O license help!

I’m hoping someone on here may be able to give me some advice on an issue the traffic commissioner has with my license application. My nominated transport manager is currently named on 2 other operators licences (same company but with 2 licences), and is responsible for 6 unit and trailers and 3 wagon and drags, although the licences have permission for up to 15 trailers and units. I recieved a letter from the traffic commissioner yesterday asking for my transport manager to provide a full and detailed breakdown on how she intended to maintain full and effective control of all vehicles which she is responsible for. This also asks for her to include any travelling time between the 3 licence operators, even though we stated in form TM1 that all work would be carried out from the same office. Just wondered if anyone has had any experience of this and a possible example of how to jump this final hurdle? Everything else has been accepted and providing they are satisfied with my response I should have my licence in 2 weeks!! cheers.

from what you have said, they are asking for the explanation from the TM, not yourself, so, pass it onto your TM to write the reply

xfmatt:
I’m hoping someone on here may be able to give me some advice on an issue the traffic commissioner has with my license application. My nominated transport manager is currently named on 2 other operators licences (same company but with 2 licences), and is responsible for 6 unit and trailers and 3 wagon and drags, although the licences have permission for up to 15 trailers and units. I recieved a letter from the traffic commissioner yesterday asking for my transport manager to provide a full and detailed breakdown on how she intended to maintain full and effective control of all vehicles which she is responsible for. This also asks for her to include any travelling time between the 3 licence operators, even though we stated in form TM1 that all work would be carried out from the same office. Just wondered if anyone has had any experience of this and a possible example of how to jump this final hurdle? Everything else has been accepted and providing they are satisfied with my response I should have my licence in 2 weeks!! cheers.

Yes that is true but it’s obviously in my best interests to make sure she puts in all the details required as at the end of the day it’s for my licence. She has never been asked this question before so just thought I would ask if anyone on here has had anything similar. Rang the traffic office but they don’t seem to be the most helpful of people.

xfmatt:
Yes that is true but it’s obviously in my best interests to make sure she puts in all the details required as at the end of the day it’s for my licence. She has never been asked this question before so just thought I would ask if anyone on here has had anything similar. Rang the traffic office but they don’t seem to be the most helpful of people.

I know it’s happened to a friend of mine who is CPC holder for someone else and has a full time job fixing lorries !

It’s part of the recent changes to O licences to stop Agency CPC holders being listed on multiple O licences and not really doing anything

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75361 is connected

xfmatt:

I expect that VOSA are reacting to the change in the rules about nominated transport managers, due to come into force on 4/12/11.

Nominated Transport Managers:-

The mandatory requirement for operators to have nominated Transport Managers will remain but they will either have to be ‘internal’ Transport Managers genuinely linked to the operator (as a full/part-time employee/director or actual owner) or alternatively be ‘external’ Transport Managers contracted to the operator (with a contract specifying tasks to be performed) and not work for more than four operators with a combined maximum fleet of a maximum 50 vehicles (or possibly less in the UK as it is intended that Traffic Commissioners will be permitted to set lower parameters in appropriate cases.)

Nominated Transport Managers will have to be of good repute and be professionally competent.

She will be the “external” manager for you and therefore subject to a bit closer scrutiny than before, especially if she is also “external” to the other two licences.

Regards,
Nick

Edit… apparently typed while Denis was posting :slight_smile:

I have just had to do exactly the same on a recent application.As I am already the TM on two licenses I had to state how many hours and on what dates I carried out the duties for these operators,also what duties I carried out etc.The license was granted,as already stated its a new requirement from the TC’s.

ok so what she is going to do is print off a weekly timetable and shade in the hours she will work for each operator and then follow it up with the duties she will be carrying out. Do you think this should be sufficient?

Probably, this all new, so it remains to be seen what they will accept.
Looking at the regulations, you will have to have a contract with her which details exactly what she will be monitoring for you.

This is an extract from the consultation document.

Annex A
SUGGESTED LIST OF MINIMUM AREAS COVERED BY A CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT BETWEEN AN OPERATOR AND AN ‘EXTERNAL’ TRANSPORT MANAGER

The serial number(s) of the operator licence(s) for which that transport manager will be responsible.
The date of start of employment by the operator in the function of transport manager.
The amount of time which the transport manager will spend in carrying out his or her duties for the operator on each licence.
The activities that the transport manager will take primary responsibility for. As a minimum this will comprise any role in:

1.2The making of arrangements to ensure that drivers comply with hours and tachograph rules and with speed limits;
1.3The maintenance of the applicant’s vehicles, including the inspection of vehicles at the appropriate time and the action taken to remedy defects found;
1.1The reporting and recording of vehicle defects by drivers;
1.2The method of compilation and the accuracy of all records kept, which must be for a period of not less than 15 months;
1.3The making of arrangements to ensure that the applicant’s vehicle/s are not overloaded;
1.4Any role for the transport manager in ensuring that authorised vehicles will be kept at the authorised Operating Centre(s) when not in use;
1.5Any role for the transport manager in notifying the Traffic Commissioner (in writing) of all prosecutions and convictions concerning the company, the drivers and him/herself within 28 days of the court hearing;
1.6Arrangements for notifying the relevant Traffic Commissioner of resignation of a transport manager.
The number of operating centres and number of authorised vehicles for which the transport manager is responsible.
The contractual mechanisms to deal with any other employment or activities in which the transport manager is engaged and which may restrict his/her ability to devote sufficient time to the duties of a transport manager on that operator’s licence(s).
Any role that the transport manager has in:
Verifying contracts and documents;
Basic accounting;
Any other role in safety procedures.

Regards,
Nick

xfmatt:
ok so what she is going to do is print off a weekly timetable and shade in the hours she will work for each operator and then follow it up with the duties she will be carrying out. Do you think this should be sufficient?

Yes state which days and times approximate that she works for each operator.I just stated those details in a letter to the case worker which was shown to the TC,also what duties I would be carrying out,checking tacho’s,maintenance records and that the vehicles and drivers were all operating legally.