Getting there, slowly but surely

Wheel Nut:

Rob K:

ianyng:
I’ll tell you what Archbolds in Leeds pay.

£2100 per trip.
Off that comes trailer hire at just under £100 per week.
Goods in transit on their scheme is compulsory. Approx £30-£35 per trip.
Running money (up front after 1st trip) 1% per cheque deducted. Paid in £100 travellers cheques.
Admin fees for paperwork - not exactly sure on this one.
Extra collections over 2 pick ups 2 deliveries and same coming back is £50 each.
Rates for running further that top end of Italy - negotiable.
Tipping & reloading in Scotland £200.

Not worth doing - thats why I’m getting out.
Most others like Denholm and Ashwort Preece are along the same lines as well.
An o’d can go under working for these type of firms.
Also, they want the loads delivered yesterday - in other words, run bent or lose out.
I’m averaging 3 trips to Italy a month if I’m lucky at the moment, 'cos I wont run bent I miss out on a lot of backloads.
Its the backloads that pay the most money for Archies.
If you can get work going out of UK to Italy - you’ve cracked it.
Backloads are easy to get.

:question: :confused: £2**1[/b]00 ■■**
[/quote]
I knew it was disgusting, but Im astonished.
Chris Brearley was paying £1850 more than 12 years ago. My mate worked for him, I worked for Landcrab and there was £15 difference. That was paid on return of CMR and free running money :exclamation:
[/quote]
Although I never did the euro work, a company I used to work for pulled for Chris Brearley too. It didn’t last long though because of the drivers poured oil over one of the DFDS loads and put the company I was working for out of business.

Anyone beat the ferry prices then?

With reference to rates, what Ian put £2100 approx to Milan area, is what the going rate is for freight forwarders, but most uk companies will pay approx £2100 for exactly same mileage round the uk, So you might get cheap fuel, but you have tolls or vignettes, or tunnel costs; Perhaps its six of one ,half a dozen of the other.

Although I never did the euro work, a company I used to work for pulled for Chris Brearley too. It didn’t last long though because of the drivers poured oil over one of the DFDS loads and put the company I was working for out of business.

On purpose Rob or by mistake? :stuck_out_tongue:

Chris never wasted money on his own drivers, he bought them Leyland T45’s and Steyr :smiley:

ianyng:
I’ll tell you what Archbolds in Leeds pay.

£2100 per trip.
Off that comes trailer hire at just under £100 per week.

You should never pay for trailer use. Its their trailer and the goods on it are for them.You are in fact buying them a trailer! Its so easy , Y dont you get the work, sub it out to owner drivers charge them trailer rental, make money on that, make money on the rate, make money full stop!! Very little risk, very little outlay, all the onus is on the O/D or subbie! And you are not jeopadising your o licence!!!

If you can get work going out of UK to Italy - you’ve cracked it.
Backloads are easy to get.

Yes but that just it, you cant get them, certainly not paying a decent enuff rate. With Archies they will get the ferries for nowt , certainly for a lot less than you will be able to get which then makes the job a bit profitable for them. Again they will not have the overheads as you will have.
[/quote]

Most firms that don’t charge you for trailer hire don’t pay as well though.
Its a no win situation.

I got another good truck insurance quote today, brand new 460; £3473 including IPT @ 5% includes annual green card covering western europe, can get it cheaper if i get 2 yr old truck( think it was 10%) ,every little bit helps !!
The company is Oakland Insurance Services ,tel:08703504133 or fax :08703504233 ask for martin.