Well, thanks for the advice but

I’m going to be applying for a Standard National O Licence next week anyway. :wink:

I’m sure I will have plenty to ask from those who have been down this path before, to anticipate potential problems with the application.

I am applying for a licence for three vehicles and three trailers, in a long-established haulage yard where the Traffic Commissioner would be extremely unlikely to entertain environmental objections, and I would seem to satisfy the requirements for financial standing and repute. I’ve found a VOSA- approved newspaper to advertise the application in.

I only intend to put one vehicle on the road for now, a tractor unit which I will drive myself, although I will keep a trailer there at weekends. I will need to operate for around six months before things start to settle down and I can make a fair assessment of whether this is worthwhile, if it is and I think I can make a profit while paying a fair wage, I will put a second truck on the road, then maybe a third.

Any comments would be welcome, helpful or otherwise!

Good luck with it Harry, and pursue the Premium you desire, as it is far cheaper than others, and will do the same job.

Ken.

Good luck mate think its going to be a tough year. :smiley:

kr79:
Good luck mate think its going to be a tough year. :smiley:

I agree, at the moment I would anticipate getting very little of my own work, but can make a reasonable living, cover my costs and show a profit sub-contacting.

The company I would sub-contract to has paid its invoices on the agreed date (30 day terms) without fail every single due date for decades, I have done a credit check on them too and they are totally sound, which removes a worry.

They do have a long waiting list of willing subbies but I have known the office bods personally for years, have chatted with them about plans, and they are keen to take me on, especially as they are not local to me, and struggle to cover a job which loads on Sunday morning local to me, this would be the start of my week, then I would be doing mainly supermarket distribution for the rest of the week.

It’s not exactly driving to Istanbul but then this is a business plan. :wink:

I hope everything goes well for you Harry, good luck to you fella :wink:

Sadly the work we would like to do and the work that pays best are often two different things.

harry make sure the paper you put your ad in must be circulated in the same area as your proposed operating centre

weewulliewinkie:
harry make sure the paper you put your ad in must be circulated in the same area as your proposed operating centre

Ta, I have found out which paper to use (Faversham Times), I phoned VOSA for advice on this and although they couldn’t tell me what paper to advertise in, they did give me the requirements (15% penetration in the local area, for example), I emailed the Faversham Times a month or so ago and they have confirmed that they meet the requirements.

£115.20 they tell me. :open_mouth:

Thats quite cheap mine was about £240.00.You may get a call off vosa after a couple of weeks to get the name address and phone number of the paper so they can check.
To be fair the case workers at Leeds are very efficient and helpful.

I’m under the understanding that I have to send them the page from the newspaper that the advert appears on within 21 days of the application, that’s what I’m planning to do anyway.

I am sure the TC will find some reason to hold the application up, I understand that decisions have been made recently that TCs are showing a hostile attitude towards potential owner-drivers, for example by suggesting that one person does not have enough hours available to him under the Working Time Directive to both drive a truck and run a one-man company. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I remember that someone on here had to resign as director of his own limited company and appoint his wife as director instead, something neither of them wished to happen.

There are hoops to jump through, I’ll just have to give it my best shot!

good luck with it harry, after you get the licence and truck and start working my only tip for a good start would be treat every penny like a prisoner and watch your cashflow religiously and you wont go far wrong.

Harry Monk:
I’m under the understanding that I have to send them the page from the newspaper that the advert appears on within 21 days of the application, that’s what I’m planning to do anyway.

I am sure the TC will find some reason to hold the application up, I understand that decisions have been made recently that TCs are showing a hostile attitude towards potential owner-drivers, for example by suggesting that one person does not have enough hours available to him under the Working Time Directive to both drive a truck and run a one-man company. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I remember that someone on here had to resign as director of his own limited company and appoint his wife as director instead, something neither of them wished to happen.

There are hoops to jump through, I’ll just have to give it my best shot!

ive found over the years that generally vosa and the tc.s are usually fair but if you give them an excuse to investigate then they will never leve you alone so its false economy to do any dodgy business as it will come back to haunt you even years later

Harry Monk:

weewulliewinkie:

Ta, I have found out which paper to use (Faversham Times), I phoned VOSA for advice on this and although they couldn’t tell me what paper to advertise in, they did give me the requirements (15% penetration in the local area, for example), I emailed the Faversham Times a month or so ago and they have confirmed that they meet the requirements.

£115.20 they tell me. :open_mouth:

Makesure it goes in on a saturday night, the “NIMBY” brigade are usually on the G+Ts early @ the weekend :wink:

best of luck harry ope it goes well 4 ya mate :wink: :wink:

Good luck to you Harry, I have just quit after 20yrs as an O/D. I worked for a shipping line, and the last couple of years have been a real struggle.
I have read many of your posts and you seem to have a decent outlook. The rose tinted dreamer glasses DON’T seem to be in evidence,
so give it a good go. Best wishes and good luck,you will need it. Regards Kevmac47.

Harry Monk:
I’m going to be applying for a Standard National O Licence next week anyway. :wink:

Purely Devils Advocate, but… Why not go straight for the International Licence? Gives you a bit more scope in the future, especially considering you location :bulb:

I am applying for a licence for three vehicles and three trailers

If there’s room at your proposed Operating Centre, why not put, say 6 trailers on the licence from the off? I started with 1 & 1 and found, on several occasions the need for extra or different types of trailer. As you’ll be aware, you don’t need to show FS for the trailers and it’ll save you a few bob if you don’t have to add these later on. :wink:

I only intend to put one vehicle on the road for now, a tractor unit which I will drive myself, although I will keep a trailer there at weekends. I will need to operate for around six months before things start to settle down and I can make a fair assessment of whether this is worthwhile, if it is and I think I can make a profit while paying a fair wage, I will put a second truck on the road, then maybe a third.

Any comments would be welcome, helpful or otherwise!

Best of luck, it is ■■■■■■■ hard at the moment but ■■■■ the doubters and follow your own road. :sunglasses:

Goaty:

Harry Monk:

Purely Devils Advocate, but… Why not go straight for the International Licence? Gives you a bit more scope in the future, especially considering you location :bulb:

I have the National CPC but not the International CPC, I am sitting that exam next Friday. I will upgrade to an International O licence if I pass, but as this is free to do there’s no point in waiting 8 weeks for the exam result to come through.

Good point about applying for extra trailers.

all the best sir for what lies ahead

Ah, sorry, i haven’t been following your CPC adventures! :wink:

I didn’t realise it was free to change from National to International. :confused:

Is this a recent thing?

I’m sure it was a new application a few years back.