why are you offering traction only?
Go and get yourself a decent Euroliner and you’ll get some good offers.
I’ll let you know soon whats happening re Euro work - not 100% sure myself yet.
Who’ve you asked for work anyway?
Hopefully nobody that advertises in the mags. You’ll never make any money if you go down that route - I should know, I’m planning my escape as I speak!

Renaultman - The only downside with buying outright, is you can’t offset all the value of the truck against your company tax. With leasing you can.

ianyng:
Renaultman - The only downside with buying outright, is you can’t offset all the value of the truck against your company tax. With leasing you can.

If you own it though you can presumably offset depreciation against tax instead, as well as any interest you’re paying on finance on it.

Paul

As all o/d’s know, the choice of owning v lease is very hard, and can only be made by own personal choice, we have decided to lease. I have read and digested everyone views (ianyng: lease v own forum) These are our reason’s why.

It works out cheaper to lease monthly, so although I won’t own a truck at the end of the period, I will have more cashflow when I need it and will be driving a brand new truck.

No hassle trading/selling the truck for a new one after 3 years.

I wont have to pay a big amount of VAT up front and no big deposit needed. (The main deciding factor as this had a huge effect on our start up costs and initial cashflow)

Everything is under warranty for 2 years so only have to pay for servicing (which is cheaper to do locally than having a package) On the 3rd year you can buy a driveline warranty.

Umm…

Yes I have “mistakenly”(?) contacted companies advertising in the trucking mags, only one of the European Co.s have replied!!! - 79p local European Work, then 97p to Southern Germany, traction only. UK one I thought may be good, but need some research, anyone know anything about Gregory Distribution?

They can’t be all bad that advertise, I think Hanbury Davies are pretty good company to work for. Some companies I contacted are big national companies, still awaiting reply.

repton:

ianyng:

If you own it though you can presumably offset depreciation against tax instead, as well as any interest you’re paying on finance on it.

Paul

Like I said there’s very little in it. But my most imporatnt thought was,
DO NOT FORGET GAP INSURANCE, especially if you’re leasing. :sunglasses:
Oh and I look long and hard about getting full R & M anarl, it certainly works for me, :wink:

I’ll tell you what Archbolds in Leeds pay.

£2100 per trip.
Off that comes trailer hire at just under £100 per week.
Goods in transit on their scheme is compulsory. Approx £30-£35 per trip.
Running money (up front after 1st trip) 1% per cheque deducted. Paid in £100 travellers cheques.
Admin fees for paperwork - not exactly sure on this one.
Extra collections over 2 pick ups 2 deliveries and same coming back is £50 each.
Rates for running further that top end of Italy - negotiable.
Tipping & reloading in Scotland £200.

Not worth doing - thats why I’m getting out.
Most others like Denholm and Ashwort Preece are along the same lines as well.
An o’d can go under working for these type of firms.
Also, they want the loads delivered yesterday - in other words, run bent or lose out.
I’m averaging 3 trips to Italy a month if I’m lucky at the moment, 'cos I wont run bent I miss out on a lot of backloads.
Its the backloads that pay the most money for Archies.
If you can get work going out of UK to Italy - you’ve cracked it.
Backloads are easy to get.

DOVER CALAIS 6.50 Mtrs Accompanied rate (for a large van)
Each way £110.00
1st & 2nd driver Included

DOVER CALAIS 15.00 Mtrs Accompanied rate (for a HGV)
Each way £195.00
1st & 2nd driver included

This is with Harbour Shipping in Dover.
Can anyone better that?

ianyng:

£2100 per trip.
Running money (up front after 1st trip) 1% per cheque deducted. Paid in £100 travellers cheques.
Extra collections over 2 pick ups 2 deliveries and same coming back is £50 each.

Also, they want the loads delivered yesterday - in other words, run bent or lose out.
I’m averaging 3 trips to Italy a month if I’m lucky at the moment, 'cos I wont run bent I miss out on a lot of backloads.

:question: :confused: £2**1[/b]00 ■■**

Not heard anything back about that yet Rob.
No surprise eh?

ianyng:
Not heard anything back about that yet Rob.
No surprise eh?

No… :frowning:

Rob K:

ianyng:

£2100 per trip.

:question: :confused: £2**1[/b]00 ■■**
[/quote]
I knew it was disgusting, but Im astonished.
Chris Brearley was paying £1850 more than 12 years ago. My mate worked for him, I worked for Landcrab and there was £15 difference. That was paid on return of CMR and free running money :exclamation: